Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dosas

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:57 AM

I have recently made trips to a Dosa spot that has been praised quite a lot around this site and elsewhere.
I was terribly dissapointed.

Dosas are one of my favorite foods. It is a pity that Indian restaurants in NYC have really not shared the magic that can come with each bite of a Dosa. Some friends of mine that have traveled to India and had loved Dosas even before making that trip, came back never wanting to eat American Indian Dosas again. There is such a marked difference.

Why is that so? What makes them so different?

Where do you find your favorite Dosa?

What are you looking for in a good Dosa?

What do you think the perfect Dosa should be like?

What should the Sambhaar have in it? What consistency should it be?

What should the chutney be like? What chutneys would you like to eat it with? What do you think are the authentic companions to a Dosa?

#2 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:03 AM

Below is link to a related thread..

Where to go for Dosa?

#3 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:04 AM

Another link

Dosa and Pongal

#4 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:06 AM

And then this one... (thanks Jason for the great pics :smile: )

Getting to know Indian food... (And Dosas)

#5 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:13 AM

And what a bad Dosa can do.....

Bad Dosas at Tamarind

I was told yesterday in confidence that the thread above was responsible for getting the South Indian Platter with Dosas and Idli removed from Tamarinds lunch menu. I will call the restaurant after 1 PM and check about this fact.

I was also told that the Idlis and the sambhaar were prepared at least a week in advance. And how I was correct in assuming that the Idlis were frozen and then microwaved. They most often only refrigerate them, but when they are getting too old to be left in the refrigerator, they were frozen. Hopefully now it is a non issue.

But this is one of the many reasons that I have found few if any good Dosas or Idlis in the US. There are certainly some good places serving good Dosas... but I have yet to find any that come even close to the quality and consistency one finds at Sagar and Woodlands and Dasaprakash in Delhi.

#6 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:14 AM

A good neighborhood place... not a destination.
When in the hood and craving a Dosa and too lazy to get to Hampton Chutney or Pongal... this should do...

Guru

#7 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:20 AM

My favorite Dosa in NYC... I wish the Chutneys were good.
When the Sambhaar is available, it too is the best I have eaten in the US...
But the Dosas are SUPERB!

Hampton Chutney

Well, even in the Hamptons, I find myself craving these Dosas... one would imagine I would be up for trying something new... but knowing that I can go to Hampton Chutney, I find myself quickly at their store front... and eating Dosa in the grass outside. So, for those that commute between NYC and the Hamptons, nothing is lost.... The best Dosas are available in both places. Hampton Chutney makes the best Dosas... the classic recipe is great. The others are wonderful.

The filling in the classic recipe is quite authentic. In fact more so than most South Indian restaurants today. The chefs simply do not care to make the filling authentic. The few I have spoken with blame it on their Bangladeshi crew and how they do not care to follow the exact recipe. I have always told the chefs its their name being maligned. I wish someday some of these great chefs will understand how the dishes carry their stamp.. and in the end, no matter who really cooked the dish, the chef carries the burden... good or bad.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 12:22 PM

We used to love the dosas at Tiffin, but have not had them since the place became Spice Grill (Murray Street between Broadway and Church).

Any thoughts on Dosaria, on 6th or 7th? We're considering eating there before a Sunday matinee in the area -- my aunt keeps kosher, we're tired of Teresa's, and I refuse to go back to Miracle Grill.

#9 anil

anil
  • participating member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 12:58 PM

......-- my aunt keeps kosher, we're tired of Teresa's, and I refuse to go back to Miracle Grill.

I gather Pongal,Dimple and one other restaurant in Lexington Ave. area
are kosher places that serve dosas. Take your pick.

anil
anil

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 03:13 PM

I can certainly try those other places myself, but the whole idea is that I need someplace a few minutes' walk from St. Marks Place. That's why I specifically asked about Dosaria.

#11 jatin

jatin
  • general member
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi friends.. Are you dosa lover? Tell me which flavor of dosa you like to eat in south Indian restaurants.

#12 davythefatboy

davythefatboy
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Tell me which flavor of dosa you like to eat in south Indian restaurants.

Onion Chile Rava Masala Dosa (I usually get a at Saravannas in Manhattan).