• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Heidi Husnak (heidih)

Kim Shook

Just now, Chimayo Joe said:

Is this the venue?  There's nothing scheduled for her on Dec. 13th which is the date mentioned in the Facebook post.

https://greenhills.co/deceased-green-hills-la/

Tentative R.I.P. (but I'm hoping that's premature)

it is. And I haven’t found anything else that would also confirm her death. My apologies if this is off topic or out of line.  This all just seems shocking to me and out of nowhere. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

And where is that FB post?

Dear friends, it is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, sister, daughter and aunt; Heidi Maria Husnak. She passed peacefully on December 2, 2023. There will be a service held to celebrate her life on Wednesday, December 13 at 2pm in the Chapel at Green Hills Cemetary in San Pedro which we welcome her friends to join.
Love from her family, Matthew (Son), Chris (Sister) and Heidi (Neice).

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Dear friends, it is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, sister, daughter and aunt; Heidi Maria Husnak. She passed peacefully on December 2, 2023. There will be a service held to celebrate her life on Wednesday, December 13 at 2pm in the Chapel at Green Hills Cemetary in San Pedro which we welcome her friends to join.
Love from her family, Matthew (Son), Chris (Sister) and Heidi (Neice).

Weird thing is I can't bring that up - I can see her Facebook but I'm not a 'friend' so perhaps that's why. 

How terribly sad. I feel like she just posted in a recent thread, but it has probably been longer than I thought. Maybe in the Christmas prep thread? I can't imagine not seeing her posts everytime I visit eG. RIP heidih and thank you for your part in making eG a fun and helpful community.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

This is so sad.  I remember her talking about her son Matt, so I am pretty sure it's real.  She had so much to deal with near the end of her life - from issues with her aged father and his wife to son's medical problems as well as her own.  I will miss her interactions - she always had something interesting to say and I will personally miss discussing plants and gardening with her of which she was passionate and very experienced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is all very unfortunate how the fact checking is playing out, but regardless, Heidi has always been such a supportive eG friend, and was always a boost of confidence and joy for me back in the early days. I sure have missed our interactions here in the forum.

• Like 4

I can't believe this.  She was so good to me on eG from Day one.  I'm just home one hour so I missed the last week of posts.  Heidi and I 'talked'  on messenger so many times and we go back so far, from when I first joined.  Sorry.  I'm not making any sense.  But I am devastated.  Dear dear Heidi.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm still reeling. It's so very difficult to believe, and terribly unjust, given her family circumstances. She was my window into the L.A. food scene, and we had similar reminiscences about food trends. RIP, Heidi.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Terrible news.  I was hoping it was a case of Mark Twain type great exaggeration.   Since that doesn't appear to be the case, I guess I need to accept the sad news.  She was a pillar of this place and will be greatly missed.  Extra sad that her father outlived her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Heidi hosted and oversaw the eG Foodblogs for years when she was a host. She also took a turn at the wheel. In case you've never read it, or would like to reread it, here it is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This is something of a shock. She was part of the hosting team when I first began, and she was always ready to help, and to respond to my endless questions. We kept touch after she stepped down from being a host, but this was often sporadic, and it had been a while since I'd hear from her. I'll miss her.

• Like 3

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

On 12/10/2023 at 8:18 PM, Smithy said:

Heidi hosted and oversaw the eG Foodblogs for years when she was a host. She also took a turn at the wheel. In case you've never read it, or would like to reread it, here it is.

Thank you for posting this link.  I just read the whole blog.  She wrote a great one, I could almost taste and smell the produce.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is terrible and very sad news- not only because she was respected any very helpful member whose posts I liked to read but we shared a connection, even accross the Big Pond, that we talked about (I knew her cousin who was assisstant professor at my University). She will be sorely missed. Rest in peace (laka ti zemljica).

Edited by Wolf (log)
  • Like 4

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde