• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

There's a listeria recall for diced, cooked, chicken meat. Currently it applies to 7 provinces, but it'll probably be extended to "national." Currently it only applies to commercial/institutional products, but may expand to consumer products as the CFIA continues its investigation.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-18/eng/1566177360394/1566177366791

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

There's a listeria recall for diced, cooked, chicken meat. Currently it applies to 7 provinces, but it'll probably be extended to "national." Currently it only applies to commercial/institutional products, but may expand to consumer products as the CFIA continues its investigation.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-18/eng/1566177360394/1566177366791

Gives pause for thought.  According to my notes from my food handling course, Listeria can take up to 30 days to incubate.  So now some folks who ate that meat up to 30 days ago are ill and if you have eaten it too, well all best to you.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Tip Top Poultry, Inc. Recalls Fully Cooked Poultry Products due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

Tip Top Poultry, Inc., a Rockmart, Ga. establishment, is recalling approximately 135,810 pounds of fully cooked poultry products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen, diced, and mechanically separated ready to eat chicken was produced on January 21, 2019 and display “PACK DATE 01/21/19” on the labels. The products subject to recall can be found in this spreadsheet. [View labels (PDF only)]

The products subject to recall bear establishment number “P-17453” inside the USDA mark of inspection or on the case. These items were shipped to hotels, restaurants, and institutions nationwide.  

Not a consumer-oriented recall but a recall for institutions. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 8/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, chromedome said:

That one, probably the Canadian equivalent to the one Toliver just posted, has now been updated (includes Sysco, which certainly ups the ante):

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-21/eng/1566441064966/1566441070819

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Not food per se, but glass cooktops from Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and JennAir

Tens of thousands of stovetops have been recalled, for the freakiest of reasons: They can turn themselves on.

• Confused 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

And I just saw a new one for today for Quebec.  Seems like one of the best reasons for not eating prepared food.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, demiglace said:

Chicken bones though right?

Or so one would assume/hope. It wasn't specified.

For Quebec and recent visitors there, "Deli Shop" brand pate has been recalled for potential listeria.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-30/eng/1567201658590/1567201658898

• Like 1

"American Beef Packers, Inc. Recalls Raw Beef Products Deemed Unfit for Human Consumption"

American Beef Packers, Inc., a Chino, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 24,428 pounds of raw beef products that are deemed unfit for human consumption, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

FSIS inspection personnel retained the carcass and collected a sample for further analysis. Prior to test results being received, the carcass was erroneously released and further processed into raw intact and non-intact beef products, which were distributed in commerce.

Harrumph...."erroneously released" my Aunt Fanny. But then that's just my opinion.¬¬

Product codes are listed in the article.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

"American Beef Packers, Inc. Recalls Raw Beef Products Deemed Unfit for Human Consumption"

Harrumph...."erroneously released" my Aunt Fanny. But then that's just my opinion.¬¬

Product codes are listed in the article.

Where are the icons for 'terrifying', 'furious', 'appalled' and so on?  Is there no end to this?  Apparently not. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:18 PM, chromedome said:

An updated has expanded this recall to New Brunswick and "possibly national."

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-04/eng/1567624714949/1567624715699

"Backyard flocks involved in Salmonella outbreaks tops 1,000"

Summer is ending with more than 1,000 people infected with Salmonella because of contamination by backyard poultry flocks. All but one of the 50 states has backyard flock outbreaks...
...Two deaths, one from Texas and the other from Ohio, are associated with the backyard flock Salmonella outbreaks this year.

The article offers tips on how to stay Salmonella-free if you have backyard chickens.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

On 9/4/2019 at 6:00 PM, chromedome said:

...annnnnd, yet another update to the date codes involved.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-05/eng/1567719387503/1567719388014

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of recalls that hit my inbox while I was away from home:

For Ontario and Quebec, an update of an earlier recall of pates, terrines, rillettes etc sold under a variety of brand names.
http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-12/eng/1568345193713/1568345200763

Also Abbott Labs' Calcilo XD calcium supplement for infants, which I suppose is pretty niche. They aren't calling it "national," but every province except NB and PEI is listed.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-13/eng/1568425849063/1568425849551

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A couple of recalls that hit my inbox while I was away from home:

For Ontario and Quebec, an update of an earlier recall of pates, terrines, rillettes etc sold under a variety of brand names.
http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-12/eng/1568345193713/1568345200763

Also Abbott Labs' Calcilo XD calcium supplement for infants, which I suppose is pretty niche. They aren't calling it "national," but every province except NB and PEI is listed.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-13/eng/1568425849063/1568425849551

It all makes me gag and determined never to buy processed foods at all. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Gold Medal unbleached flour recall: General Mills recalls 120,000 bags"

General Mills is recalling about 600,000 pounds – or about 120,000 five-pound bags – of its Gold Medal Unbleached All Purpose Flour for possible E. coli contamination.
The voluntary recall is for bags with a "better if used by" date of September 6, 2020, according to a notice on the Food and Drug Administration website. The UPC is 000-16000-19610-0.

There's a General Mills phone number and web link in the article for more information.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I don't recall any currently-active members in Atlantic Canada except me, but a couple of Randsland bagged salads are recalled in NS, NB and NF for potential listeria. I don't recognize the brand at all, so goodness knows where they're sold.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-24/eng/1569374963305/1569374970100

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't recall any currently-active members in Atlantic Canada except me, but a couple of Randsland bagged salads are recalled in NS, NB and NF for potential listeria. I don't recognize the brand at all, so goodness knows where they're sold.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-09-24/eng/1569374963305/1569374970100

I do recall an male eGer in NS, near Halifax, but it does go back a while...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yeah, Peter the Eater. Hasn't posted in a while. I can think of a few other formerly-active members, but nobody who's been around lately.

• Like 1

This is not a food recall as such, but as a heartburn-related drug I think it's at least "food adjacent" and merits mention: Ranitidine (Zantac) recalled nationally for contamination with a carcinogen.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2019/71029a-eng.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1