• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

Just got an email, since I use my "shoppers club" card when grocery shopping, that a package of Dole spinach I purchased is part of a mass recall for possible Listeria. Since my husband and I ate said spinach 3 or 4 days ago, I'm guessing it wasn't contaminated or I'd be sick by now. Has anyone had a problem with illness from a grocery item? Do you take a recalled item back to the store or just bin it?

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm afraid that I'm going to be the bearer of possible bad news.  From an Ontario Food Handler Training and Certification Course:  the incubation period for Listeriosis is from 3 - 70 days with 3 weeks being the average.  Not good news.  Sorry.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I agree with what Darienne said unfortunately. That information was recently published across Canada because some of the Dole and related products that 'may be' contaminated were also sold up here. You may to hold your breath a bit longer but since I am sure that not ALL the product was contaminated, you (one hopes) will be fine.

However, to answer your second question - about whether one returns or just discards a food product that is recalled, I think that depends on the recall information. What the news indicated in Canada was that the salads/greens in question this time should just be thrown away.

My opinion is that when distributors, etc. tell you to just throw away something it is NOT a 'recall' - because you get absolutely no benefit (except possibly not getting sick from a product they should have ensured was safe in the first place!) ... no money back, no replacement .. and they get away with shoddy handling/testing at relatively low cost to them. But, hey, that is just my humble opinion.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

Here are some useful Q & A's from nj.com, entitled "So you ate a bag of Dole salad - Now what?"

A: For the most part, people who have an intact immune system are not going to have a serious infection. The people who are more at risk are people who have HIV, or are getting chemotherapy, or a pregnant, or are considered elderly, or are babies.  

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If I were going to cook the spinach in question, I don't think I'd have a problem keeping and eating it, since listeria is killed in the cooking process. But if it were some other green, one better served raw, I'd return or toss it. Which I do would depend on how easy a return is for me to manage.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On the topic of Food Recalls, Trader Joe's has recalled their Trader Joe's Raw Cashew Pieces.

The recall doesn't extend to California but there's quite of list of states impacted by the recall.

As an FYI...this article (click) has a phone number for Trader Joe's if anyone has questions about the recall.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am rather pragmatic regarding returning things. If I have to make a specific trip and I only paid say $1.70USD for the item then chucking it makes more economic sense (gas + wear and tear). If the item was more costly then I would return it. The last thing I remember returning (actully just the label) was a chicken that was unfit for cooking due to some form of mis-handling. It smelled like it was 2 weeks old when I opened the package.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/27/2016 at 8:57 AM, MelissaH said:

If I were going to cook the spinach in question, I don't think I'd have a problem keeping and eating it, since listeria is killed in the cooking process. But if it were some other green, one better served raw, I'd return or toss it. Which I do would depend on how easy a return is for me to manage.

The spinach was cooked, not eaten raw. So I'm keeping fingers crossed that combined with a healthy immune system, I'm probably OK.

The recall notice came out probably a week+ after it was purchased, my first thought when these are announced for salad greens/raw products is "how many people still have it sitting in the fridge"?

And for the $2. I paid for the bag, I think I would have tossed it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Flour possibly contaminated with E. coli recalled nationwide"

Smucker Foods of Canada announced a recall Wednesday of four flour brands sold across the United States on the possibility of E. coli contamination....

Maya Durum Wheat Atta Flour
Swad Durum Atta Flour Chappati Flour
Golden Temple #1 Fine Durum Atta Flour Blend
Golden Temple Durum Atta Flour Blend

The article lists specific code #'s from the packaging.
There is also a phone number at the end of the article for consumers with questions about the flour recall.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Trader Joe's has issued a multi-state recall on their "Grainless Granola" (click for more info).

I posted this in the Trader Joe's discussion, as well.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Well, once again, the day after I eat something I read about a recall. Some frozen yellowfin tuna shipped in from the Pacific may be contaminated with hepatitis A. Nobody has gotten sick, yet. They recommend getting a vaccine shot to be safe if you have eaten raw tuna recently. 

