• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

53 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I agree. Perhaps because of a misspent youth, when I hear "chunks" in my mind's ear it is always preceded by the word "blowing."

Well, there you are.  Those who misspent their youth when I was in mine, lo these many years, did not use that expression.   They had other ones...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Voluntary recall of Trader Joe's Spiralized Butternut Squash and Zucchini

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Listeria in Donge brand raw-milk cheese, at present the Coulommiers only. So far the recall's limited to Quebec.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-07-02/eng/1562123202740/1562123205334

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Eat Smart brand sweet kale salad kit, the 794g size, listeria. Affects all provinces from Ontario east.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-07-09/eng/1562715652993/1562715655270

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's a national recall of some bison products due to potential E. coli contamination.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-07-16/eng/1563315202785/1563315204824

I actually have a package of the Sensations brand extra-lean ground in my freezer, but the date codes are a couple of months removed from those in the recall.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, chromedome said:

There's a national recall of some bison products due to potential E. coli contamination.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-07-16/eng/1563315202785/1563315204824

I actually have a package of the Sensations brand extra-lean ground in my freezer, but the date codes are a couple of months removed from those in the recall.

Then eat it with joy in your heart. :wub:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Pita Pal Foods, LP Recalls Various Hummus and Dips Due to Possible Health Risk"

Pita Pal Foods, LP of Houston, TX has issued a voluntary recall of certain hummus products made between May 30, 2019 and June 25, 2019, due to concerns over Listeria monocytogenes, which was identified at the manufacturing facility (not in finished product) during an FDA inspection.

See the posting on the FDA page for a complete (long) list of products being recalled.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Some Pacific oysters, paralytic shellfish poisoning. Currently, the recall affects BC, Alberta and Ontario.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-07-19/eng/1563582779479/1563582781500

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Sometimes I really wonder....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Elevation Foods Recalls Packaged Egg Salad, Tuna Salad, Thai Lobster Salad, and Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwiches Because of Possible Health Risk"

Elevation Foods is voluntarily recalling containers of Archer Farms-brand egg salad; Freskëtbrand egg salad, tuna salad, and Thai lobster salad; and Archer Farms-brand deviled egg sandwiches produced on June 18, 2019 due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.

Archer Farms is an in-store Target brand name.

See the FDA article for specific items that are being recalled.

(Frustrating that they didn't include which states the products were sent to...and it doesn't help that now I am jonesing for a Thai Lobster salad or a Deviled Egg sandwichxD).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2

• Like 2

"Kent Quality Foods, Inc. Recalls Ready-To-Eat Sausage Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Kent Quality Foods, Inc., a Grand Rapids, Mich. establishment, is recalling approximately 48,681 pounds of ready-to-eat polish sausage with beef products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of flexible pink rubber, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Product was shipped to California and Utah.

Tim Oliver

19 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I could be mistaken but those labels look like products I saw at a Costco Road Show. I didn't buy any because it didn't interest me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

"Dole recalls baby spinach sold in 10 states over salmonella fears"

Dole is recalling two different types of baby spinach sold in 10 states due to a possible risk of salmonella contamination.

The company announced on Aug. 9 that it will recall cases of the six-ounce bags of Dole Baby Spinach and 10-ounce bags of Dole Baby Spinach clamshell, both with use-by dates of Aug. 5, 2019, due to a possible exposure to salmonella.

The 10 states impacted are: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

See the article for details.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Possible botulism in salmon caviar from distributor KananaskisTrade, recall currently affects Ontario but might become national.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-14/eng/1565794116255/1565794118158

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Possible botulism in salmon caviar from distributor KananaskisTrade, recall currently affects Ontario but might become national.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-14/eng/1565794116255/1565794118158

Thanks CD.  I now get the Canadian recalls also.  But you are the hero, posting them publicly.  And on and on and on it goes....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Weaver Brand Ready-To-Eat Chicken Patty Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Tyson Foods Inc., a Pine Bluff, Ark. establishment, is recalling approximately 39,078 pounds of Weaver brand frozen chicken patty product that may be contaminated with extraneous materials,...

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

25 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Extraneous as in dinosaurs, emeralds, canoes, ....who knows?  It seems to me that the name Tyson has popped up quite a lot in the last couple of years.   Might want to give it some thought....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tyson's is huge. It produces more than half the prepared chicken products sold in US supermarkets. It'd be surprising if there weren't a sizeable number of recalls.

That said, I once lived in Bentonville, near the Tyson headquarters in Springdale, amidst a covey of Tyson plants. I toured one once. It's one reason I don't buy grocery store chicken.

• Sad 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Here's one you don't see every day....Heinz baby food, turkey stew 8+ months, is recalled for potential presence of insects. Presently they're saying BC, Newfoundland, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan. I'm guessing it'll be updated to "national" at some point, given that spread.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-16/eng/1566012117302/1566012119453

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Here's one you don't see every day....Heinz baby food, turkey stew 8+ months, is recalled for potential presence of insects. Presently they're saying BC, Newfoundland, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan. I'm guessing it'll be updated to "national" at some point, given that spread.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-08-16/eng/1566012117302/1566012119453

What can you do except shake your head?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

What can you do except shake your head?

It's not like they aren't going to eat bugs once they're capable of locomotion, but still... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3