• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

Host's note: most sales, deals and bargains in the previous segment have already passed, but if you want to peruse the earlier posts in this topic, click here.

I'm signed up for advanced notice of sales at Crappy Tire - this just showed up in my inbox

3d3ce45e-6.gif Sales Alert
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif Upcoming Deals
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif Dear Customer,
As an exclusive member of my Canadian Tire, you are receiving advance notice of sale pricing on products you flagged for Sale Alerts.
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif dbe9d945-c.gif Product Description dbe9d945-c.gif Price dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
0431274_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN dbe9d945-c.gif

Cuisinart Steam Convection Toaster Oven, 6-slice 
PRODUCT #0431274

Cuisinart Steam Convection Toaster Oven is a combo steam and convection oven. Steam allows foods to retain valuable nutrients, ...

21abfb94-a.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif Sale: $259.99 
Reg: $349.99 
Save 25% 

Sale Dates:
Oct 21 - Oct 27

dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
0431496_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN dbe9d945-c.gif

Philips Airfryer 
PRODUCT #0431496

Philips Airfryer features healthy frying with Rapid Air technology for crisp and even results in minutes. The unique design ...

21abfb94-a.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif Sale: $199.99 
Reg: $249.99 
Save 20% 

Sale Dates:
Oct 21 - Nov 10

dbe9d945-c.gif
dbe9d945-c.gif
Prices reflect national pricing and may vary by geographic region.
Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2

well ............

260 for the CSB does not look that good

however  ExChange to USD  :

198  USD

looking much better

V1  and V2 are more or less the same

if you can't figure out the Steam Clean cycle in V1

and need the button-we in V2

Id just move along

just saying

Phew @Kerry Beal.  Don't need to berate you for being an enabler this time.  I have an Airfryer and I still have no room for a CSO.   So there xDxD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More Kindle cookbooks that are cheap right now:

Flour + Water: Pastair?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00JI58UA (Thomas McNaughton, $1.99)

Love & Lemonsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B012QH4X2 (Jeanine Donofrio$1.99)

The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from my Parisian Kitchen (Clothilde Dusoulier, $1.99)

Fresh From the Farmer's Market: Year-Round Recipes for the Pick of the Cropir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B005RDJTE (Janet Fletcher, $2.99)

As always, I'm not endorsing any of these; I just happened to notice that they were on sale. If any of these were on your "maybe" list, here's an opportunity to get them for less, at least temporarily.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

For those looking to get into the sous vide world, or get a second circulator:

http://www.target.com/p/anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker/-/A-50496808?clkid=adda83b4N4bd3722cee31585650401474&lnm=79373&afid=BFAds&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002

plus use the code KITCHEN for an additional 20 percent off, and a final price of $111.75. Plus you can get an additional $10 back if you sign up for eBates and it's your first purchase.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This doesn't fall into the "bargain" category but I was surprised to see a product at Walmart today.

I don't shop there often but a neighbor reported that the local supercenter is now carrying  Martha White and White Lily self-rising cornmeal.  (Not yet carrying the flour products)

However, the product that startled me was  Xanthan Gum.  Right there on the shelf next to the almond meal and coconut flour.

The store is stocking unusual baking ingredients "superfoods" flours, powders and etc.  They even have some King Arthur Flour products.

Several gluten-free products and specialty flours.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Good find, Andie.  I recently discovered that Jet.com carries a lot of White Lily and Martha White products at what I consider good prices and deliver quickly.  Been eating a lot of corn bread lately and plan on biscuits and gravy as soon as the weather cools off.  I like ordering online and not having to go shopping, especially among "Walmartians."  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I buy the white dent dried corn from Great River (25 pounds) and grind my own cornmeal.  

They now sell via Amazon so with Prime, shipping is free.

I keep it in the freezer so it doesn't go rancid.  I like to grind some medium coarse and some fine and combine the two, I find the texture of the cornbread is so much better that way.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Impulse buy at Sam's this morning, because you can never have too many mixing bowls:

bowls.jpg

Wolfgang Puck mixing bowl set; four bowls, ranging from 1-quart to 10-quart; a grating disc and a slicing disc; a colander; a silicone top for each bowl. Sams has them for $29.98, with $10 off in "instant savings" today. No clue how long that will last. Amazon lists them for $30.88.

Decently heavy mixing bowls; mine will shortly go in the dishwasher and then into the cabinet.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

I have about a hundred mixing bowls.  Most are "vintage" pottery from the '20s and '30s, a lot are Pyrex, Hazel Atlas, Federal, Anchor Hocking from the '30s and '40s '50s and some are newer from the '60s, '70s and '80s.  Haven't bought many newer ones but I do have a set of the stainless steel Vollrath SS mixers - I think there are 10 in the set.  

I did have some with the silicone or whatever it was, non-slip bottoms.  They did not survive my old dishwasher - the commercial Hobart.  

• Like 5

I just got rid of a beautiful set of 3 stainless mixing bowls; I just never use them and I need to start downsizing.  I have too much of everything, particularly kitchen ware because I have always loved the stuff way too much.

I just don't know how to best dispose of all the stuff.  In a smallish town there isn't much in the way of outlets for this sort of thing.  Craigslist doesn't bring in enough to outweigh the trouble.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

More Kindle books that are currently inexpensive:

One Dough, Ten Breadsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B010KNBI2

Gjelinair?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B013L9R78

The Art of Living According to Joe Beefir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B004JN1CM

Chocolate Holidaysir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B014I7TWS and Flavor Floursir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00MEY9T6 (Alice Medrich)

Baking with Less Sugarir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00MJMJO5 (I love love love this book!)

Roots: The Definitive Compendiumir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B009F3GCV

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Thanks @MelissaH

I instantly snagged the Joe Beef one!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I snagged "Beautiful Breads and Fabulous Fillings: The Best Sandwiches in America," by Margaux Sky, for 99 cents on Amazon this morning. With that kind of title, it's CERTAINLY worth a buck to find out what's inside!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

A plague on all your houses!  I must stop looking at this topic...but first, I'll provide an Amazon link to Beautiful Breads and Fabulous Flavorsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002E58OO, which is the third book to land just today in my Kindle app.  99 cents, indeed.  AND her restaurant is in San Luis Obispo, where I might actually get an opportunity to visit.  AND it has bread recipes as well as sandwich recipes.  And I anticipate time to start baking again soon. Oh, my ducats! Oh, my dollars!  

(With apologies to William Shakespeare)

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Reading it now. There's a ginger-goat cheese bread I'm DYING to try. But her proportions are pretty massive; I'll be cutting recipes for bread in half (18 cups of flour, y'all? Seriously?). Not to mention, who puts a CUP of peanut butter on TWO sandwiches? Even big sandwiches?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

A plague on all your houses!  I must stop looking at this topic...but first, I'll provide an Amazon link to Beautiful Breads and Fabulous Flavorsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002E58OO, which is the third book to land just today in my Kindle app.  99 cents, indeed.  AND her restaurant is in San Luis Obispo, where I might actually get an opportunity to visit.  AND it has bread recipes as well as sandwich recipes.  And I anticipate time to start baking again soon. Oh, my ducats! Oh, my dollars!  

(With apologies to William Shakespeare)

Perhaps we should task Melissa with setting up and administering a support group. We could call it the CIA. Cookbook Inhalers Anonymous.  She might be able to register it as a charity and even apply for government grants.   Much stranger things have happened.  

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

I just bought Gjelina.  Reviews looked good, can't lose for $2.99

Yeh, that's what I keep saying.  Truly, it isn't much money for any given sale-priced book - less than a fancy cup of coffee, or going to a movie - but like any collection or habit, it adds up.  I take consolation that electrons don't weigh much and aren't likely to collapse my bookshelf.  9_9

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 hours ago, kayb said:

Reading it now. There's a ginger-goat cheese bread I'm DYING to try. But her proportions are pretty massive; I'll be cutting recipes for bread in half (18 cups of flour, y'all? Seriously?). Not to mention, who puts a CUP of peanut butter on TWO sandwiches? Even big sandwiches?

Yeah  I fell for this one!  Put bread in the title and I'm a sucker for it. But I'm darn glad it was cheap. I would suggest it was never edited and the recipes were never tested. Some of the quantities are so bizarre that it might just as well be posted in the food funnies forum as here. How about 2lbs of salmon, 1 cup pine nuts, 1 cup grated cheese, 1 cup chopped tomatoes for TWO (2) sandwiches. And that by no means is the only example. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Dammit. And damn one-click ordering, while I'm at it.

@Anna N, I noted some of the "heroic proportions" in the sandwich recipes. Must be some significantly large sandwiches. But some of the combos do interest me.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Dammit. And damn one-click ordering, while I'm at it.

@Anna N, I noted some of the "heroic proportions" in the sandwich recipes. Must be some significantly large sandwiches. But some of the combos do interest me.

I think if you use it for inspiration you can come to no harm.  As for following the recipes.... I think anyone does so at their own risk or if they are inexperienced at the risk of their beloved KitchenAid! 16 cups of flour  requires something more than what most of us consider to be a stand mixer. My first clue that  I was not in good hands was the bread recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of yeast without any specification of what kind of yeast.  If you are a baker it's not difficult to read into the recipe and figure out that it is active dry yeast but a newbie might be left high and dry on this one.  

My 2004 eG Blog