• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bake a cake (or whatever) for Gully!

Dave the Cook

I'll try to be brief.

eGullet is 20 years old this month (it went on line 4 August 2001, to be exact). That's nearly forever in internet time; my favorite cast-iron skillet is younger. To celebrate, we're asking everyone to bake a cake for Gully. Well, it doesn't have to be a cake. It could be a cupcake, or a pie, or a loaf of bread. Or a stuffed pepper -- even a stuffed cabbage roll. Stick a candle in it, photograph it, and post it here. Like so:

shrimp candle.png

And while you're waiting for your cake/pie/loaf/pepper/roll to be done, please consider all that eG has meant to you. We've never run an ad (though for a few quarters, we had sponsorships). Since becoming a not-for-profit entity in 2004, we've remained mostly shill-, troll- and (especially difficult these days) politics-free. And for the last eighteen months, while most of us have been mostly stuck inside, we've provided entertainment, education and connection. All of that is, or should be, worth something to you.

<shameless shill> Aaaannnnddd . . . here it comes.

Of course we're asking for money. Thanks to the generosity of our Society donors (those members whose names show up in bright blue) and the free labor of our volunteer hosts and managers (the purple people), we've made it 20 years, and we hope to make it another 20. But we can't operate free of advertisements and free of cash both. A buck a year -- that's all we ask, though in fact we'll be grateful for any monetary support whatsoever.  (In the US, it's tax deductible!)

If you'd like to help with a donation, click here for a "20th Anniversary 20 Bucks" donation, or click here for another amount. </shameless shill>

Then come back and post a pic of your birthday victuals, or at least wish Gully a happy birthday!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It seems that it's my 20th eG birthday also, since I joined on 4 August, 2001!   I will create something candle worthy and would like to contribute but none of the suggested donations are what I have in mind.   Is there a custom "I would like to contribute X amount" feature that I'm missing?    In all events, a huge HB eG and thanks for 20 years!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

If you have a specific amount you want to donate that is not a multiple of $10 or $20 USD, you can always simply use PayPal to send whatever amount you'd like to "giving@egullet.org". If you prefer to mail a check, money order, case of gold bricks, etc., it can be sent to our P.O. Box at:

eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

P.O. Box 1705

Norman, OK 73070

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I joined in November 2002 but I had been  lurking  for sometime. As I recall my first screen name was Nolongerlurking. When I joined the staff I was required to reveal my legal name. 
Looking back at my first posts makes me feel like a PhD looking back at kindergarten notebooks!
it has been quite a journey. 
Happy birthday Gully! 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A somewhat unglamorous cake, but a tasty one. It's the Late Summer Berry Torte recipe from King Arthur that @Kerry Beal makes now and then. I had some plums to use up, so I put them in and skipped the berries. And the only candles I could find were these huge ones, so opted not to put one in the cake itself. 😃

PXL_20210808_231131707.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.23f4f1b9f2dc12ac37749a5c7bbc823f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

A somewhat unglamorous cake, but a tasty one. It's the Late Summer Berry Torte recipe from King Arthur that @Kerry Beal makes now and then.

I think King Arthur should have acknowledged the originator of this dessert:  Marian Burros. That said this house is suffering from a paucity of candles!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I think King Arthur should have acknowledged the originator of this dessert:  Marian Burros. That said this house is suffering from a paucity of candles!

Oh, I thought it was similar to the one on NY times (that did credit Marian Burros), but didn't realize the one was basically the same as the other.   🙂

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I think King Arthur should have acknowledged the originator of this dessert:  Marian Burros.

Retain a solicitor and file a tort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made a batch of Flaming Orange Gully pops as my contribution to the celebration 

IMG_3215.thumb.gif.3e86028e225925e07470945f647357b0.gif

The Flaming Orange Gully cocktail was created by Dale DeGroff after being challenged by@Varmint during an eG Q&A session back in 2002.  You can find the recipe here and read some discussion about it over here

The cocktail recipe uses orange vodka as the base spirit.  There's no reason to put vodka in pops as it just makes them melty and doesn't add any flavor beyond a bit of citrus in this case so I omitted it but used the recipe proportions of orange juice, lime juice, Velvet Falernum and Angostora bitters and grated the nutmeg garnish over the pops after unmolding them. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add info & links (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh wow! Such a beautiful and imaginative way to mark the 20th anniversary of Gully. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

IMG_3215.thumb.gif.3e86028e225925e07470945f647357b0.gif

The Flaming Orange Gully cocktail was created by Dale DeGroff after being challenged by@Varmint during an eG Q&A session back in 2002.  You can find the recipe here and read some discussion about it over here

The cocktail recipe uses orange vodka as the base spirit.  There's no reason to put vodka in pops as it just makes them melty and doesn't add any flavor beyond a bit of citrus in this case so I omitted it but used the recipe proportions of orange juice, lime juice, Velvet Falernum and Angostora bitters and grated the nutmeg garnish over the pops after unmolding them. 

This is really cool... but I do worry about eating an icepop covered in metal dust!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

This is really cool... but I do worry about eating an icepop covered in metal dust!

Better metal dust than respiratory particles on the birthday cake. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Better metal dust than respiratory particles on the birthday cake. :laugh:

Amen, Sister!    We recently had a "family discussion" over the annual candle blow outs.    One postponed til next year, another happy with candle positioned on a soda can.   i wonder if, like hand shakes and ubiquitous hugs, candle blow outs are something to put aside for an indefinite period of time.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.