• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

On 5/6/2019 at 10:08 AM, chromedome said:

For our friends in Ontario: Dom Reserve brand hot-smoked salmon, potential listeria.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-05/eng/1557104244672/1557104247484

This one has also been updated, and now includes Quebec.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-17/eng/1558122636122/1558122636502

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of recent alerts that came in while I was busy packing and moving:

Nationally, salmonella in some Compliments brand (ie, Sobey's, Safeway and related stores) chicken strips.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-24/eng/1558738971471/1558738974286

Quebec only, Pousses et Cie branded spicy microgreens mix might be contaminated with L. monocytogenes.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-22/eng/1558549526741/1558549527573

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"Aldi recalls flour after E. coli sickens 17 people in 8 states including N.J., Pa., N.Y."

Aldi grocery stores have issued a recall of 5-pound bags of Bakers Corner All Purpose Flour after an outbreak of E. coli has sickened 17 people in eight states including New Jersey, officials said.

The flour, made by ADM Milling Co. in Buffalo, New York, was sold in stores in 11 states including Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia, according to a statement from Aldi

You can read more on the CDC (click) web site.

Note that the product code for the flour is in the first link.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Apricot seeds recalled due to potential for cyanide poisoning. What were they thinking?Apricot seeds.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Perdue Foods LLC Recalls Perdue Simply Smart Organics Poultry Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Perdue Foods LLC., a Bridgewater, Va. establishment, is recalling approximately 31,703 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of bone material, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Tim Oliver

• Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 7:00 AM, Anna N said:

Apricot seeds recalled due to potential for cyanide poisoning. What were they thinking?Apricot seeds.

Go figure, right?

Everyone else: "Dude, your poisonous seeds are full of poison-y poison. Don't eat them."

Dude: "But they're supposed to be, like...good for you or something...?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

Go figure, right?

Everyone else: "Dude, your poisonous seeds are full of poison-y poison. Don't eat them."

Dude: "But they're supposed to be, like...good for you or something...?"

Totally.  But it sounds like the recall is not due to the poison itself but a need to change the packaging to suggest a smaller serving size.  You can have a little poison, just don't eat the whole bag of poison  ...

Consumers should not consume the recalled products described below as they have incorrect dosage information and excessive consumption may cause cyanide poisoning.

But if you're calling it a dose rather than a serving, should this even be in the snack aisle?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

But if you're calling it a dose rather than a serving, should this even be in the snack aisle?

Exactly. And given that the kernels are naturally quite variable in their cyanide content, even speaking in terms of "dosage" is a stretch.

On an unrelated note, anyone in Ontario or Quebec who bought something called a "choco-raspberry crunchy" (to which I wonder...crunhy what?) made by France-Delices should return it, as the raspberries used in the product may have been contaminated with norovirus.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-06-04/eng/1559699123737/1559699125864

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

On an unrelated note, anyone in Ontario or Quebec who bought something called a "choco-raspberry crunchy" (to which I wonder...crunhy what?) made by France-Delices should return it, as the raspberries used in the product may have been contaminated with norovirus.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-06-04/eng/1559699123737/1559699125864

I tried to find out exactly what these things are...went to images...no suitable photos...and still don't know.  But I promise we won't buy any.  And don't you either.    Oops.  Only in ON and PQ.  Sorry.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Not to worry. Even if they were available in my neck of the woods, I'd have been at little risk. :P

• Haha 1

"Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Ready-To-Eat Chicken Fritter Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Tyson Foods, Inc., a New Holland, Pa. establishment, is recalling approximately 190,757 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken fritter products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen ready-to-eat chicken fritter items were produced on February 28, 2019...

For specific products/product codes, see the article.

There's also a PDF file embedded in the article where you can see the labels of the products.

Tim Oliver

Announced today -- a recall of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour in five-pound bags, due to potential E. coli contamination.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Announced today -- a recall of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour in five-pound bags, due to potential E. coli contamination.

This is getting too close to home...last night I brought home two two pound bags of KAF organic all purpose.

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This is getting too close to home...last night I brought home two two pound bags of KAF organic all purpose.

It used to be 'don't buy anything to eat made in China'...now it's what?  King Arthur flour?  What's next?  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I got an email about the flour bc shoprite has my email address and told me to return it for a refund. 

I checked the news and it said that the batches affected had an expiration date of 12.7.19, 12.8.19, etc. 

