• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

Ontario only, ground veal sold under the Globe Meats Fresh Market brand is recalled for potential E. coli contamination.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-26/eng/1569531744333/1569531750402

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's also a national recall on Brandt brand extra-lean kielbasa, for possible listeria contamination.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-26/eng/1569542364126/1569542370074

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Diced precooked chicken products sold commercially under various brands (including Sysco), recalled for listeria:

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-27/eng/1569645385834/1569645392556

Chances are there'll be some updates on this one, it's the kind of product that's often used in salads and ready-to-eat meals.

That one was all but national and probably will be extended nationally. There's a second one for Ontario only, again listeria, affecting deli trays from Metro.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-27/eng/1569630721077/1569630727804

• Like 2

I'm guessing this story is related to the recall upthread for diced, cooked chicken:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/toronto-resident-contracts-listeriosis-after-eating-contaminated-sandwich-1.10012896

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I'm guessing this story is related to the recall upthread for diced, cooked chicken:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/toronto-resident-contracts-listeriosis-after-eating-contaminated-sandwich-1.10012896

I 'knew' that listeria could take 30 days to manifest...but this article says up to 70 days.  It would be pretty difficult to chase back one's eating more than two months to find the source.   

OTOH, a friend's brother died from mad cow disease some years ago and they were told that the illness could simply live in the body for decades before it showed up.  The brother had lived for some years in Brazil and Argentina many years ago and eaten much beef and the medical staff said that would have been the cause.   It was a terrible story.

• Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is not about people food. It's a recall for pet food:

"FDA Cautions Pet Owners Not to Feed Performance Dog Raw Pet Food Due to Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes"

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed their pets Performance Dog frozen raw pet food purchased after July 22, 2019 because a sample tested positive for Salmonella and L. mono.

The FDA collected two samples of raw pet food manufactured by Bravo Packing, Inc. (Performance Dog and a beef variety) during a routine inspection of the manufacturing facility in Carneys Point, NJ. The sample of Performance Dog raw pet food lot 072219 tested positive for Salmonella and L. mono. The sample of the beef raw pet food tested positive for Salmonella, but the product had not yet been distributed.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great.  Hotels, Restaurants, Institutional.  Your elderly Mother in some long term care facility.  Your brother in the hospital.  Travelers on the road.  Just what we needed next.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Another day, another chicken product recalled for listeria. Again, this one's national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-01/eng/1569965839010/1569965845052

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A busy night at the CFIA, with multiple recalls. A few are related to the ongoing chicken/listeria issue, but one is not.

Deli Chef branded sandwiches, Maritimes and Quebec so far but possibly national:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-01/eng/1569995106821/1569995112960

GFS' privately-branded chicken products, affecting the Prairies and North so far (for those who don't know, Gordon Food Services is second only to Sysco among wholesalers up here):

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-01/eng/1569966827257/1569966833147

...and another chicken sandwich recall, Ontario only:
https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-01/eng/1569967476860/1569967484093

And finally, just to change things up, there's a national recall of beef and veal products from Ryding-Regency Meat Packers due to E. coli:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-01/eng/1569981499839/1569981506348

The latter is a long, LONG list.

All in all, it's been a good week to buy from the farmer's market and cook your meals at home.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A busy night at the CFIA, with multiple recalls. A few are related to the ongoing chicken/listeria issue, but one is not.

All in all, it's been a good week to buy from the farmer's market and cook your meals at home.

It's actually quite staggering.   Does any person/institute/etc write about why this is happening?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In this instance, the recalls all stem from the original producer of the chicken product (which is then re-sold under various names by various wholesalers, and made into end products by various establishments).

The cause of the issue, at the original producer, is quite certainly under investigation right now and doubtless there will be news stories and an exculpatory damage-mitigating press release from the offending producer (remember a few years ago when Maple Leaf had its problems? That was a masterful press response by the company). We've seen similar scenarios in the past, where a problem at a bulk producer (a flour mill, for instance) ends up affecting dozens of products at the consumer level, and hundreds of foodservice establishments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chromedome said:

In this instance, the recalls all stem from the original producer of the chicken product (which is then re-sold under various names by various wholesalers, and made into end products by various establishments).

The cause of the issue, at the original producer, is quite certainly under investigation right now and doubtless there will be news stories and an exculpatory damage-mitigating press release from the offending producer (remember a few years ago when Maple Leaf had its problems? That was a masterful press response by the company). We've seen similar scenarios in the past, where a problem at a bulk producer (a flour mill, for instance) ends up affecting dozens of products at the consumer level, and hundreds of foodservice establishments.

It's the reason behind the reason...  I remember the Maple Leaf problem quite well.  And the one machine in particular, overseen...overseen?...by an inspector and the machine had not been cleaned...not once...in five years.  And one thinks of one's own life, the constant cleaning and concerns for safety and health and so on.  The never-ending-ness of it all.  And five years not cleaned?  Where does that sort of thing leave the mind?  Not good stuff.  Sorry.  It just can't be dealt with easily.   But then life is full of that...

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I got sick from the Maple Leaf cold cuts. I just pulled a blanket over my head and crawled into a corner to die. I have never been so sick before. I feel for folks getting sick from food. It's criminal.

• Sad 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Two recalls to post:

"King Arthur Flour recalls some unbleached all-purpose flour for possible E. coli contamination"

King Arthur Flour, in association with ADM Milling Company, announced a voluntary national recall of specific lots of its Unbleached All-Purpose Flour in 5-pound and 25-pound bags because of the potential presence of E.coli.
The recall is an expansion of another that was announced in June...

...King Arthur said the 5-pound bags were sold through retailers and distributors nationwide, and through its website, catalog and company store in Vermont. The 25-pound bags were sold only through Costco stores.

"Chicken salad products sold across Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana recalled over Listeria concerns"

Lipari Foods has issued a voluntary recall of several chicken salad and chicken salad sandwich products, Food and Drug Administration officials said.
Lipari Old Tyme Bulk Chicken Salad, Lipari Old Tyme Bulk Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad, Premo Chicken Salad Wedge Sandwiches, Fresh Grab Chicken Salad Wedge Sandwiches and Premo Signature Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad on Croissant due to potential contamination of Listeria monocytogenes.

There's a lengthy listing of US states involved in the recall in the article.

Tim Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Good time to eat at home. Beef Boutique is a terrible name. Thanks CD

• Like 1

It's all getting just a bit repetitious, don't you think?

My S-i-L's best friend is just recovering from a dreadful onslaught of e-coli.  I mean really scary.  She's turned a corner finally.  They do eat out a lot.  I wonder.  I did tell her about all the recent recalls.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am close to recovered from a 4+ day bout with some kind of food borne agent.   The only food that husband did not share around the time of the on-set was organic spinach.    I can't find a recall, but have a call into Earthbound Farms customer care who should respond tomorrow.    I am sure this was not severe enough to be ecoli, but is as much as I ever want to experience.    First food in 4 days = cream of rice cereal.    Tonight, I'll try a piece of baked potato.   

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am close to recovered from a 4+ day bout with some kind of food borne agent.   The only food that husband did not share around the time of the on-set was organic spinach.    I can't find a recall, but have a call into Earthbound Farms customer care who should respond tomorrow.    I am sure this was not severe enough to be ecoli, but is as much as I ever want to experience.    First food in 4 days = cream of rice cereal.    Tonight, I'll try a piece of baked potato.   

Glad this is over for you @Margaret Pilgrim.  But then you have to remember that it might have been something you ate 30 days ago...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just for a change of pace, we have a recall due to...cronobacter. I don't think anyone here has an infant currently, but it's a national recall for PC brand Lower Iron Infant Formula.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-05/eng/1570322221379/1570322221754

• Sad 2

This is an expansion of the previously mentioned recall by the USDA:

"Tip Top Poultry, Inc. Recalls Ready-To-Eat Poultry Products Due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

This release is being updated to alert consumers that the recalled ready-to-eat poultry products were used in additional products. Some of the products may have been served from the deli counter in grocery stores.

There is a linked-to list of vendors who may have sold the tainted meat in question.

In this article about the same recall, they mention some of the vendors:

"Chicken sold at major retailers recalled"

Stores in New York where these products were sold include Aldi and Weis. Pennsylvania Weis, Giant, Redners, and Aldi locations also received these products.

The original recall included products sold at Target and Trader Joe’s.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver