• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Happy New Year ! 

It's already 2024 here in the east, and for various reasons, I've just eaten dinner at midnight. Actually, I bought it in 2023 but my phone kept ringing with calls from my family then I had to nuke it to warm it up again.

gbjd.jpg.7c4b0e73538547bac9c99d289a2a3a06.jpg

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng) - Gongbao Chicken Cubes - (Kung-po Chicken in America)

yzcf.thumb.jpg.ff8f76ac7373b8257172baa1cf01523f.jpg

扬州炒饭 (yáng zhōu chǎo fàn) Yangzhou Fried Rice

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

First dinner of the year was about 2:00 am this morning.  The plan had been to open a tin of Pinhais sardines and a jar of Matiz piparra peppers (I have a new electric jar opener).  Sadly I did not have the energy, so dinner was cheese with water biscuits, and a forty year old port.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Supermarket had some large globe artichokes on sale 3/$5 so I grabbed some, with full knowledge that they aren’t in season and would not be great, but they were pretty tight and heavy. Decided to roast them, covered, since I assumed they needed some extra flavor. The hearts were great, the stems too stringy to eat, but its a lot of time to prep for the ROI! We had thin cut chicken breasts cooked in a grill pan, and slices of white-flesh sweet potato roasted in the oven, also.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 12/31/2023 at 8:00 AM, liuzhou said:

Happy New Year ! 

It's already 2024 here in the east, and for various reasons, I've just eaten dinner at midnight. Actually, I bought it in 2023 but my phone kept ringing with calls from my family then I had to nuke it to warm it up again.

gbjd.jpg.7c4b0e73538547bac9c99d289a2a3a06.jpg

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng) - Gongbao Chicken Cubes - (Kung-po Chicken in America)

yzcf.thumb.jpg.ff8f76ac7373b8257172baa1cf01523f.jpg

扬州炒饭 (yáng zhōu chǎo fàn) Yangzhou Fried Rice

Happy New Year to you. Your dinner looks like something that would go down well after all the richness that our Christmas seems to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@liuzhou, as much as I enjoy the meals that you order in, I am hoping that 2024 is a better year for you health wise.

First dinner of 2024!!!
ChateaubriandforTwoJanuary1st2024.thumb.jpg.7cac4d763ac1dede3a8ba871ed293c3e.jpg
Chateaubriand for Two.

ChateaubriandforTwoJanuary1st20241.thumb.jpg.004bb41d60f853b69c3b0b08f959bb39.jpg
With Parisienne potatoes, steamed green beans, cauliflower and carrots for Moe, sautéed mushrooms and homemade Bearnaise sauce.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

青椒肉丝 (qīng jiāo ròu sī), Pork with green chilli peppers. It also has red peppers, garlic, Shaoxing and soy sauce.The green chillies are here served as a vegetable rather than a spice. Over rice. From Fujian province.

qjrp.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm off the holiday eating treadmill and back to cooking for myself.

Found a one rib steak/roast in the freezer and broiled it with Montreal Steak Spice. Enough for dinner and three sandwich meals.

Served with roasted tomatoes and freezer vegetables (NY resolution to make a serious dent in the freezer contents).

Happy New Year everyone.

NYDay2024RibSteak.thumb.JPG.12f820f234e8f32ed2208746fa6695e5.JPGNYDay2024Dinner.thumb.JPG.4c6f72b94270101faa7584af4118d74f.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

IMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.a5abd1befb280f4f2e1fc37f6c70b446.jpeg

Reheated and picked off the bone duck (almost) confit.  Vegetable samosas from Trader Joe's (still my favorite product from TJ's). Roasted carrots, potatoes and cabbage leaves. Sonoma Pinot Noir from our favorite winery to drink.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

I hope it's a really great year for all of us.

I should have thought ahead better.  We have a nice bone-in ham that I should have thawed out but by the time I thought of it yesterday it was too late.  So, I thawed out a small half of a "football" ham.  It was good enough and I hope that I hit many of the lucky foods lol.

Made a not very authentic Hoppin' John--my homemade rotel tomatoes, garlic, carrots, celery, onions, bacon, a bit of chicken broth and black eyed peas

thumbnail_IMG_5627.jpg.96f79259f06696efb8e238b3d2283615.jpg

Brussels sprouts to hit the leafy green luck bit, Hoppin' John and ham steaks with mustard sauce

thumbnail_IMG_5628.jpg.9bda6796e3f2d9ec3a68933b36d7e9d6.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Happy 2024!

Started the new year with something a tad lighter and tangy.  Lots of rice needed for this dish!

Beef & tomato with egg:

BeefTomato3226.jpg.afd15f4da776a5f322ca21a5889a4a86.jpg

Dessert was a scoop of Chapman's Vanilla ice-cream with some of my Apricot Peach Pineapple Conserve from the summer.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

In don't usually post take out meals but I was discussing this with @liuzhou over here which got me in the mood for some....

PXL_20240102_235812562.thumb.jpg.81e160d29b1dbc0e9dcdc84bddb904bc.jpg

Supposed Hunan bamboo shoots with pork underneath are rice noodles and it came with a side of broth to add to make soup noodles. Also hiding are more green and red chillies. It was quite spicy tonight, my nose was running for a good 20 minutes after. I'm sure something else will be running tomorrow morning... 🤣

ETA I ordered this "medium" which is 2 out of 4

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

In don't usually post take out meals but I was discussing this with @liuzhou over here which got me in the mood for some....

PXL_20240102_235812562.thumb.jpg.81e160d29b1dbc0e9dcdc84bddb904bc.jpg

Supposed Hunan bamboo shoots with pork underneath are rice noodles and it came with a side of broth to add to make soup noodles. Also hiding are more green and red chillies. It was quite spicy tonight, my nose was running for a good 20 minutes after. I'm sure something else will be running tomorrow morning... 🤣

ETA I ordered this "medium" which is 2 out of 4

Post more take out!  Us rural Kansas people love seeing what you eat no matter what. 

I'll try my best not to be envious :) 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

青椒肉丝 (qīng jiāo ròu sī), Pork with green chilli peppers. It also has red peppers, garlic, Shaoxing and soy sauce.The green chillies are here served as a vegetable rather than a spice. Over rice. From Fujian province.

qjrp.jpg

Are the green chilli peppers hot?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had been having a craving for ham since before Christmas but hadn't bought one because of the salt content.
But we cheated yesterday and I baked a ham.
Ham is definitely not low sodium, but we factored it into his daily intake.
HamDinnerJanuary2nd2024.thumb.jpg.a0b6fa6fe100fcf96ee17d1adf856378.jpg

The sides were all low sodium.
Potatoes au Gratin, roasted butternut squash with brown sugar and rosemary. And steamed green beans.
I divided the ham up and froze most of it, including the bone.
Which is destined for a pot of bean soup at some point in the future.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

50 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_1266.thumb.jpeg.3f3c095d56c913728cf1bd3f76b5d304.jpeg

Barely cooked Hokkaido scallops over pasta; sauce for pasta consisting of butter, olive oil, garlic, white wine, shrimp/scallop stock.  Bitter greens salad.  

Where did you get the scallops?

Using up leftover Xmas turkey from the freezer = pot pie
A friend gave us a jar of his Sweet & Sour Beets. They were so tiny and delicious!

Had a bit of pastry left over as well, and got 2 little 3" mincemeat pies, eaten with ice cream for dessert.
Is Christmas over yet? 😆

TurkeyPotPie3231.jpg.432cecf5145d5e794d3e7c007f3ef3e0.jpg                    

MincePie3235.jpg.57b3c7c147fee3b6a80d6f467a214bca.jpg

We had ham on Boxing Day at our son's. Seeing Ann_T's ham post, I now want ham!

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Ann_T

Wonderful meals , over and over .

Id like to suggest an option for you to consider 

re : commercial NaCl levels.

Ive been thinking about this problem for several years.

it might not be around the corner for me , but that corner exists for many of us in the future,

Ive taken slices of high sodium items  ( corned beef , Ive SV'd  , bacon , and even deli ham , etc )

and soaked the slices in ice water .  why ice ?  to keep the fat firm.

there is no time line , but it doesn't take that long , as its a surface area thing , for a noticeable 

amount of NaCl to move into the ice water.  I pat dry and then use.

I got the idea ages ago , after trying som pre-sliced Danish Ham from TJ's  

it was very Hammy , much more so than USA ' in front of mr ' options.

Ive been to Denmark , I was 10 years old at the time \

and there were two transformation things I learned :

1 ) the Smorgasbord  2 )  all the free range pigs running around , happy go lucky .

I then realized the danish ham I had , simply had less NaCL than the Happy go Lucky 

american pigs.

commercial ham ( sandwiches etc ) actually taste better , more hammy , w less NaCl in th3e way of flavor.

high quality bacon ( Benton's , etc ) still has fantastic smoke and country flavor.

consider trying that,  

NaCl moves into the cold water based on the items surface area .  

longer in the ice bath will remove more NaCl .  bt it doesn't take long to get a noticeable ( by taste )

amount out . pat dry and ready to cook , or use in a sandwich.

for me , I was surprised that after doing this , not really for very long

everything Ive done it with , has more ' piggy taste '  , for big products .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@rotuts, thank you.  I actually did soak the ham in a big container of cold water.   It probably could have been soaked longer, but it was in for just under an hour.

The ham actually didn't taste overly salty, which they often do,  but according to the label 100g of ham had 780g of sodium.  I weighed out exactly 100g for Moe's serving last night.

This morning he asked for ham on toast, and I sliced it very thin, and he had two slices of toast with 25g of ham on each slice.  

He was happy and didn't feel like he was getting short changed.

I don't buy a ham very often so it was a nice treat.

• Like 6