• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show us your latest cookbook acquisitions!

weinoo

What a great topic! Of course, what if a recent acquisition is a book published in 2021...imagine the neuroses?

I've only bought used stuff this year, and will probably continue down that path. I figure something has to be pretty great and groundbreakingly new to be worthy.

Of course there's this one...

image.png.82a40d50f4440e30010775d058f014b9.png

And I also picked this up, for a song...

IMG_3981.thumb.JPG.a998617c45510f595d7a674416667df0.JPG

And this one, for a hoot and a holler...

56016371_HowtoCook.thumb.jpeg.021032c90fea52cbdc221c7167af2cd3.jpeg

And @paul o' vendange better stop posting pix of all those neat French books! I'm looking at you, Georges Blanc...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

What a great topic! Of course, what if a recent acquisition is a book published in 2021...imagine the neuroses?

I've only bought used stuff this year, and will probably continue down that path. I figure something has to be pretty great and groundbreakingly new to be worthy.

Of course there's this one...

image.png.82a40d50f4440e30010775d058f014b9.png

And I also picked this up, for a song...

IMG_3981.thumb.JPG.a998617c45510f595d7a674416667df0.JPG

And this one, for a hoot and a holler...

56016371_HowtoCook.thumb.jpeg.021032c90fea52cbdc221c7167af2cd3.jpeg

And @paul o' vendange better stop posting pix of all those neat French books! I'm looking at you, Georges Blanc...

Raymond Sokolov -- one of my favorite food writers.  I'm a hoarder but I've sadly been clearing out old magazines.  Including Natural History.  How I miss Sokolov's food columns.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Raymond Sokolov -- one of my favorite food writers.  I'm a hoarder but I've sadly been clearing out old magazines.  Including Natural History.  How I miss Sokolov's food columns.

Indeed a great writer.

I was looking at my giant stack of Saveur - maybe almost every issue. But I can't/shant keep them much longer; not like they're used for reference. And besides, every recipe is findable online (??). But there was a time when their articles were very good, nice photography, etc.etc.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yes I felt like that with my Gourmet and Saveur. I did keep all of the late Laurie Colwin articles and Nancy Silverton’s extensive bread article which describes how she collects her yeast

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Indeed a great writer.

I was looking at my giant stack of Saveur - maybe almost every issue. But I can't/shant keep them much longer; not like they're used for reference. And besides, every recipe is findable online (??). But there was a time when their articles were very good, nice photography, etc.etc.

Have you thought of "lamp-posting" your magazines when you decide do let go of them?    Our house is on a rat-track to a popular Sunday farmer's market.   I put out a "free" box of cooking magazines.    It's fun to see people stop and "shop", cramming as many as they can into backpacks and shopping bags.    And to know they are going to good homes rather than recycle.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

22 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Have you thought of "lamp-posting" your magazines when you decide do let go of them?    Our house is on a rat-track to a popular Sunday farmer's market.   I put out a "free" box of cooking magazines.    It's fun to see people stop and "shop", cramming as many as they can into backpacks and shopping bags.    And to know they are going to good homes rather than recycle.

That's a great idea. We live out in the country, so it wouldn't work for us, but you've given me an idea. (I tried in vain to find a library that would let me donate my collection to their used book sales. No dice.) Much of my magazine collection has already gone to recycling, but since our Farmers' Markets will reopen this summer (I hope) they're a potential giveaway source. Hmm, even the Little Free Libraries are a possibility.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 6 months later...

Not 2021 but new to me, Stephen Harris' The Sportsman.    This is the one restaurant in the world I am sorry not to have visited.   I recently made a dish created by Harris and it was simple but spectacular.   (A guest begged to be sent the recipe.)    This book is probably 60% armchair travel and chef philosophy and 40% approachable recipes.   I picked up a copy used on Amazon for $12.99, listed as "very good" but to my appraisal "in new" condition.    It a lovely book.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, hotsaucerman said:

not new but i just got both the state bird and prune cookbooks off ebay this week and am loving both.

anyone get cheryl day's southern baking book and have thoughts?

I really enjoyed Prune. I just opened my Kindle edition and it fell on the braised rabbit legs recipe!  Yes!  Never made it but drooled a lot. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/12/2021 at 12:55 AM, hotsaucerman said:

not new but i just got both the state bird and prune cookbooks off ebay this week and am loving both.

anyone get cheryl day's southern baking book and have thoughts?

Could you say more about Prune?

Since I haven't seen it posted elsewhere...

GabrielKreuther12142021.jpg

Beautiful book and backstory.  About a third of the pages are traditional Alsatian farmhouse cooking.  The rest are restaurant dishes.  Kreuther is generous with his recipes, as well as giving credit to other chefs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, andrewk512 said:

Tacos by Stupak and Rothman - haven't read this one yet, but flipped through it at a store a month ago. I feel like it's going to be awesome

Flip through the index, especially ‘S’

Host's note: this was moved from the Cookbooks 2021 topic.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:07 PM, TdeV said:

Could you say more about Prune?

Sorry for the late reply: I'd say it is presented as a cookbook but it really just reads as recipes Hamilton would give to chefs in her kitchen? There's not a lot of hand holding and her personality (brusque?) comes through, but these are positives for me. I'd say this is a good cookbook for someone who's an intermediate home chef that's also a bit of a romantic. I'd probably recommend "taste and technique" over "prune" since there is a lot of "why" in T&T and almost none in "prune". Still, I'm enjoying "prune" a ton. Also helps that I got it for like 8 bucks on ebay ha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maida Heatter's Cakes (thanks @heidih)

5175cy1tV6L._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rose Levy Barenbaum's Cake Bible  (thanks  @weinoo)(Hmm.  I'm sensing a trend here.  Namely, I've always sucked at cakes).

51g0MJv7K0L._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Un artiste au Grand Véfour," by Guy Martin.  I have several others by him, including the massive and gorgeous Le Grand Véfour.  I think his, Georges Blanc's, and Roger Vergé's are my favorite French chef's cookbooks.  Frédy Girardet gets the Swiss nod.

612zcV2uVHL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Let's Eat France!: 1,250 specialty foods, 375 iconic recipes, 350 topics, 260 personalities, plus hundreds of maps, charts, tricks, tips, and ... you want to know about the food of France," by François-Régis Gaudry.  Looks goofy, pretty exhaustive, and a lot of fun.

51RPkD6evqL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Cook and the Gardener, by Amanda Hesser.  I love narrative cooking books like this, and especially love "a year in....." books that  chronicle the changing mood as well as produce of the seasons; this one promises to be a good one.  

51DJ4S46FHL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 4

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

1 hour ago, hotsaucerman said:

Sorry for the late reply: I'd say it is presented as a cookbook but it really just reads as recipes Hamilton would give to chefs in her kitchen? There's not a lot of hand holding and her personality (brusque?) comes through, but these are positives for me. I'd say this is a good cookbook for someone who's an intermediate home chef that's also a bit of a romantic. I'd probably recommend "taste and technique" over "prune" since there is a lot of "why" in T&T and almost none in "prune". Still, I'm enjoying "prune" a ton. Also helps that I got it for like 8 bucks on ebay ha

I really like her bio, Blood, Bones & Butter.  I love her saltiness.  I passed on Prune but you've got me intrigued, now.  Thanks.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

6 hours ago, hotsaucerman said:

I totally agree with Gabrielle's voice (which I love) coming through in Prune and that it seems like her instructions for her restaurant dishes. I borrowed it and Blood Bones and Butter from my local library to read and probably will do so again until I break down and buy a copy.

5 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

I really like her bio, Blood, Bones & Butter.  I love her saltiness.  I passed on Prune but you've got me intrigued, now.  Thanks.

I also enjoyed BB&B.  Do keep an eye out for Prune. I suspect you'd enjoy it, too. 

• Thanks 1