• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

McCain originated here in New Brunswick, which (like neighbouring Maine) is a major potato producer and therefore a natural home for a french fry manufacturer. You can't get anywhere near the town of Florenceville, where their plant is located, without smelling and craving french fries. :)

We get a lot of McCain-branded product here in Canada, from tater tots to frozen cakes, but as the article says a lot of their profit comes from their role as an anonymous supplier to other food manufacturers and retailers (they supply McDonald's with fries, for example).

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

"Perdue recalls chicken nuggets after people find wood in them"

And, no, they don't mean cellulose...:hmmm:

Perdue Foods is recalling 68,244 pounds of gluten-free chicken nuggets sold nationwide over fears of wood contamination, federal health officials say.

The ready-to-eat chicken nuggets were produced on Oct. 25, 2018, according to the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service.

The nuggets are gluten-free and have an expiration date of Oct. 25, 2019, and UPC Bar Code "72745-80656" on the label. They were shipped to retail locations nationwide.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

42 minutes ago, Toliver said:

What?  Wood chips?  Did they run the chicken through a wood-chipping factory?  How does a chicken facility get wood into its product?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Frozen pork patties sold at Kroger, Walmart and other stores may contain rubber"

A popular sausage brand is recalling more than 48,000 pounds of frozen raw pork patties, sold at Walmart, Kroger and other major grocery chains, due to concerns they may contain rubber....

...Johnsonville LLC said it shipped the recalled product to retail stores in 30 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming. 

Specifics of the product are mentioned in the article.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

7 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"Frozen pork patties sold at Kroger, Walmart and other stores may contain rubber"

Specifics of the product are mentioned in the article.

One can only wonder how rubber gets into pork patties.  

I'm grateful to you, Toliver, for your constant reporting of these problems.  :wub:  Can't be much fun for you though....

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

One can only wonder how rubber gets into pork patties.  

I'm grateful to you, Toliver, for your constant reporting of these problems.  :wub:  Can't be much fun for you though....

Everyday I read through a lot of online news and sort of automatically set aside food recall articles to post here. No big deal. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

I don't know if the equivalent US agency has an email mailing list, but I get updates from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency all the time. The subject line/header tells you what the recall is about (E. coli, salmonella, listeriosis, allergens, etc).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

I don't know if the equivalent US agency has an email mailing list, but I get updates from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency all the time. The subject line/header tells you what the recall is about (E. coli, salmonella, listeriosis, allergens, etc).

Do you open your email before lunch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In practice, their emails seem to arrive late in the evening for whatever reason.

But no, I don't specifically check before eating. I don't buy a lot of processed foods, or even prepared salads, so it's pretty seldom I have to actually check a product to see if it's been recalled.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service does have an email notification list you can subscribe to here...

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/current-recalls-and-alerts

If you scroll down the page a bit it shows a list of current recalls.

• Like 2

I think it is much more than the number of peanut allergies. Most schools in Ontario below high school level forbid anything that contains peanuts so that if your child is not allergic you still need a source of nut free treats.

Edited by Anna N
Corrected for Misinformation (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, chromedome said:

Would you be willing to post when the problems include raw vegetables, dairy or meat?  Probably most on this forum don't eat prepared foods much.    Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The most recent one I've gotten was for salmonella in some Hello Fresh and Chef's Plate meal kits. Distribution is national, or nearly so...from the Maritimes to Manitoba.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-01-21/eng/1548130312229/1548130314953

I'll try to keep up on it, for the benefit of Canadian regulars here, but be warned in advance that "life stuff" and absentmindedness make me an unreliable correspondent.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'll try to keep up on it, for the benefit of Canadian regulars here, but be warned in advance that "life stuff" and absentmindedness make me an unreliable correspondent.

And here I thought they just made one an ageing human.   I have the exact same diagnosis.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I know General Mills flour had its own flour recall discussion previously but I thought I would post the most recent recall here since it's more of an umbrella discussion:

"General Mills Recalls 5-Pound Bags Of Flour"

A voluntary recall has been issued by General Mills, citing concern of salmonella contamination in the company's Gold Medal brand of flour. 

The recall impacts 5-pound bags of Gold Medal Unbleached All Purpose Flour with a better-if-used-by date of April 20, 2020. No other types of Gold Medal flour are included in the recall.

There are more specific instructions in the article regarding what to look for on the flour's printed material.

There is also a phone number provided in case anyone has further questions for General Mills regarding the recall/product.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Food Recall Warning - Crisp & Delicious brand Chicken Breast Nuggets recalled due to Salmonella

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-01-25/eng/1548461716196/1548461718217

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two to post this morning:

"Spinach Recall 2019: How Can You Get A Refund?"

Whole Foods Markets has recalled a number of prepared food items that contain baby spinach. The announcement from Whole Foods comes after Satur Farms recalled its baby spinach and mesclun products for possible Salmonella contamination....

...The Whole Foods recall includes salads, pizza, sandwiches, and wraps sold at stores in eight states – Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island. A full list of products recalled can be found here.

Further details regarding specific products and codes are in the article.

"Recall: Fruit sold at Aldi stores [and Walmart and Costco] in NC may be contaminated with Listeria"

Jac. Vandenberg, Inc. of Yonkers, New York is recalling 1,727 cartons of fresh peaches, 1,207 cartons of fresh nectarines and 365 cartons of fresh plums because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.

The fruit was distributed to ALDI stores in North Carolina and to dozens of other retailers nationwide, including those in Alabama, California, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia.

...The recall also applies to some Walmart and Costco stores, but none in North Carolina, according to the FDA.

Tim Oliver

"Perdue Recalling 16,011 Pounds Of Ready-To-Eat Chicken Nuggets Due To Undeclared Allergens"

Perdue is recalling approximately 16,011 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken nugget products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens.

The company says the products contain milk, a known allergen, which is not declared on the product label.

See the article for specifics/states involved.

There's a phone number at the end of the article to call for more information.

Tim Oliver

And the recalls never seem to stop coming, which is a good thing, I guess.

From the USDA recall web site:

"Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Chicken Nugget Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Tyson Foods, Inc., a Sedalia, Mo. establishment, is recalling approximately 36,420 pounds of chicken nugget products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically rubber, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The panko chicken nugget items were produced on Nov. 26, 2018. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]

5-lb. plastic packages of “Tyson WHITE MEAT PANKO CHICKEN NUGGETS” with a “BEST IF USED BY” date of “NOV 26 2019,” case code “3308SDL03” and time stamps 23:00 through 01:59 (inclusive).

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

And the recalls never seem to stop coming, which is a good thing, I guess.

From the USDA recall web site:

"Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Chicken Nugget Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Interesting. First time I've noticed a food recall mentioning the specific plant where a product is produced. I don't buy enough chicken nuggets to have noticed whether the plant of origin is listed on the bag or not.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This is NOT a food recall but is a warning issued by Consumer Reports on heavy metals found in popular juice drinks (bottles/boxes/pouches) in the US:

"Arsenic and Lead Are in Your Fruit Juice: What You Need to Know"

CR tested 45 popular fruit juices sold across the country—including apple, grape, pear, and fruit blends—and found elevated levels of those elements, commonly known as heavy metals, in almost half of them, including juices marketed for children. “In some cases, drinking just 4 ounces a day—or half a cup—is enough to raise concern,” says James Dickerson, Ph.D., CR’s chief scientific officer.

This is eye opening, to say the least. Some of the tested juices had high enough levels to be considered harmful to adults.

There's a panel of pictures at the bottom of the article showing the familiar products tested from familiar stores/brands.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

22 hours ago, kayb said:

Interesting. First time I've noticed a food recall mentioning the specific plant where a product is produced. I don't buy enough chicken nuggets to have noticed whether the plant of origin is listed on the bag or not.

I think the site will mention the code and that tells you if it affects what you have. Several years ago there was a tuna recall and that made me aware of the code. I  got a refund via coupons I think