• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

BeeZee

Food recalls

15 posts in this topic

Just got an email, since I use my "shoppers club" card when grocery shopping, that a package of Dole spinach I purchased is part of a mass recall for possible Listeria. Since my husband and I ate said spinach 3 or 4 days ago, I'm guessing it wasn't contaminated or I'd be sick by now. Has anyone had a problem with illness from a grocery item? Do you take a recalled item back to the store or just bin it?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm afraid that I'm going to be the bearer of possible bad news.  From an Ontario Food Handler Training and Certification Course:  the incubation period for Listeriosis is from 3 - 70 days with 3 weeks being the average.  Not good news.  Sorry.

Edited by Darienne (log)
2 people like this

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

I agree with what Darienne said unfortunately. That information was recently published across Canada because some of the Dole and related products that 'may be' contaminated were also sold up here. You may to hold your breath a bit longer but since I am sure that not ALL the product was contaminated, you (one hopes) will be fine.

However, to answer your second question - about whether one returns or just discards a food product that is recalled, I think that depends on the recall information. What the news indicated in Canada was that the salads/greens in question this time should just be thrown away.

My opinion is that when distributors, etc. tell you to just throw away something it is NOT a 'recall' - because you get absolutely no benefit (except possibly not getting sick from a product they should have ensured was safe in the first place!) ... no money back, no replacement .. and they get away with shoddy handling/testing at relatively low cost to them. But, hey, that is just my humble opinion.

Edited by Deryn (log)
3 people like this

Here are some useful Q & A's from nj.com, entitled "So you ate a bag of Dole salad - Now what?"

A: For the most part, people who have an intact immune system are not going to have a serious infection. The people who are more at risk are people who have HIV, or are getting chemotherapy, or a pregnant, or are considered elderly, or are babies.  

2 people like this

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

The mosque is too far from home, so let's do this / Let's make a weeping child laugh. -Nida Fazli, poet (translated, from the Urdu, by Anu Garg, wordsmith.org)

The greatest enemy of knowledge is the illusion of knowledge. -(origin unclear)

If I were going to cook the spinach in question, I don't think I'd have a problem keeping and eating it, since listeria is killed in the cooking process. But if it were some other green, one better served raw, I'd return or toss it. Which I do would depend on how easy a return is for me to manage.

1 person likes this

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On the topic of Food Recalls, Trader Joe's has recalled their Trader Joe's Raw Cashew Pieces.

The recall doesn't extend to California but there's quite of list of states impacted by the recall.

As an FYI...this article (click) has a phone number for Trader Joe's if anyone has questions about the recall.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

I am rather pragmatic regarding returning things. If I have to make a specific trip and I only paid say $1.70USD for the item then chucking it makes more economic sense (gas + wear and tear). If the item was more costly then I would return it. The last thing I remember returning (actully just the label) was a chicken that was unfit for cooking due to some form of mis-handling. It smelled like it was 2 weeks old when I opened the package.

1 person likes this

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/27/2016 at 8:57 AM, MelissaH said:

If I were going to cook the spinach in question, I don't think I'd have a problem keeping and eating it, since listeria is killed in the cooking process. But if it were some other green, one better served raw, I'd return or toss it. Which I do would depend on how easy a return is for me to manage.

The spinach was cooked, not eaten raw. So I'm keeping fingers crossed that combined with a healthy immune system, I'm probably OK.

The recall notice came out probably a week+ after it was purchased, my first thought when these are announced for salad greens/raw products is "how many people still have it sitting in the fridge"?

And for the $2. I paid for the bag, I think I would have tossed it.

"Flour possibly contaminated with E. coli recalled nationwide"

Smucker Foods of Canada announced a recall Wednesday of four flour brands sold across the United States on the possibility of E. coli contamination....

Maya Durum Wheat Atta Flour
Swad Durum Atta Flour Chappati Flour
Golden Temple #1 Fine Durum Atta Flour Blend
Golden Temple Durum Atta Flour Blend

The article lists specific code #'s from the packaging.
There is also a phone number at the end of the article for consumers with questions about the flour recall.

2 people like this

Trader Joe's has issued a multi-state recall on their "Grainless Granola" (click for more info).

I posted this in the Trader Joe's discussion, as well.

1 person likes this

Well, once again, the day after I eat something I read about a recall. Some frozen yellowfin tuna shipped in from the Pacific may be contaminated with hepatitis A. Nobody has gotten sick, yet. They recommend getting a vaccine shot to be safe if you have eaten raw tuna recently. 

Sorry I am on my iPad and don't have a link to post, if you do a search you will find the info. Shipments to 3 states most likely, I know California was one. Shipments to NY didn't go into distribution. Please check it out if you have eaten raw yellowfin tuna recently. I intend to verify if I got Hep A vaccine when I had my physical last year, since I did get some boosters and such. Peace of mind even though NJ wasn't on the list.

what states WERE affected?

okay, I found this:

https://www.fda.gov/food/recallsoutbreaksemergencies/outbreaks/ucm561199.htm#Recalled

seems like it's primarily CA focused, and about frozen "cubes" or "steaks"... products that some restaurants might indeed use, and might cook to 'rare', but not likely to be found in sashimi

another reason I buy fish from my well KNOWN TO ME fish markets, only.

never from supermarkets or 'bulk' stores.

There's a 'TX OK' tab on that page, too.  A week or so ago when I first heard of this there was a Sysco distributor in the Houston area on the list but now all I see are two restaurants in the metro Houston area.  I had an Aji Tuna Burger, seared, at Hopdoddy in Houston last month.  Looks like I don't have anything to worry about for now but I'll have a test next time I visit the doc.