Jump to content

Tropicalsenior

participating member
  • Content Count

    670
  • Joined

  • Last visited

2 Followers

Profile Information

  • Location
    San Joaquin Costa Rica

Recent Profile Visitors

3,324 profile views
  1. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    Okay, I should have said perfect hard boiled eggs. I don't think that I would ever cook a 3-minute egg in the IP. In fact, I'm sure I wouldn't. I don't like them.
  2. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    https://rasamalaysia.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/. I made it on the stove with boneless chicken thighs.
  3. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    I'm always sad when I hear someone say that they haven't IP and they are afraid to use it. I probably have more reason to be afraid of it than a lot of people because 3 weeks before I got mine, my Oster pressure cooker blew up. I was about eight feet from it and didn't get hurt but my kitchen is 15 by 20 and it splattered every wall and everything in my kitchen. Three weeks later I got mine, but it's a Chinese knockoff that is built just like an IP. It was the only thing available in Costa Rica at the time. It has all the safety features of an IP and I use it three or four times a week with no
  4. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    Thank you again for this recipe. I made it last night and it was great. I also made their butter chicken and it was one of the best that I have tried. Made it on the stove top instead of in the IP.
  5. I agree, it's not a butter paddle. I have intimate knowledge of butter paddles. My mother's idea of discipline was contact on the bare bottom with one of these. Highly effective!
  6. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    Thank you so much. It comes just in time for my weekly shopping trip and I can gets some fresh yogurt. Their butter chicken recipe also looks very interesting. Looks like it's Indian food this weekend.
  7. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    It sounds just like what I have been looking for. Would you be willing to share a recipe, please?
  8. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    I will admit that your fish and chips always look beautiful. Someday you are going to have to post your recipe for beer batter.
  9. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    Here again we have different cultures, different solutions. Beef fat is totally unavailable. The only breed of cattle they have here is the type of Brahma that has no fat and no marbling. I don't deep fry because good cooking oil is so expensive and my only other choices are lard and palm oil which I refuse to use. So I'm left with the oven roasting or stir fry. Come to think of it, I haven't had good fish and chips for over 30 years.
  10. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    Just out of curiosity, is butter not available at all in China?
  11. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    The trick is parboiling them in a little bit of soda. Check with mr. Google, there are a lot of references about the effect of crisping and Browning. Yeah, if you're deep frying your potatoes (which I never do) I can see not using the soy sauce. But please check out the effect of the baking soda. It really does make a difference. I've been fighting with these ugly potatoes here in Costa Rica for 30 years and have learned a few things over the years that do help.
  12. Tropicalsenior

    Dinner 2021

    All the potatoes here in Costa Rica are hopeless for frying but I finally figured out a way to do it. I cut them in wedges and boil them until they are just about done. I add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Then I drain them and let them thoroughly dry. I stir fry them in about 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of oil. Last night, on a hunch, I added a teaspoon of dark soy sauce to the butter and oil and it took them right over the top. Dark and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just the right amount of salt. I wish that I had taken a picture.
  13. My husband was such a packrat that I refused to have a 'kitchen drawer'. I have a small basket on top of the counter and at the end of the week it is gone through and everything goes back to its place. If it doesn't have a place it gets pitched. I didn't dare let him cook anything in the kitchen because it took an act of Congress to clean up after him. Having worked in restaurants for years, I am a person with a place for everything and everything in its place and even though things had been in the same place for 20 years he never could find them. Then again, on the plus side, I
  14. I've heard it said that when you move you unpack 90% of everything in the first 10 days. The other 10% can take 10 years. If it has been more than 10 years it is time to buy a new one.
  15. Don't worry. Now that you've replaced it with two new beautiful, expensive copies, you'll find it. And probably it will be in the first place that you looked.
×
×
  • Create New...