• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's an updated of the earlier recall on infant formula for cronobacter. It's now been extended to the comparable product from Costco.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-25/eng/1572063379373/1572063379748

There's also yet another update on the E. coli beef/veal recall, adding products to the list:

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-25/eng/1572058578545/1572058579170

A less-common reason for recall...Drake Meats brand salami, Saskatchewan only, potential undercooking.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-25/eng/1572067321079/1572067321423

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Imagine the length of the total recall in stores.  It's all a bit much.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"A Michigan produce company is recalling apples in eight states for possible listeria contamination"

A Michigan produce company has recalled nearly 2,300 cases of fresh apples that could be contaminated with listeria.

North Bay Produce said the recall affects branded bags of Red Delicious, McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonathan and Jonamac apples and in non-branded white and plastic bags.
The varieties were shipped between October 16 and 21 to Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.

• Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Compliments brand sweet kale blend, listeria, almost-national (they haven't named Quebec yet, but the other 9 provinces are all listed):

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-30/eng/1572471987686/1572471993795

Ontario and Quebec only, "Fromagerie Bergeron" brand Gouda curds and something called "Le Populaire," for salmonella.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-30/eng/1572495600607/1572495606863

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Two recalls:

"Nestlé cookie dough recalled because it may have rubber pieces"

Twenty-six varieties of Nestlé refrigerated, ready-to-bake cookie dough are being recalled because they may contain what are described as "food-grade rubber pieces."

Nestlé USA says the recall involves specific batch codes and includes ready-to-bake Nestlé Toll House Cookie Dough bars, tubs and tube-shaped “chubs" which were distributed in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

The article lists the specific products.

"Recall alert: Frozen raspberries pulled from freezers due to health concerns"

Check your freezer.  Frozen raspberries sold at Aldi and Raley’s grocery stores have been recalled due to possible contamination with the Hepatitis A virus.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, Wawona Frozen Foods has voluntarily recalled the packages of frozen raspberries and frozen berry mixes out of an abundance of caution due to a positive test result following a government sampling program.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

December's issue of Consumer Reports:   When Recalls Fail by Rachel Rabkin Peachman.

Tainted Food.  The Department of Agriculture can't force recalls of contaminate meat, leaving that to the companies themselves.  As a result food can be sold even after it has been linked to illness. 

And so it goes.  I haven't had time to read it all, but I am thoroughly sickened by as much as I have read. 

Added:  I'm reading some of the text out loud to Ed in horror and he says...."I wonder what we're (Canada) like..."

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The listeria recall for Compliments brand sweet kale salad has been expanded to include a number of other cut-vegetable products. If you've bought any prepared-vegetable items from Sobey's, up to and including Thursday (Oct 31) then by all means click through and read the list.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-01/eng/1572663865437/1572663871425?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, Toliver said:

Twenty-six varieties of Nestlé refrigerated, ready-to-bake cookie dough are being recalled because they may contain what are described as "food-grade rubber pieces."

So, all the flavors with raisins? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, Toliver said:

"Nestlé cookie dough recalled because it may have rubber pieces"

Nestlé USA says the recall involves specific batch codes and includes ready-to-bake Nestlé Toll House Cookie Dough bars, tubs and tube-shaped “chubs" which were distributed in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Just hit me...what is food-grade rubber?????

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

8 hours ago, Darienne said:

Just hit me...what is food-grade rubber?????

It just means it's okay to be in contact with food, and won't impart any toxic substances, discoloration, off-flavors etc to the food products. I expect there are a number of surfaces and parts that use rubber or rubber-based compounds in various companies' manufacturing processes.

There are similar distinctions made with plastics: The Ziploc bags you buy for sandwiches or freezer use are food-grade plastic, but your garbage bags aren't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

National recall for a variety of Mann's brand products, mostly cut vegetables, salads, etc. Apparently this is related to the earlier recall for Compliments-branded products, so presumably Mann was the manufacturer for those.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-03/eng/1572825937797/1572825944046?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 2

Another update to the beef/veal recall for E. coli, but this one's pretty limited/local:  If you bought beef shank or flank at Foody World in Scarborough during a three-day period in June...

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-04/eng/1572909311761/1572909312183?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chromedome said:

National recall for a variety of Mann's brand products, mostly cut vegetables, salads, etc. Apparently this is related to the earlier recall for Compliments-branded products, so presumably Mann was the manufacturer for those.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-03/eng/1572825937797/1572825944046?utm_source=r_listserv

This recall is also expanding to the US - a HUGE number of brands involved -

here is is the Mann’s Click for link to Mann’s link to the brands involved in the US - (Trader joes , HEB - Kroger - Signature Farms, etc) 

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Salmonella in Filicetti brand dry-cured hot Italian-style sausage. Distribution (at present) is BC, Ontario and Quebec.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-05/eng/1572977804354/1572977810433?utm_source=r_listserv

Also, another update on the beef/veal recall in Ontario and Quebec. This one applies to a single meat shop in Toronto.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-05/eng/1572993056173/1572993062423?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

Another product added to the Mann listeria recall, applying to units sold up to and including today.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573074840419/1573074840780?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

"Simmons Prepared Foods, Inc. Recalls Poultry Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Simmons Prepared Foods, Inc., a Gentry, Ark. establishment, is recalling approximately 2,071,397 pounds of poultry products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

That's a lot of chicken.

There's a link to a spread sheet in the article with a list of products being recalled.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Local and probably not of interest to most:  prepared food and delicatessen items from Shoprite (not the same Shoprite store where I shop) have been recalled for hepatitis A contamination.  The county is offing free hepatitis A immunizations, though vaccine supplies have run out.  As of this morning's headlines six people have died.

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

• Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Local and probably not of interest to most:  prepared food and delicatessen items from Shoprite (not the same Shoprite store where I shop) have been recalled for hepatitis A contamination.  The county is offing free hepatitis A immunizations, though vaccine supplies have run out.  As of this morning's headlines six people have died.

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

This is terrible.  Six deaths.  Not acceptable.  Where in NJ is this?   We have dear friends who live in NJ.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.