• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Gifts for Appreciation

heidih

Do you? Sometimes tipping is not the right thing. I've taken to food as a show of appreciation for workers or friends. I used to do the Christmas thing but Covid disrupted that. I recently did cookies for the guards and firemen. Tomorrow I am doing cookies again for the trash guy who volunteered to take away a ridiculous mess of stuff. He would not have accepted cash. Cookies also for my mail place who treats me like family - prints and scans stuff and refuses to let me pay. .  

Do you have food gifting traditions that make that thank you connection?

I tend to tip in cash during the holidays. While I could absolutely give the people I tip (mail person, garbage people, landscapers etc) with a homemade lasagna, I am unaware of their allergies and preferences and you can’t go wrong with cash.  

Tend to use ice cream as a special tip for help.  Or chocolate-coated, almond-topped toffee also.  So many younger folks don't seem to cook that homemade items are always welcomed.  But as noted by Heidi, covid19 has disrupted much of normal life.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates