• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

There are a few topics from the past dealing with gifts in connection with various festivals and holidays. but sometimes gifts arrive for no particular reason other than someone being kind. It happened to me today.

I was sitting at home minding my own business when I received a call from a courier company to say they were outside my apartment building with my package. I knew of no such package, but didn't think I'd upset anyone enough recently to expect dangerous deliveries, so I went downstairs and relieved the driver of his burden..

Back upstairs I found I was the happy possessor of a bunch of sausages and bacon made by a friend, her mother and husband. They live in a small town on the Guangxi-Yunnan border. I'm told that they were smoked over bagasse, the dry remains of sugar cane after the juice is extracted. Round here is the world's largest sugarcane producing area.

58a9669c0acf3_sausageandbacon.thumb.jpg.1cd8423459c4d10c61e6c8e08ecc8e8e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

but didn't think I'd upset anyone enough recently to expect dangerous deliveries

Damn, I paid top money for priority shipping and it's still on the way?

Back upstairs I found I was the happy possessor of a bunch of sausages and bacon made by a friend

Surprises like this are one of the reasons why it's worth living, I'm happy you have such friends.

Round here is the world\s largest sugarcane producing area.

This is another surprise, since China is not that famous for pastry or rum. Sugar production for export?

Teo

Teo

Yup, I remembered that thread, that's one of the reasons why I was asking. I was surprised to read "world's largest sugarcane producing area", since people in Europe and America (whole continent) consume much much more refined sugar than Chinese people. I would have guessed China was importing sugar after the globalization, not exporting it. Another thing to learn.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

12 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Yup, I remembered that thread, that's one of the reasons why I was asking. I was surprised to read "world's largest sugarcane producing area", since people in Europe and America (whole continent) consume much much more refined sugar than Chinese people. I would have guessed China was importing sugar after the globalization, not exporting it. Another thing to learn.

I did mean to write "one of the world's largest" as I think I did on the original thread,

The European Union is the world's largest importer of sugar. China is the third largest consumer, most of it home produced.

anyway, a bit off topic, don't you think?

• 8 months later...

Once again, a surprise. I was sitting at home (again) watching a movie, when someone knocked on my door. I opened it to find a man standing there with a 10kg bag of locally grown rice and 5 litres of peanut oil from the north of China, thousands of miles away.

ricenoil.thumb.jpg.f378ab082c5445ed20fffb1cdabaa1d6.jpg

He explained that he was from the local university where I do very occasional stints as a guest lecturer and that they were giving all their staff rice and oil, and had decided to include me in the deal. Rice and oil has a kind of symbolic meaning, being the two basic staples of life here in southern China and hence representing life itself.

Thank you very much.

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@liuzhou on the bag of rice there is what looks like a European building.  Am I seeing things?

It certainly looks European. Here is a closer look.

building.thumb.jpg.75101913b128c1f6496e1f94299d626d.jpg

China's packaging and advertising is not known for its veracity. I've seen pictures of all sorts of very non-Chinese stuff on packaging for very Chinese foods.

That said, however, there are many European looking buildings in China. Qingdao, home of Tsingtao beer, for example, looks German (mainly because it was built by Germans) and there are replicas of most of the world's landmark buildings all over the place -Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Leaning tower of Pisa, etc.

As it happens, I have one friend from the town where that rice is produced. I will see her on Monday and will ask her if that building is really there or not.

Incidentally, the town in question was the scene of one of the worst atrocities of the cultural revolution.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have also posted this on the Fruit Topic.

Another unexpected gift. For no apparent reason someone I only slightly know decided to bring me a mango. Not any old mango, but this monster. I have pictured it beside a regular sized chicken's egg and beside three regular mangoes to give you an idea of scale.

mg2.thumb.jpg.15afc6483157074c255b292b6ae2be47.jpg

mg3.thumb.jpg.1d2079a11a1f49e194257f7a1afeceff.jpg

This titan of the mango tribe comes in at just over 2 lbs or just a tickle short of a kilogram. It isn't ripe yet, so I'll get back to you on its taste.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Another unexpected gift. For no apparent reason someone I only slightly know decided to bring me a mango. Not any old mango, but this monster. I have pictured it beside a regular sized chicken's egg and beside three regular mangoes to give you an idea of scale.

mg2.thumb.jpg.15afc6483157074c255b292b6ae2be47.jpg

It looks like a piece of art glass!  All the mangoes in my market are either plain yellow or a standard red-green combo color scheme.  I have never seen such a showy one. ❤️

• Like 3

It's looks like some of the chocolates on one of the other thread of the cosmos. What color will it be when ripe? 

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

1 hour ago, caroled said:

It's looks like some of the chocolates on one of the other thread of the cosmos. What color will it be when ripe? 

It won't change color any more. It is very nearly ready to eat. Could just use another day to soften.

• 6 months later...

A friend just dropped by with these, after returning from a Chinese New Year/Spring Festival trip to Thailand.

She knows I like Thai food a lot (as does she), but find it difficult to get some of the herbs and spices.

thai1.thumb.jpg.ada8cdfffac8a9864a145bfd2bf7e695.jpg

thai2.thumb.jpg.317cdc5f54a76389a3762e3f4c9a4ea3.jpg

thai3.thumb.jpg.682ed1f19b7a5109e88ed24fef94bda3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

@liuzhou

Can you talk about saffron versus saffran?  Is the latter powdered? 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

Can you talk about saffron versus saffran?  Is the latter powdered? 

Yes. I have no idea where the terminology comes from, other than Saffran being Swedish for saffron.

• Thanks 1

@Anna N

Thinking about your question further, I'm wondering if the SAFFRAN might actually be safflower (also known as bastard saffron). It was, in the past, known as saffranon. Maybe someone in Thailand is still using an 18th century Thai-English dictionary! *

Taste will tell.

*There is no such thing.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being someone who is almost equally enamoured of food and language I did find your comment about the 18th century dictionary amusing.  

It does seem a shame to powder saffron if it’s the real McCoy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 6 months later...

Well, blanching and freezing buys you a lot of time to think about it. :)

For something quick and easy, they make a nice soup. Pull the strings, simmer them in chicken or vegetable broth, then buzz them with a blender. I'll sometimes add a bit of green onion or sorrel to mine, but that's basically it. No recipe as such, just "that looks like enough."

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. Who hung the invisible 'This Girl can't say no to huge amounts of things she can't use' sign around my neck? 

Pulled up at the drive through car wash in the big smoke today, a man approached my window as I went to tap and go. I lowered it a gap, expecting to be told it was out of order, and he said 'Do you like Mandarins?' 

Now what?!?

20190928_183805.thumb.jpg.f6f7347b4e8fb235031ae0358ea22141.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Okay. Who hung the invisible 'This Girl can't say no to huge amounts of things she can't use' sign around my neck? 

Pulled up at the drive through car wash in the big smoke today, a man approached my window as I went to tap and go. I lowered it a gap, expecting to be told it was out of order, and he said 'Do you like Mandarins?' 

Now what?!?

20190928_183805.thumb.jpg.f6f7347b4e8fb235031ae0358ea22141.jpg

It's tough to have too many of those!

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown