• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

14 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Here is a recall of 80,000 pounds of ham from my state in Johnston County. They do not say where it may have been shipped or sold.

Here' another article on that recall that does sort of mention where and what:

"1 dead as N.C. meat producer recalls ready-to-eat ham products for listeria concerns"

Johnston County Hams of Smithfield, North Carolina, has recalled the products, produced between April 3, 2017, and Oct. 2, 2018, according to the Department of Agriculture. The ready-to-eat deli-loaf ham items, which weighed between seven and eight pounds, were shipped to distributors in North Carolina, South Carolina, New York, Maryland and Virginia...

The ham products were plastic-wrapped and carried one of five different labels including "Johnston County Hams Inc., Country Style Fully Cooked Boneless Deli Ham," "Goodnight Brothers Country Ham Boneless Fully Cooked," and "Padow’s Hams & Deli, Inc. Fully Cooked Country Ham Boneless Glazed with Brown Sugar."

Hams labelled "Ole Fashioned Sugar Cured, The Old Dominion Brand Hams Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham" and "Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham, Less Salt, Distributed By: Valley Country Hams LLC" had specific sell-by dates from April 10, 2018 to Sept. 27, 2019.

The article lists at the end the plant manager's phone number if anyone needs more information.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A different hamburger recall than the previous one that was posted:

"6.5 million pounds of beef recalled due to salmonella outbreak"

Arizona-based meat producer JBS Tolleson, Inc. is recalling 6,500,966 pounds of "various raw, non-intact beef products" due to an outbreak of salmonella, the United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced Thursday...
The recalled products were packaged between July 26 and September 7 and were sold nationwide under brand names Walmart, Cedar River Farms Natural Beef, Showcase, Showcase/Walmart and JBS Generic.

The USDA inspection mark on the packaging of the recalled products contains the establishment number "EST. 267."

"FSIS is concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers' freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase," the agency said in announcing the recall.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

"Walmart, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's are recalling thousands of pounds of ready-to-eat salads"

Hundreds of pounds of salad sold at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Walmart are being recalled due to salmonella and listeria contamination concerns.

Food suppliers GHSE, Prime Deli Corporation, Mary's Harvest Fresh Foods, Inc., and GH Foods CA recalled a combined 2,811 pounds of ready-to-eat salads, the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Wednesday. The salads were sold at chains including Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Walmart, and 7-Eleven.

The article lists the products being recalled and the stores where they were sold.

There is also a link to the FDA Food Recall site in the article.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Walmart, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's are recalling thousands of pounds of ready-to-eat salads"

The article lists the products being recalled and the stores where they were sold.

There is also a link to the FDA Food Recall site in the article.

Good heavens, it just goes on and on.  Thanks Toliver.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The recall has expanded...more veggies may have been contaminated which has led to more ready-to-eat products being recalled from more stores.

This article lists the stores impacted and some of the products:

"Recall hits millions of pounds of food from Harris Teeter, 7-Eleven, Kroger and more"

Millions of pounds of ready-to-eat salads and premade food items including entrees, burritos, wraps and pizzas at several big name retailers such as Harris Teeter, Kroger, Whole Foods, 7-Eleven, Trader Joe's and Walmart have been recalled due to the potential risk of listeria and salmonella contamination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The recall has expanded...more veggies may have been contaminated which has led to more ready-to-eat products being recalled from more stores.

This article lists the stores impacted and some of the products:

"Recall hits millions of pounds of food from Harris Teeter, 7-Eleven, Kroger and more"

Good Heavens!!!!!:sad:

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Duncan Hines cake mix recalled due to salmonella outbreak"

A recall was issued for four types of Duncan Hines cake mix due to possible salmonella contamination, the US Food and Drug Administration said Monday.

The voluntary recall was issued by Conagra Brands due to "a positive finding of Salmonella in a retail sample of Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix that may be linked to a Salmonella outbreak that is currently being investigated by CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and FDA," Conagra said in a statement.

The article names the 4 flavors of cake mix being recalled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

"Just in time for Thanksgiving: 4 recalled turkey products to avoid"

...the USDA is raising the alarm about raw turkey. The news comes as Jennie-O Turkey Store Sales recalled 91,388 pounds of raw ground turkey products after the USDA linked a pack of raw ground turkey to the cause of a patient’s salmonella poisoning.

The recalled ground turkey products were all produced on September 11, 2018:

1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 93% LEAN | 7% FAT” with “Use by” dates of 10/01/2018 and 10/02/2018
1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O TACO SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with a “Use by” date of 10/02/2018
1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O GROUND TURKEY 85% LEAN | 15% FAT” with a “Use by” date of 10/02/2018
1-lb. packages of “Jennie-O ITALIAN SEASONED GROUND TURKEY” with a “Use by” date of 10/02/2018

Sorry for the pop-up ad on the web page linked to the article.

• Confused 1

Tim Oliver

"Nearly 100,000 pounds of raw ground beef recalled due to E. coli scare"

...Swift Beef Company...

Products that were recalled were shipped to distributors in retail locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington. The items bear the establishment number “EST. 628.”

The following items are included in the recall.

• 2,000 lb. - bulk pallets of Swift Ground Beef 81/19 (81% lean) Fine Grind Combo bearing product code 42982.

• 8-10 lb. - plastic wrapped chubs of "blue ribbon BEEF" Ground Beef 81/19 (81% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42410.

• 8-10 lb. - plastic wrapped chubs of blue ribbon BEEF" Ground Beef 93/07 (93% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42413.

• 8-10 lb. - plastic wrapped chubs of "blue ribbon BEEF" Ground Beef 85/15 (85% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42415.

• 8-10 lb. - plastic wrapped chubs of "blue ribbon BEEF" Ground Beef 73/27 (73% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42510.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

14 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm so glad I have access to local, farm-raised beef, pork and chicken.

Yes, kay.

I'm sure my access is not up to your locally sourced small farmers, but at least I was able to get a pound of ground chuck that was ground at Food Lion on the same day my grocery order was delivered.

I tried shopping at Walmart for groceries one time. It was a deal breaker when I came across packages of ground beef that were in deep, shrink-wrapped packages with expiry dates a week out or more. This is a sure indication they have been treated with carbon monoxide, although there's no requirement to inform the buying public.

Thank God we still have butchers at Food Lion. It's just less risky, I think. Of course it's a pain to have to patty and freeze the meat the same day you receive it, but so worth it to me. I do wonder how long the onsite butchers will last as things get trimmed down to the bone, seemingly in every aspect of life.

> ^ . . ^ <

I will NOT buy meat at WalMart. It's loathesome. I've never had any luck with produce there, either. So I just don't go, except when I get to jonesing for their black bean and white corn salsa, which is pretty doggoned good salsa.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

CDC takes aggressive and widespread action against new, widespread E. Coli outbreak: throw away any and all romaine lettuce. associated with any form of romaine lettuce, and says to throw it all away.

“This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad,” the CDC said. “If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.”

and

The Food and Drug Administration issued a statement saying it is making a special effort to test romaine for contamination across the country.

“The quick and aggressive steps we’re taking today are aimed at making sure we get ahead of this emerging outbreak, to reduce risk to consumers, and to help people protect themselves and their families from this foodborne illness outbreak. This is especially important ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, when people will be sitting down for family meals,” said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

This strain of E. Coli is particularly virulent, and produces the Shiga toxin - which can cause kidney problems.

Edit: As I was typing this, we passed a double-trailer truck packed with boxes of romaine, going to market. It's harvest season near Yuma. I can't imagine what this will do to the farmers' Thanksgivings. CDC says so far they don't know the source of the contamination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

"More Than 29,000 Pounds of Jimmy Dean Sausage Links Recalled Due To Metal Contamination"

The company that produces Jimmy Dean meat products is recalling tens of thousands of sausage links because they may contain metal fragments...

The sausage products subject to recall were produced and packaged on Aug. 4, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The specific products affected are 23.4-ounce pouches of Jimmy Dean Heat ‘n Serve Original Sausage Links Made with Pork & Turkey with a use-by date of Jan. 31, 2019.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

"Del Monte recalls canned corn in 25 states, 12 nations, due to botulism risk"

Del Monte Foods is recalling more than 64,000 cases of incompletely sterilized canned corn that could cause life-threatening illness if consumed. Walmart and Target are among the retailers in 25 states and 12 countries that sold the recalled product, the food producer said.

The recall of 64,242 cases of "Fiesta Corn" seasoned with red and green peppers was due to under-processing, the company said in a notice posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration...

The article lists states where it was sold and which product "Best if used by" dates may be impacted by the recall.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

The first recall I am posting regarding prepared salads is a new recall:

"Recall issued for pre-packaged salads"

Several varieties of prepackaged salads are being recalled due to the possibility of Listeria, the Food and Drug Administration said. 

Apio, Inc. of Guadalupe, California is voluntarily recalling five varieties of Eat Smart Single-Serve Salad Shake Ups with a "Best Before" date of Dec. 14 after a random sample tested positive for Listeria Monocytogenes. 

The company said it is recalling all products produced on the same production line on the same day as that sample out of precaution. 

The salads were distributed in Florida, Arizona, California, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington.

The article lists the specific products being recalled. Though at this point...the salad has passed its "Best Before" date so if you still have it in your refrigerator, you're not going to eat that, are you? :wacko: 

The second recall in the news is regarding the recent romaine lettuce recall. A farm which may have been a source of the contaminated lettuce has issued a wider recall of its produce:

"The Farm Connected To The Romaine E.Coli Outbreak Is Now Recalling Its Cauliflower"

The California farm at least partially responsible for the most recent romaine e.coli scare is now recalling its cauliflower, as well as its red- and green-leaf lettuce, USA Today reports.

The Adam Bros. Farms of Santa Maria, CA, were identified publicly for the first time by the FDA last Thursday...

The potentially affected cauliflower was harvested in California from November 27 through 30 and shipped to wholesalers across Arizona, California, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, as well as to Canada and Mexico. The lettuces went out to California, Colorado, Texas, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Canada.

Edited by Toliver
Edited for clarification (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

I had second thoughts after I ordered an absolutely gorgeous salad with mandarin orange segments, sliced strawberries, toasted pecan halves, and grilled chicken yesterday for lunch. Didn't eat much of the lettuce, and have felt OK today.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What I read today isolated the e. coli to a reservoir  issue in California (yes we are the major agricultural source) and asked growers to ID their product. Messy business.  https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-12-california-farm-tied-coli-outbreak.html

Edited by heidih (log)

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

The second recall in the news is regarding the recent romaine lettuce recall. A farm which may have been a source of the contaminated lettuce has issued a wider recall of its produce:

"The Farm Connected To The Romaine E.Coli Outbreak Is Now Recalling Its Cauliflower"

I'm safe.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Just in time for New Year's Eve celebrations...bold and italic emphasis in the quote are my own...

"Kroger recalls shrimp products over potential health hazard"

Kroger Co. is recalling nine different kinds of cooked shrimp that actually are raw or undercooked, raising the risk of food-borne illness.

The shrimp was distributed at Kroger stores across Michigan, Ohio, northwest Virginia as well as KingSoopers, Frys and Smiths stores. All were produced Aug. 25-26, 2018, and have sell by dates of Aug. 25-26, 2020.

The specific products with product codes can be found in the article.

• Sad 2

Tim Oliver

"11,664 pounds chicken, pork sausages recalled over possible metal fragments"

The Alabama-based R.L. Zeigler Co. Inc. is recalling more than 11,500 pounds of poultry and meat sausages over possible contamination with metal fragments.
The recall affects red-hot chicken and pork products produced on Nov. 29.

See the article for specific products.

Tim Oliver

Well here is a whopper that @Chris Amirault shared elsewhere  https://newfoodeconomy.org/mccain-foods-salmonella-listeria-recall-2018/?fbclid=IwAR0rmB4h-HBag8CBG8sdukquP9D4peeugt0_T6SfMKNaX8tVYrtDwE7CQNQ   Vast amounts of food all up and down the food chain!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1