• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

Another Romaine lettuce recall:

"Romaine lettuce E. coli warning expanded"

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded its warning about an E. coli outbreak connected to romaine lettuce to cover all forms of romaine, including whole heads and hearts of romaine grown in the Yuma, Arizona, growing area. A previous warning was limited to chopped forms of romaine, including salads and salad mixes.

The CDC based the new warning on eight new cases of acute gastroenteritis at a correctional facility in Nome, Alaska, that appear to be connected to the current outbreak affecting 53 people in 16 states. Thirty-one of those have been hospitalized, the CDC said, and although no one has died, five people have developed a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"CDC: 'Throw away' pre-cut melons after salmonella outbreak"

The CDC has issued a warning after a group of pre-cut melon products may have led to the hospitalization of over 30 people for salmonella infections...

The recalled products were distributed to stores in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio. They were sold in clear plastic containers at stores including Costco, Jay C, Kroger, Payless, Owen’s, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Walgreens, Walmart, and Whole Foods.

Tim Oliver

Two new recalls from this morning's news:

"More than 228,000 pounds of Spam recalled"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is recalling more than 228,000 pounds of Spam and another product made by Minnesota-based Hormel after four consumers complained about metal objects in the food...

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service says the canned chicken and pork in question was produced in February at the company's plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The agency says "minor oral injuries" have been reported...

The recall covers 12-ounce metal cans containing "SPAM Classic" with a "Best By" date of February 2021 date. Those products were shipped throughout the U.S.

The product codes of the recalled Spam are listed in the article.

"Tyson recalls frozen chicken tenders due to risk of plastic contamination"

Tyson Foods Inc. has issued a recall for 3,120 pounds of frozen chicken tenders in the United States due to the risk there might be blue and clear soft plastic pieces inside the product. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspect Service reports in a news release that the problem was discovered by a supplier on Friday, June 8. The affected frozen, uncooked breaded chicken tenders were produced on May 17 of this year. 

The USDA reports the recall covers 3-pound plastic bags of Tyson "UNCOOKED, BREADED, ORIGINAL CHICKEN TENDERLOINS" with a lot code of 1378NLR02. The product was shipped in a 12-pound box that contains the 3-pound plastic bags of chicken. 

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

This recall is all over the news this morning:

"Kellogg's Recalls Honey Smacks Cereal After Outbreak"

Kellogg Company has issued a recall of its Honey Smacks cereal in the face of a salmonella outbreak that has infected 73 people across 31 states and put 24 in hospital. No-one has died from the outbreak at present...
The CDC warned Americans to dispose of any Honey Smacks cereal with a “best if used by” date between June 14, 2018 and June 14, 2019 to prevent the contraction of salmonella.

I remember them way back when they were originally called Sugar Smacks. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and sugar wasn't evil. ;) xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

I remember them way back when they were originally called Sugar Smacks. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and sugar wasn't evil. ;) xD

You mean way back when when there were no Honey Nut Cheerios and you had to sprinkle sugar on them yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not that I'm angling to become the Food Recall King, but here's another (small) one in the news:

"FDA: Illnesses linked to Del Monte vegetable trays"

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it is investigating 78 illnesses associated with recalled Del Monte vegetable trays sold in five Midwest states.

The FDA said Saturday trays, which contain broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip, were sold in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin at Kwik Trip/Kwik Star locations. Cases of cyclospora illnesses were linked to the trays.

The article lists Del Monte's phone number regarding the recall, as well as their email address for the recall.

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

47 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not that I'm angling to become the Food Recall King,

Oh, I don't know...I kinda think of you as at least the Food Recall Ambassador...

• Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 11:04 AM, Toliver said:

Now the CDC is officially (and bluntly) suggesting to not eat this cereal:

" 'Do Not Eat this Cereal.' CDC Says Kellogg's Honey Smacks Linked to Salmonella Outbreak"

The CDC announced Thursday that customers should avoid Honey Smacks, tweeting, “Do not eat this cereal.” The agency says it found salmonella in samples of Honey Smacks, which has been subject to a voluntary recall by Kellogg since mid-June.

Tim Oliver

And now McDonald's has problems with their salads in the mid-West:

"McDonald's salads linked to parasitic illness outbreak that has sickened more than 100 people"

Health officials say McDonald's salads may be the source of a parasitic illness outbreak that has sickened more than 100 people in Iowa and Illinois.

Illinois has reported 90 cases of the illness since mid-May, and Iowa has reported 15 cases since late June.

Illinois and Iowa are currently the only two states impacted by the parasitic illness. 

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Ritz Crackers has announced a recall of their Ritz-Bits-type filled sandwich crackers.

"Ritz Cracker products Recalled Over Salmonella Fears"

Confectionery giant Mondelez has recalled some products bearing its Ritz branding, fearing that the snacks may contain Salmonella.

The company, set up as a spin-off for Ritz and other marquee brands owned by Kraft Foods, such as Cadbury's chocolate and Oreo biscuits, announced the precautionary measure after one of Mondelez’s suppliers recalled a possibly tainted ingredient.

The company said it has not received any complaints or reports of its customers contracting Salmonella but decided to recall products voluntarily.

And here's a list of all of the recalled products:

"Mondelēz Global LLC Conducts Voluntary Recall"

It's a PDF file so you can download to your own computer if need be.

Tim Oliver

"Pepperidge Farm Issues A Recall Of Goldfish Crackers Due To Salmonella Fears"

Pepperidge Farm has issued a recall for four of their Goldfish crackers because of a concern that there may be a presence of Salmonella in the seasoning. No illnesses have been reported.

The company has released a complete list of products that are of concern, which include:
* Flavor Blasted Xtra Cheddar
* Flavor Blasted Sour Cream & Onion
* Goldfish Baked with Whole Grain Xtra Cheddar
* Goldfish Mix Xtra Cheddar + Pretzel

Click on "a complete list of products" in the article for a link to their web site listing the products being recalled.

Tim Oliver

I thought I would post this here instead of starting a new discussion.

"Feds: Backyard chickens sicken people in 44 states"

Live poultry in backyard flocks are linked to several multistate outbreaks of salmonella infections that have now sickened 212 people in 44 states, federal health officials warned Monday. 

The most recent illnesses began on June 21, with 88 of the cases reported in the last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, said in an advisory. The federal agency is working with multiple states in investigating several outbreaks of salmonella infections linked to contact with live poultry in backyard flocks, it said.

Tim Oliver

"Trader Joe’s and Other Chains Involved in Massive Food Recall"

Another day, another food-contamination case. This time, the unfortunate honor has fallen on Walgreens, Kroger, and Trader Joe’s, which have been forced to recall salads and wraps possibly contaminated with the cyclospora parasite.

Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issued a warning about consuming beef, pork, and poultry salad and wrap products at the three retailers, after tracing a parasite breakout to Caito Foods in Indianapolis.

Trader Joe’s officials say the affected products are their Trader Joe’s Tarragon Chicken Salad Wrap, Trader Giotto’s Caesar Salad With Chicken, and Trader Ming’s Chinese Inspired Salad With Chicken with “best by” dates between July 21 and July 23 and distributed in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

and a second article on the same recall:

"Parasite problems linked to packaged salads and wraps prompt recall"

Federal food safety inspectors are urging consumers to check their refrigerators for packaged salads and wraps that may be contaminated with cyclospora parasites.

The beef, pork and poultry salads and wraps were distributed by Caito Foods of Indianapolis and sold by Walgreens, Trader Joe’s and Kroger, owner of Ralphs supermarkets, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Such fun!  And we can always count on something new happening in the world of food recalls. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

is there something ironic about getting sick from prepared food that you purchase at what is primarily a pharmacy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Not food, but food-related:

"Vitamix is recalling 105,000 blenders; 11 people injured"

Vitamix is recalling about 105,000 of its blender containers after receiving reports that some customers had cut their hands with the exposed blades.

"Vitamix has received 11 reports of lacerations when consumers' hands came in contact with exposed blades,'' the company says on its website.

The Vitamix blender container can separate from their blender base exposing the blades and posing a risk of laceration, according to a consumer report.

Wait a second...you mean if I separate the blades from the canister, thus exposing the sharp blades, there's a chance I could actually lacerate myself if I'm an idiot and mis-handle said sharp blades? :shock:

Why...recall it at once, I say! What sadist designed this dangerous piece of equipment? ;) xD

• Haha 2

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

"Salmonella Leads to Egg Recall in Three States"

The eggs were distributed in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee between June 25 and September 6.

Alabama-based Gravel Ridge Farms recalled eggs sold in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee after a multi-state salmonella outbreak.

The eggs were stamped with the UPC code 7-06970-38444-6 and have "use by" dates of between July 25 and October 3.

Tim Oliver

"Sausage recall includes Bob Evans, Giant Eagle brands"

Bob Evans Farms is recalling more than 46,000 pounds of pork sausage link products that may be contaminated with pieces of clear plastic.

The raw pork sausage items were produced on August 1, 2018 with the establishment number “EST 6785”. The recalled items were sold in 12 states: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.

The article posts the specific products being recalled.

There's a link at the end of the article to take you to the USDA Recall page for this recall.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Here’s the recall list for over 130,000 pounds of Cargill ground beef potentially tainted with E. coli"

Cargill is recalling 132,606 pounds, or about 66.3 tons, of ground beef products for potential E. coli contamination.

The recalled beef products were made from the chuck portion of the carcass, and were packaged on June 21, 2018, with use-by/freeze-by dates in July.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) was notified on Aug. 16 of an investigation into E. coli 026 illnesses, which included one death and 17 sick cases, with onset dates ranging from July 5 to July 25.

See the article for specific products subject to recalls.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

@Toliver,

Thanks for the link on the Cargill beef recall. My local news website ran the story, but did not specify that it was beef in chub packaging that was affected. They helpfully added that it had been shipped worldwide. 9_9

I don't buy ground beef in chubs or in that carbon monoxide treated packing with expiration dates that are too far out to be credible, so I am more confident that I am safe with my frozen ground chuck that was freshly ground at my local Food Lion that day and then frozen by me at home.

I cannot resist saying here that I think it is a really, really bad idea to grind the carcasses of many animals you can't trace back to their origins and sell them. It seems to me to be one of the places where economies of scale are just not worth it. This seems to be the scenario for all of the deadly e-coli beef recalls, or the ones I'm aware of, anyway.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I cannot resist saying here that I think it is a really, really bad idea to grind the carcasses of many animals you can't trace back to their origins and sell them. It seems to me to be one of the places where economies of scale are just not worth it. This seems to be the scenario for all of the deadly e-coli beef recalls, or the ones I'm aware of, anyway.

Tracing the origins isn't the problem, it's cross contamination and lot size.  You start a shift, and grind beef.  At the end of the shift, the machine is sanitized.  If you grind a piece of meat that's contaminated with e. coli, everything that goes through the grinder afterwards is  possibly contaminated. 

But you don't know what was before and what's after, so the whole lot is condemned.  A big industrial meat processor has huge lots, your local super market does not. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 10:31 AM, Toliver said:

I found a subsequent article mentioning the stores where the recalled Cargill beef were sold at:

"Target, Sam's Club among stores affected by 132,000 pound ground beef recall"

While the recall affects Sam's Club, Safeway and Meijer stores nationwide, the contaminated products are believed to have only been sold at Target locations in California, Florida and Iowa, according to a statement by the USDA. 

"This list may not include all retail locations that have received the recalled product or may include retail locations that did not actually receive the recalled product," the USDA also warned.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Mauna Loa releases full list of mac nut products recalled over potential E. coli concerns"

A variety of Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Company products produced on the Big Island earlier this month have been voluntarily recalled due to potential E. coli contamination, according to the state Department of Health.

A Health Department spokesperson said Monday that items produced at the company's facility in Keaau between Sept. 6 and Sept. 21 may have come into contact with water from a well that was found to have been contaminated — and should not be consumed. 

There is a list of the contaminated Mauna Loa macadamia products at the bottom of the article (that can be enlarged).

My sister-in-law makes some holiday baked goods using the nuts and I figured I would post this in case anyone has bought or was thinking about buying the nuts ahead of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver