• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

"Publix recalls deli popcorn chicken over 'foreign material' concerns"

A popular grocery chain has issued a recall for its deli popcorn chicken over concerns that it may be contaminated with “foreign material.” Publix Super Markets has issued the recall for products sold in Florida, parts of Georgia, southern and coastal areas of South Carolina and southern Alabama.

According to an alert posted to Publix’ website, the voluntary recall involves popcorn chicken sourced from Pilgrim’s Pride, which is "doing business as Pierce Chicken." The products were sold between Jan. 17-31, and was found in both the hot and refrigerated cases.

And for any eGer's in Europe:

"Beef scare: Polish bad meat spreads to 11 EU states"

Eleven EU countries have imported beef from a Polish abattoir accused of handling sick cows, and urgent checks are now under way, EU officials say.

Poland has identified 9.5 tonnes of beef from the plant, now closed down, 2.5 tonnes of which was exported.

"Withdrawal and destruction of the meat is ongoing," the EU Commission said.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation Recalls Breaded Popcorn Chicken Products Due To Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation, a Mt. Pleasant, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 58,020 pounds of not-ready-to-eat (NRTE) breaded chicken products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically rubber, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen, not-ready-to-eat (NRTE) breaded chicken items were produced on Jan. 4, 2019. The following product is subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]

Contact phone numbers and web links for more information are provided near the end of the article.

Is it just me or don't there seem to be a lot of "contamination" recalls happening lately? I guess it's better they find them to report than for us to find out on our own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

58 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Is it just me or don't there seem to be a lot of "contamination" recalls happening lately? I guess it's better they find them to report than for us to find out on our own.

Has anyone alluded to where all this rubber is coming from?

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Stacy’s Pita Chips recalled due to undeclared milk ingredient in some bags"

Frito-Lay announced a limited voluntary recall of "a very small number of 7 1/3 oz. bags of Stacy’s Simply Naked Pita Chips because they may contain undeclared milk ingredient,'' a press release on the Food and Drug Administration website said. “People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume the product contained inside the recalled pita chips bags.”

Tim Oliver

Ontario and Quebec residents...products from Betty Bakery and Nancy's Fancy bakery may contain mouse droppings. Ew.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-02-09/eng/1549743046390/1549743046640

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Ontario and Quebec residents...products from Betty Bakery and Nancy's Fancy bakery may contain mouse droppings. Ew.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-02-09/eng/1549743046390/1549743046640

Dog hairs yes (well our own dogs)...mouse or other rodent droppings...no.  Thanks, CD. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

In the US, there is a limit on how much mouse droppings are allowed in our food.  That fact has always skeeved me out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

In the US, there is a limit on how much mouse droppings are allowed in our food.  That fact has always skeeved me out.

Beat me to it.  Also insect filth.

At least there is a limit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Actually I became aware of the filth issue quite a few years ago when I was researching ammoniacal Finnish licorice that a friend very kindly sent.  I found the text of a US-Finnish chocolate treaty.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

People in 19 states infected with brucellosis after drinking raw milk

Although it’s illegal to sell unpasteurized milk across state lines, federal officials say people in 19 states have been infected with drug-resistant brucella after consuming raw milk from Miller’s Biodiversity Farm in Pennsylvania.

In a nationwide food safety alert, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that anyone who has consumed raw dairy products from the farm in the past three years should check in with their doctors. The outbreak strain of Brucella — RB51 — is resistant to rifampin, one of the antibiotics that is typically be used to prevent or treat brucellosis.

The CDC and state officials are urging consumers to throw away any raw dairy products from Miller’s Biodiversity Farm that they have in their homes.  

“People who consumed raw milk or raw milk products from this dairy farm since January 2016 may have been exposed and should talk to their doctor,” according to the CDC food safety alert.

There is an even more immediate health threat to people who have had unpasteurized, raw dairy products from Miller’s Biodiversity Farm in Quarryville, PA, in recent months. Even if they haven’t developed symptoms of Brucella infection, they should immediately seek medical attention, according to the CDC. [....]

Emphasis is mine. More reading at the above link. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

This one actually stood a chance of affecting me, because I buy this particular sweet kale salad occasionally. Listeria monocytogenes is the culprit, and it's possibly national (Canada). 

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-02-17/eng/1550451685800/1550451687861

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

This one actually stood a chance of affecting me, because I buy this particular sweet kale salad occasionally. Listeria monocytogenes is the culprit, and it's possibly national (Canada). 

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-02-17/eng/1550451685800/1550451687861

Thanks CD.  Are you taking on this task of reporting food recalls for Canada as Toliver does for the USA?  If so, many thanks. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm attempting to, with the caveats that a) I may not always remember; b) I'm sometimes traveling between provinces and won't always do so in a timely fashion; and c) I'll probably post only the pathogen-related ones rather than the allergy-related ones. 

Anyone wanting to be added the CFIA's email notifications system can do so at this link:

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/email-notification/eng/1481653931267/1481654078038

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attention, Floridians:

"Lean Culinary Services, LLC Recalls Ready To Eat Chicken Salad Products due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

Lean Culinary Services, LLC, a Hollywood, Fla. establishment, is recalling approximately 223 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken salad products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The article states that the recalled products were shipped in Florida, only.

The article lists the specific products being recalled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

"Bellisio Foods Recalls Boneless Pork Rib Frozen Entrée Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Bellisio Foods, a Jackson, Ohio establishment, is recalling approximately 173,376 pounds of frozen pork entrée products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of glass or hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today...

14-oz. black cardboard box packages containing “BOSTON MARKET Home Style Meals BONELESS PORK RIB SHAPED PATTY WITH BBQ SAUCE & MASHED POTATOES” with “BEST BY:” dates of 12/07/2019 lot code 8341, 01/04/2020 lot code 9004, 01/24/2020 lot code 9024, or 02/15/2020 lot code 9046, represented on the label.

Emphasis added by me to highlight the product brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

"Green beans, butternut squash recalled for listeria risk in 9 states; Walmart affected"

Bagged green beans and butternut squash shipped to nine states – and retailers including Walmart – are being recalled for the potential risk of listeria contamination...
Most of the Marketside bagged green beans (12-ounce and 32-ounce sizes) and butternut squash cubes (16 ounces) were caught before being shipped. But about 200 cases, with an average of five bags per case, shipped Feb. 17 to one retail distribution center, the company says.
That product may have reached stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. Walmart, on its website, is listing the product as having been sold at some select stores.

See the article for specific bag info/codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

• Like 2

"30,000 Pounds of Ground Beef Products Recalled Amid Contamination Fears"

Washington Beef is recalling the products, after it learned “extraneous materials” could be comingled with the beef, said the Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service over the weekend.

The newly recalled beef was produced on Dec. 27 and has a “use or freeze by” date of Jan. 20, 2019. Officials are worried consumers might have stored some of this beef and it’s currently in their freezers. Consumers are urged to look for packages that have the establishment number “EST. 235”. inside the USDA mark of inspection.

See the article for specific products and codes.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

"Pillsbury Flour Recalled for Possible Salmonella"

Some 12,500 cases of 5-pound bags of Pillsbury Unbleached All Purpose Flour have been recalled because of possible salmonella contamination. This information was posted on the websites of two supermarket chains, Publix and Winn-Dixie, which said that the product was recalled by the parent company of Pillsbury baking products, Hometown Foods Company.

Product specifics (codes, etc) are listed in the article.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver