• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Cookbooks

rajsuman

Here is my list of Indian cookbooks- not in any particular order.

1. The Indian Vegetarian by Neelam Batra

2. Chilis to Chutneys - Neelam Batra

3. Curried Flavors - Maya Kaimal MacMillan

4. Savoring the Spice Coast of India - Maya Kaimal

5. Turmeric Trail - Raghavan Iyer

6. Indian Regional classics - Julie Sahni

7. Classic Indian Cooking - Julie Sahni

8. Art of South India Cooking - Alamelu Vairavan & Patricia Marquardt

9. Healthy South Indian Cooking - Alamelu Vairavan & Patricia Marquardt

10 Aharam - Sabita Radhakrishna

11. Samayal - Viji Vardarajan

12.Laxmi's Vegetarian Kitchen - Laxmi Hiremath

13. The Indian Spice Kitchen - Monisha Bharadwaj

14. A taste of Madras - Rani Kingman

15. Amma's Cookbook- ammas.com

16. Dakshin - Chandra Padmanabhan

17. 101 Kerala Delicacies - G. Padma Vijay

18. Modern Kerala Dishes -Mrs.K.M. Mathew

19. Fresh Flavors of India - Das Sreedharan

20. The Cooking of India - Santha Rama Rau

21.The art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking - Yamuna Devi

22 - 24. Cook and See- Traditional South Indian Vegetarian Recipes (three volumes) by S. Meenakshi Ammal

25. Tasty 200 - Kuppammal G. Nayagam

26. Tasty treats from South India - Krishna Kannan

27. Southern Delights- recipes to Remember from Palakkad - Parvathy Akhileswaran

28- The Spice is right - Monica Bhide

29.The Everything Indian Cookbook - Monica Bhide

30. Curries and Bugles - Jennifer Brennan

31The Essential Kerala Cookbook - Vijayan Kannampilly

32. Cuisines of India - Smita Chandra

Cookbooks in Malayalam:

Grihalakshmi- Nalini Sreedharan

Paachaka Kurippukal – Rugmini Veeraraghavan

Nammude Nadan Karikal – Suma Sivadas

Indian Food related books:

The story of our Food – K.T. Achaya

Indian Food – A Historical Companion – K.T.Achaya

A Historical Dictionary of Indian Food – K.T.Achaya

The Hour of the Goddess – Chitrita Banerji

Bengali Cooking- Seasons and Festivals – Chitrita Banerji

Anthropology of Sweetmeats - Anil Kishore Sinha

I also have a collection 120 International cookbooks.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

I also have a collection 120 International cookbooks.

Ammini

Being a Cabinetmaker by trade I could probably make quite a few bucks building sturdy bookcases for some of the gargantuan cookbook collections described in this thread :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just doing an edit on this post

I could not get my hands on The turmeric trail, Ain e akbari – abul fazl, Oxford companion to food and Historical companion to Indian food by Achaya (though Vikram has promised to help me out with atleast a couple of those....

I did get Ultimate Curry Bible, Vikram also gave me Food in History - R. Tannahill

So my total stands at 19. (Total cookbooks number 36.) Will recount post the birthday...

Rushina

Bought Monica Bhide's Everything Indian and Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking today.

More later, when books get delivered.

The books arrived!

And the cover of Indian Home Cooking is even better look then what you see on amazon.com.

The colors are just so fresh and indian and also have good feel and look. Book looks more like table top book for design accent. I know gf will want to decorate side table with the book. I have quickly read through book. Could not stop myself from wanting to see all photographs. One more better than the previous. It beats Methome actually, I hope I do not get Suvir into trouble with editors there. Both very different really. Book is competing at same level as the bigger name chef books, I am sure Suvir pay more money for photograph then he makes from book. It will make big difference. I showed my neighbor the book and he could not believe this was Indian food. So different from restaurant and other book stuff he said. And yes so true.

Monica, thanks for so many recipes. I will give your book to colleague that want to see the books I rave about. I get into trouble with gf if I give away both books. I know she wants to see them too. Methome story has made us very proud. Thanks.

Will cook from books and say more later. You all make us proud.

Suvir, your book will have us hungry, you write well (with Stephanie) and share good stories about your dishes. And your food is like home food we eat as my family traveled all across India and Middle East. Thanks.

Essential Goa Cookbook, The - Maria Teresa Menezes I don't know why, I didn't like this much. Goan cuisine is really delicious and historically very interesting because of the fusion between so many cultures - Portueguese, Hindu, Muslim. There is a long and lively Goan tradition of appreciating and writing about food. Menezes somehow doesn't do this justice

I've finally got down to doing a count - ok, it was a good excuse to arrange this book shelf :laugh:

164 Indian cookbooks (I'm not including ones on Asian cooking that include a chapter on Indian cooking - I have about 30 of those!) and 4 on their way...

Edited to add these books are in English, French, Hindi and Marathi (I'll soon be adding Dutch to that list)...

Edited by bague25 (log)

I'm +2 myself - both of them Monica's books. From what I've seen so far (only got them yesterday), they deserve every bit of praise they've received and then some. These and bague25's books brings the total so far to trrrrrrraaaarrrraaannnn.......

901! :cool:

Imagine having all those cookbooks in one place!

Suman

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like such a rank amateur with my paltry collection of Indian cookbooks. I think I have 6 or 7, including Monica's Everything Indian, one Madhur Jaffrey, Curries and Bugles, and one called Mughal Microwave.

I have about 300 cookbooks in all, a goodly amount of which feature chocolate :)

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

912! Kathy, I wouldn't call myself a chocoholic (although I go through these phases in life when I don't feel secure without a box of ferrero rocher(sp?) in the house) and yet I find that of all the cookbooks I own, the chocolate ones are the most seductive. You can't open one without instantly wanting to make or at the very least eat something chocolatey. Mmmmm chocolate - what's not to like?

Suman

Edited by rajsuman (log)

Mmmmm chocolate - what's not to like?

Believe it or not, there are people out there who don't like chocolate! Strange but true! Not in my household though...both DH and I adore it.

Any way to get chocolate in an Indian dish? I was thinking maybe something akin to a molé dish. Not authentic, of course...but trying to keep to the thread here ;)

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

I'll add my two! The Everything Indian Cookbook by Monica Bhide, have you heard of her? :biggrin: And I couldn't help it, I got another book, From Curries to Kebabs by Madhur Jaffrey. I don't know if I get to count that as an Indian cookbook because she also includes recipes from Asia and Africa etc. (from the spice trail). But she is Indian and there are many Indian recipes in the book so I think it should count! My next purchase will probably be Monica's other book...and I'm embarrassed but I can't think of the name of it right now. :unsure:

Edited by RSincere (log)
Rachel Sincere