Sorry I am on my iPad and don't have a link to post, if you do a search you will find the info. Shipments to 3 states most likely, I know California was one. Shipments to NY didn't go into distribution. Please check it out if you have eaten raw yellowfin tuna recently. I intend to verify if I got Hep A vaccine when I had my physical last year, since I did get some boosters and such. Peace of mind even though NJ wasn't on the list.

okay, I found this:

https://www.fda.gov/food/recallsoutbreaksemergencies/outbreaks/ucm561199.htm#Recalled

seems like it's primarily CA focused, and about frozen "cubes" or "steaks"... products that some restaurants might indeed use, and might cook to 'rare', but not likely to be found in sashimi

another reason I buy fish from my well KNOWN TO ME fish markets, only.

never from supermarkets or 'bulk' stores.

There's a 'TX OK' tab on that page, too.  A week or so ago when I first heard of this there was a Sysco distributor in the Houston area on the list but now all I see are two restaurants in the metro Houston area.  I had an Aji Tuna Burger, seared, at Hopdoddy in Houston last month.  Looks like I don't have anything to worry about for now but I'll have a test next time I visit the doc.

• 1 month later...

"Bush's Baked Beans recalled because of defective cans"

Certain cans of Bush’s Best Baked Beans — Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Country Style Baked Beans and Original Baked Beans — are being recalled because of a potential problem with a seam on the cans...

All the affected products are 28-ounce cans with a best-by date of June 2019.
The affected Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans have a container lot code of 6097S GF or 6097P GF.
The affected Country Style Baked Beans have a container lot code of 6077S RR, 6087S RR, 6077P RR or 6087P RR.
The affected Original Baked Beans have a container lot code of 6057S LC or 6057P LC.

For more information, contact Bush Brothers and Co.’s consumer relations line at (800) 590-3797 between 5 a.m. and 2 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. The recall announcement can be seen at bushbeans.com.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Trader Joe's issues recall for 3,400 pounds of breakfast sausage"

Trader Joe’s has issued a recall for more than 3,400 pounds of chicken breakfast sausage that is sold in 13 states over an undeclared soy ingredient. The product was produced and packaged Aug. 10-24, and contains soy lecithin, which is not included on the label.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Safeway, Trader Joe's among brands listed in massive vegetable recall"

Vegetable items from Walmart, Safeway/Albertson's, Target and Trader Joe's are now included in the exhaustive recall notice from Mann Packing in Salinas. More than 20 brands have been pulled in the United States and Canada after a sampling of one of the wholesaler's products tested positive for listeria.

This recall is for the US and for Canada.

Stores/Brands impacted:

Walmart - Trader Joe's - Aldi - Safeway & Albertson's - H-E-B stores - Archer Farms (Target) - Cross Valley Farms - Sysco

Here (click) is the link to the FDA web site regarding the recall and the specific products impacted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Safeway, Trader Joe's among brands listed in massive vegetable recall"

This recall is for the US and for Canada.

Stores/Brands impacted:

Walmart - Trader Joe's - Aldi - Safeway & Albertson's - H-E-B stores - Archer Farms (Target) - Cross Valley Farms - Sysco

Here (click) is the link to the FDA web site regarding the recall and the specific products impacted.

Whew! I saw this today as well, Toliver, and went to the FDA link to see if my bag of spinach under the Harris Teeter Farmers Market brand was affected. I saw nothing about Harris Teeter or spinach on an eyeball and then a search for Harris Teeter, HT, and spinach. So I'm OK. But if you live in Canada or the US, you really might want to check this out. It is a very long list. Broccoli slaw would be my first worry, but far from the only one.

We had a teen die of lysteria at Camp Seafarer for girls when I worked for the Capital Area YMCA in an administrative capacity,  now called the YMCA of the Triangle. She must have had a compromised immune system because absolutely no one else out of over 3,000 people even got sick. But lysteria is no joke. It kills people. I sure would have hated to be out on the PR front that fell to one our VP's.

If you are interested, and want to see the huge risks we managed at these incredible camps, click this link and scroll down to "Camp Video" on vimeo. Not only food service for thousands, but power boating and sailing for kids at the helm, kids horseback riding, kids going on zip lines, kids shooting guns and an archery range! It is mostly a rich kids camp, but we did sponsor some underprivileged kids in on scholarships. It must have been a complete whack of an experience compared to what they were used to. They do a lot of good, and for the riskiness of what they do, and the thrill for kids, almost non-existent harm.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 4 weeks later...

"Greek-style dip recall now includes two Trader Joe's products (photos, product numbers)"

Two Mediterranean dips from Trader Joe's - Tahini Sauce and Cilantro and Chive Yogurt Dip - have been added to the widespread recall of Yorgo's products manufactured in New Hampshire.

There's a list of the non-Trader Joe's items impacted by the recall at the bottom of the article.

Tim Oliver

Another Trader Joe's recall (cross-posted on the Trader Joe's discussion):

"Trader Joe's salads recalled over possible glass fragments"

Nov. 20 (UPI) -- A supplier for food retailer Trader Joe's has recalled nearly 37,000 pounds of chicken and turkey salad products that may be contaminated with silica and glass fragments, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.

The USDA said the recall involves ready-to-eat chicken and turkey salads produced between Nov. 4 and Wednesday by Green Cuisine.

Specific items being recalled can be found in the last few paragraphs. There is contact info at the end of the article should anyone have questions about the recall/items.

Tim Oliver

"Hummus recalled over possible bacterial contamination"

The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said in a statement that Asmar’s Mediterranean Food, Inc. of Alexandria is recalling one lot of Asmar’s Original Hommus because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.

The hummus was sold in 16-ounces packages with the lot code TV11/2617. It was distributed to retail stores in northern Virginia as well as Whole Foods stores in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

If you can't access the article due to a paywall, I've quoted the pertinent parts.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Biscuit recall hits Food Lion, other grocery stores in 12 states over listeria fears"

A recall of frozen biscuit products due to possible listeria contamination has prompted several supermarket chains to pull the products from shelves and urge consumers to return the products for refunds.

The stores – including Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Lowes Foods and more -- took action after the manufacturer of the frozen biscuit dough products, T. Marzetti Co., announced a voluntary recall as a precautionary measure.

There is a list at the bottom of the article of biscuit products being recalled.

"Aldi, Kroger recall apples due to possible Listeria contamination"

Two supermarket chains have launched recalls of some of the more popular varieties due to Listeria contamination fears in some states.

The Aldi chain said its recall covers Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious and Honeycrisp apples sold starting Dec. 13 in its stores in Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, South Carolina and North Carolina and through the grocery delivery service Instacart in the Atlanta area.

Kroger, the big Cincinnati-based chain, said it is recalled lunchbox-size Fuji and Galas sold between Dec. 12 and Tuesday. Besides individual pieces of fruit, it includes Michigan-grown apples sold in 5-pound bags and sold in Kroger stores in various cities in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Ohio, Virginia, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia.

Tim Oliver

There hasn't been an official government recall but consumers are being warned:

"Avoid Romaine Lettuce For Now, Consumer Reports Says"

Over the past seven weeks, 58 people in the U.S. and Canada have become ill from a dangerous strain of E. coli bacteria, likely from eating romaine lettuce. In the U.S., the infections have occurred in 13 states (California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington state). Five people in the U.S. have been hospitalized and one has died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There has also been one death in Canada.

Canadian health authorities identified romaine lettuce as the source of the outbreak in Canada, and are advising people in the country’s eastern provinces to consider eating other types of salad greens until further notice. In the U.S., government health officials are investigating the outbreaks, but have stopped short of recommending people avoid romaine lettuce or any other food. 

Tim Oliver