My expiration date was in the year 2020 so I thought mine was good and would likely keep usin it unless I get e coli 

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Haha 4

Two for one today:

"246,000 pounds of frozen [El Monterey brand] breakfast wraps recalled as they may contain small rocks"

El Monterey brand frozen breakfast wraps are being recalled to the tune of more than 246,000 pounds. The wraps, which are sold nationwide, are being recalled over fears the bacon may be contaminated with extraneous materials, including small rocks.

Small rocks? O.o

Details and product info here (click).

"Winco Foods, LLC. Recalls Frozen Red Raspberries Because of Possible Health Risk"

WinCo Foods, LLC. Of Boise, ID is recalling Frozen Red Raspberries, 12 ounce bag, manufactured by Rader Farms of Bellingham, WA, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Norovirus...

...Product was distributed to WinCo Foods stores in Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, Texas, and Utah.

Highlight of the state names is from me. Product code/details can be found at the link above.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Avocado chunks recalled in 15 states after a bag tests positive for listeria"

Nature's Touch Frozen Foods has recalled bags of frozen avocado chunks over a possible listeria contamination...
It was distributed in 15 states at the following stores: Albertsons, Safeway, Safeway Community Markets, Carrs-Safeway, Eagle, Lucky, Pak N Save, Pavilions, and Vons.
The states where the product was sold include Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming, Texas, and Utah.

State listing emphasis is mine.

See the article for the specific product code information.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

As always I am grateful to CD and Toliver for keeping us up to date on the recalls.  Beggars the imagination almost.  But not quite. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

As always I am grateful to CD and Toliver for keeping us up to date on the recalls.  Beggars the imagination almost.  But not quite. 

When I first saw the recall for "Avocado  Chunks", I thought this had to be a joke. Who would call this product such an unappetizing name? Why not something nicer like "Diced Avocados"? Marketing...go figure.¬¬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

When I first saw the recall for "Avocado  Chunks", I thought this had to be a joke. Who would call this product such an unappetizing name? Why not something nicer like "Diced Avocados"? Marketing...go figure.¬¬

To me, "chunks" describes relatively large but irregularly cut pieces while "diced" pieces would be smaller and more uniform.  Perfectly appetizing in chocolate chunk cookies, chunky peanut butter, Nestle Chunky Bar, Chunky Monkey ice cream ... as long as the chunks are not being spewed. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Frozen berries recalled over norovirus contamination"

Select batches of frozen blackberries and mixed berries have been pulled from store shelves after a sample tested positive for norovirus. Alma Pak of Alma, Ga., said it was notified by the Food and Drug Administration about the test results but has not received any illnesses connected to the recall...

The products were sold as 16-ounce Great Value Frozen Blackberries and distributed at Walmart locations between 1/31/2019 and 05/31/2019 in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina and have expiration dates of 1/25/2021, 03/07/2021, 04/08/2021. The other product was sold as 12-ounce Tipton Grove Frozen Mixed Berries and distributed at Save-a-Lot locations between 05/05/2019 and 05/15/2019 in Florida, North Carolina, New York, Tennessee and Wisconsin and have expiration dates of 04/22/2021, 04/23/2021, 04/24/2021.

So this is a Walmart/Great Value recall as opposed to the berry recall mentioned up thread from WinCo.

So it turns out the recent flour recalls have expanded and the culprit may be the original raw wheat itself (as opposed to getting contaminated during the manufacturing/packaging process):

"Food Poisoning Outbreaks Linked to Flour: Study Shows Raw Wheat Can Be Contaminated"

In the wake of the latest E. coli outbreak linked to raw flour, a study published in the Journal of Food Protection has found that a small percentage of raw wheat can be contaminated with Salmonella, EHEC (Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli), and Listeria bacteria. The scientists conducted a baseline study from 2012 to 2014 to determine the prevalence and levels of pathogens in wheat samples taken before milling.

There are links in the article regarding the flour recalls that happened earlier this year and the current recalls. 

Tim Oliver

On 6/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, Toliver said:

When I first saw the recall for "Avocado  Chunks", I thought this had to be a joke. Who would call this product such an unappetizing name?

I agree. Perhaps because of a misspent youth, when I hear "chunks" in my mind's ear it is always preceded by the word "blowing."

• Haha 4

On 6/5/2019 at 8:02 AM, chromedome said:

The recall on this mysterious treat has just been extended to Alberta as well.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-06-21/eng/1561158555168/1561158555414