• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Heidi Husnak (heidih)

Kim Shook

From Facebook today:

Dear friends, it is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, sister, daughter and aunt; Heidi Maria Husnak. She passed peacefully on December 2, 2023. There will be a service held to celebrate her life on Wednesday, December 13 at 2pm in the Chapel at Green Hills Cemetary in San Pedro which we welcome her friends to join.
Love from her family, Matthew (Son), Chris (Sister) and Heidi (Neice).

I am so sad to hear this news.  She's been such a good, supportive and helpful friend over the years.  
  • Like 2
  • Sad 19

I'm so sorry to hear this. I too have been wondering about her since I had noticed that she hadn't checked in since November 29th. I sent her a couple of messages with no reply. If it is our Heidi I will definitely miss her.

I do Wonder, though, if it is our Heidi, it makes no mention of her father

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

The facebook notice is no longer there.  I'm hopeful/not quite convinced.

I still see the Facebook post in my feed.  The venue mentioned for the service doesn't have an obituary published for her yet. 

Like @Shelby, I noticed that @heidih hasn't been around, mostly because she almost always expressed interest or asked a question about my breakfasts, as she did across eG in all topics. I've been hoping she was OK and just dealing with all the "stuff" she's had on her plate.  

Peace to you, @heidih, peace. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The venue mentioned for the service doesn't have an obituary published for her yet. 

I looked up and saw the same thing.  There are 2 other people listed to have a service on the 13th but not her.  

I Googled the name and this is definitely our Heidi. Lawyer- check. Father, 100 years- check.

Can only hope that it is some kind of a hoax, but I fear that it isn't. She mentioned a while back in one of her posts that her health had been deteriorating.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

Heidi was certainly one of the most prolific members here. She was able to join any discussion, either to contribute or just to push the discussion further with interested questions 😊.

I think we bonded first over her Donauschwaben heritage (or Banat swabian, as she liked to specify) and she took always great interest in food from the old European heartland, a liking we shared. I enjoyed our exchanges in threads and in PMs, the last one over „Eat Pray Love“ just some months ago.  Definitely a character, with a lot of challenges, which she shared in the off-topic forum, but also with an uncompromising positive outlook on life, on (most of) her family and … on us.

I will miss you, @heidih. Ruhe in Frieden 🙏

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12

Like Bruce said, @heidih was always sharp and witty.  I always enjoyed her unique perspectives and our shared fondness and love of nature.  Certainly will be missed in these parts (and others). 

May her memory be a blessing to those she knew and always in ones heart.

• Like 7

OMG!

I am shocked!

She was very good to me.

She sent me two cards when I was in the nursing and therapy facility.

She will be sorely missed.

RIP, Heidi 

• Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m speechless. I’m really hoping this isn’t true. I can’t find anything confirming  anything online, other than the FB post. 

And where is that FB post?

Heidi’s misspelled posts were due to a keyboard software issue, which she mentioned previously. 

She’s also taken breaks from social media and posting at times. 

Maybe I’m a fool, but I’m very hopeful that this is some type of hoax. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The venue mentioned for the service doesn't have an obituary published for her yet. @Shelby @heidih

Is this the venue?  There's nothing scheduled for her on Dec. 13th which is the date mentioned in the Facebook post.

https://greenhills.co/deceased-green-hills-la/

Tentative R.I.P. (but I'm hoping that's premature)

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1