How right you are! This is a subject worth mentioning again and again. I was not aware of this for years and have often thought of the risks that I was taking.
According to the CDC, "You cannot see, smell, or taste botulinum toxin – but taking even a small taste of food containing this toxin can be deadly."
I had a slight bout of food poisoning for my birthday this year and I still think that it was the chicken breast with butter sauce with fresh garlic. It was from a restaurant that is usually very busy, but with the pandemic and less business they probably just kept garlic in melted butter too long at room temperature.
Unless you plan to keep some in the freezer, garlic oil is so easy to make. Just make up what you need and pitch the rest. It's not worth the risk!