• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

The Awkward Yeti again: The Organs Have Their Say

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks Norm,

This guy is great!

I watched another one where he rags on Starbucks (easy prey, but he didn't even mention overpricing).

Then he gets into being asked for your zip code at department stores, and his stuff is hilarious. I always respond with "90210" passive/aggressively when I know I'll not get anything out it. I expected to be challenged the first time, but they always enter the stuff into their overlords' computer system dutifully, and the line moves on.

This is the link for anyone who cares to watch:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...

Silly and very funny cartoon in The New Yorker

• 2 weeks later...

For the cocktailians among us, from Bizarro comics by Dan Piraro:

Manhattan.jpg

http://bizarro.com/comics/july-3-2014/

• Like 7

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I love Cooking with Dog 

(has it been mentioned?) 

https://youtu.be/09grLIioD9g

"Enjoy Delicious Beef Offal! " with stuffed Francis

and real Francis is here in this one 

my granddaughter is learning to cook with these videos

they are funny and helpful 

https://youtu.be/_Mw19wVXtn4

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I love Cooking with Dog 

(has it been mentioned?) 

https://youtu.be/09grLIioD9g

"Enjoy Delicious Beef Offal! " with stuffed Francis

and real Francis is here in this one 

my granddaughter is learning to cook with these videos

they are funny and helpful 

https://youtu.be/_Mw19wVXtn4

"Cooking with Dog" is a great video series, yes. I enjoy them too - but had not seen the ones "featuring" a stuffed Francis! 

The offal shown in your linked video ALL LOOK DELICIOUS and very attractive. Reminds me I need to whip up a few dishes with tendon/tripe/liver/etc...

• Like 2

thank you HBK for that last ref.

i loved it.

Uve never thought of 'proofing' in a styrofoam 'cooler' with warm water in it !

in the winter my kitchen is cold

nice idea and those bun look like even I might be able to make them

thanks again !

BookMarked it !

• Like 1

Brisket risk, and some questions

Police say a woman was hit with a hot flying brisket when a contestant’s temper flared during a beef over a shared cooker at a central Kentucky barbecue festival....

Police said 42-year-old Mike Owings of Cunningham told officers he threw the brisket because he lost his temper but “didn’t mean for anyone to get hurt.”

Now, police say he faces a misdemeanor charge of wanton endangerment.

So if this were a Chinese food festival, and a similar event occurred, would the charge be wonton endangerment?

Would "Hot flying brisket" be a good name for a menu item?

• Like 4

I think stuffed Francis is pretty cool it takes the stress off real Francis I bet ..since it would cut into his naps to travel :) 

I love his little bed they put on the chair he fell off a few times poor guy just drifts off a lot 

I am telling you my "going on six now gramma" granddaughter has several good dishes now she can do herself because of this show and I have learned so much! 

I always crack up watching this so I thought it would be fine for the "funnies" but it is good in general huh?  I love how joyful the chef is with each and every thing she makes she makes me so happy watching her look so happy!

please do not blame me when you get Francis lock and can't stop watching these shows I had several "AH HA" moments over these shows 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

""    I fully expect to see a very special episode of Semi-Homemade where the Pope guest stars and together they make spicy communion wafers out of Styrofoam peanuts and Tabasco sauce and fruity sacramental wine out of Hpnotiq and red vegetable dye. ""

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that too. :smile:  Note that he "says" that it's delicious...before he squeezes that river of ketchup onto it at the END of the video after he has already sampled it.  :biggrin:

The 3-minute sketti? Heh, I doubt HBB's mama used De Cecco.

I also (smilingly) note that this really isn't THAT different from Marcella Hazan's famous tomato sauce in principle, although the onion during cooking (which is then removed) is missing, of course.  :smile:  But the ketchup has onion powder in it...  :wink:

(We really need a "devil" smiley. How about it, mods/managers?)

Mama Boo Boo making that sketti

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of insulting the people who submitted the following recipes to Tastespotting and other sites (or those of you here who might be positively disposed toward any of the following dishes), I'm very sorry, but so help me but I thought these were terribly funny. Not to mention just plain terrible.

Avocado banana bread

S’mores croissants

Lentil and walnut soft tacos

Shredded hoisin-blackberry chicken tacos

Cheesesteak pizza

Ricotta pastrami sandwich with raw onion on ciabatta

Hatch chile smoothie

Guacamole with blue cheese and smoked almonds

Blue cheese, raspberry and basil sandwich (no theme for these last two, I'm love blue cheese on a cracker)

Vegan Bolognese with cashew parmesan topping

Broccoli and grape salad

Dairy-free Lasagne with Tempeh Ragu  and Celeriac Puree. Recipe includes something referred to as vegan mozzarella, whatever that might be.

Pumpkin Cranberry Jello Shots. Includes 2 types of Vodka, Southern Comfort, canned pumpkin, cranberry gelatin and heavy cream.

Irish Elvis Truffle. White chocolate dyed green with peanut butter and banana cream filling with bacon sprinkled on top

• Like 1

The Awkward Yeti helps us survive in the middle of the woods

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...