• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Ontario and Quebec, Oreinos Mylopotamos brand of dry mizythra, recalled for potential listeriosis risk.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-02/eng/1554256405689/1554256408446

Had to Google that one. 

Interesting (if I can use the word) foodborne illness in that it can take up to 70 days to appear.  By that time one would have no idea what caused the illness. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Conagra Brands Announces Recall of a Limited Amount of Hunt’s Tomato Paste Cans Due to Potential Presence of Mold"

Conagra Brands, Inc. (NYSE: CAG) is voluntarily recalling a limited amount of Hunt’s Tomato Paste No Salt Added six ounce cans. After the canning process, the final product could have been damaged, creating the potential for mold.Conagra Brands became aware of the issue after receiving calls from consumers.

Having read other articles concerning this same recall, it is a multi-state recall.

See the recall listing for the specifics of products codes.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"Ground beef sold at Meijer stores recalled because it may contain pieces of plastic"

A multistate, voluntary recall has been issued for prepacked, 1-pound Meijer ground beef that may contain hard pieces of plastic.

The recall, announced Tuesday, includes all products produced and prepackaged by JBS Plainwell under the Meijer brand label with a sell-by date of April 10, 2019, the grocery store chain and JBS said in a joint statement.

The ground beef was sold between March 22 and April 9 in all Meijer stores in Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Wisconsin.

The emphasis of the states is mine. The article lists specific product codes.

Tim Oliver

Salmonella in Feeding Change brand young Thai coconut meat. BC and Ontario for sure, possibly national.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-14/eng/1555293947707/1555293949168

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"Pre-cut melon linked to US salmonella outbreak recalled in Tennessee and Kentucky"

Nearly 100 people have gotten sick in a salmonella outbreak involving cut melon. 

An Indianapolis-based company has issued a recall for melon products sold in 16 states after being linked to the salmonella outbreak.

The bold is my emphasis. See the article for the listing of the 16 states impacted.

And this is a link to the FDA's online article about the recall (click).

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

First time ever a recall has touched our family.  Thanks chromedome.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hello all,  We checked the numbers on our package of Kirkland veggie burgers and although the UPC number is a match...the code on product is not at all.  So, I am assuming ours are completely fine.  

One always wonders how metal and rubber and plastic bits, etc, etc, etc, get into the mix.  Thanks again chromedome.  I am actually getting these Canadian recall warnings also but I do appreciate the trouble that you, and Toliver, go to on our behalf.  (Also I am still not actually 'online' until after I get hand surgery...if I do before the next millenium...)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, chromedome said:

Updated. Now includes Saskatchewan, and possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-24/eng/1556134617625/1556134619557

• Like 1

This has been ongoing and the cases of salmonella poisoning have been increasing.

"K2D Foods Recalls Raw Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O103 Contamination"

K2D Foods, doing business as (DBA) Colorado Premium Foods, a Carrolton, Ga. establishment, is recalling approximately 113,424 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O103, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The raw ground beef items were produced on March 26, March 29, April 2, April 5, April 10, and April 12, 2019.  The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]

Two 24-lb. vacuum-packed packages in cardboard boxes containing raw “GROUND BEEF PUCK” with “Use Thru” dates of 4/14/19, 4/17/19, 4/20/19, 4/23/19, 4/28/19, and 4/30/19.  

And possibly related:

"Grant Park Packing Recalls Raw Ground Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O103 Contamination"

Grant Park Packing, a Franklin Park, Ill. establishment, is recalling approximately 53,200 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O103, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. 

The bulk raw ground beef was produced on October 30-31, 2018 and November 1, 2018.  The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]

40-lb. bulk cardboard boxes of “North Star Imports & Sales, LLC. 100% GROUND BEEF BULK 80% LEAN/ 20% FAT” marked “FOR INSTITUTIONAL USE ONLY” with lot code GP.1051.18 and pack dates 10/30/2018, 10/31/2018, and 11/01/2018.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anyone's bought cheese in Quebec recently, Le Pic brand's Saint-Felicien cheese is being recalled for potential E.coli contamination.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-29/eng/1556588698919/1556588701350

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 7:04 AM, chromedome said:

Salmonella in Feeding Change brand young Thai coconut meat. BC and Ontario for sure, possibly national.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-14/eng/1555293947707/1555293949168

That one's been broadened since my original post.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-03/eng/1556930092557/1556930092812

• Like 2

This one's been in the news already, but it may affect some of us here. Glass fragments in some PC brand and Black Label sauces from the Loblaw's stores.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-03/eng/1556928121801/1556928124049

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

This one's been in the news already, but it may affect some of us here. Glass fragments in some PC brand and Black Label sauces from the Loblaw's stores.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-03/eng/1556928121801/1556928124049

Would appear to be a good idea not to eat commercially prepared foods.  Ya think?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, as a general principle that's hard to argue against. :)

Realistically, the number of recalls relative to the volume of manufactured food is pretty low. I don't eat a lot of processed foods in the normal run of things*, but the odds aren't bad when I do.

(*That being said, a lot of my sweetie's favorite comfort foods include canned cream of mushroom soup and suchlike, so I eat 'em more than I used to...but still not much)

(*That being said, a lot of my sweetie's favorite comfort foods include canned cream of mushroom soup and suchlike, so I eat 'em more than I used to...but still not much)

Your sweetie would not fare all that well in our house.  My memories of my Mother's cooking, besides the daily shoe-leather steak, were a lot of sauces from soups: cream of mushroom, celery and chicken.   My mouth forms that horrible shape of extreme rejection even when I think of them.  You are a brave and generous gentleman.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 4/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, chromedome said:

This one's been updated to broaden the scope of the recall. It's now "possibly national."

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-04/eng/1557028707615/1557028708635

• Like 2

For our friends in Ontario: Dom Reserve brand hot-smoked salmon, potential listeria.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-05/eng/1557104244672/1557104247484

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For our friends in Ontario: Dom Reserve brand hot-smoked salmon, potential listeria.

http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-05-05/eng/1557104244672/1557104247484

Hi CD.  I do now get the Canadian downloads but always read your posts also.  Consider this my last thank you to you for a while. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Chicken Strip Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

EDITOR’S NOTE: This release is being reissued as an expansion of the March 21, 2019 recall, which consisted of 69,093 pounds of frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strip products. The scope of this recall expansion now includes more information and an additional 11,760,424 pounds of product.

Tyson Foods, Inc., a Rogers, Ark. establishment, is recalling approximately 11,829,517 pounds of frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strip products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of metal, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

That's a heckuva lot chicken strips.

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Darienne said:

Hi CD.  I do now get the Canadian downloads but always read your posts also.  Consider this my last thank you to you for a while. 

NP. I know you read them, I know you have problems typing. I won't at all be slighted if they get no response. :)

• Like 3