• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP: Mimi Sheraton

SLB

“Well, whether they’re right or not, which means they agree with me,” she told The Times wryly in 2004, “food writers in general devote too much space to chefs’ philosophies. They’re not Picasso, after all — this is supper. So I don’t want to hear about a chef’s intentions. Call me when it’s good.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/06/dining/mimi-sheraton-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Food

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

For those who do not have access to the NYT article

Here.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Many years ago, I was invited to a friend's house for dinner. Sheraton and her husbands were one of the 8 couples invited.

Food was not the main topic of conversations that evening. I was not much into reading food reviews and didn't start a conversation about food with her. The only thing I remember about that dinner was her husband made a few comments about she being overweight, and she seemed not offended by him. 

RIP.

dcarch

Inner workings of a marriage -  mystery. But even as a person not reading reviews I knew who she was , A force. I appreciated reading the obits because I did not realize the breadth of her impact. I think I "accidentally" clicked on a NYT promo so I saw it right away. 

Edited by heidih (log)

44 minutes ago, dcarch said:

The only thing I remember about that dinner was her husband made a few comments about she being overweight, and she seemed not offended by him. 

She seems to have had a pretty good sense of humor in that regard.  One of her quotes that often comes up was:

“What finally prompted me to lose weight was a view of myself in a hairdresser’s full-length mirror when I was seated and wearing one of the salon’s floral print robes and realized that I looked like a slipcovered club chair.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3