Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best Manhattan variations?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#91 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Whatever the variation, how cold do you folks like it?  With or without ice bits floating in it?  Shaken or stirred?

As cold as i can get it through stirring, into a frozen glass.  No floating ice;  There shouldn't be any if you've stirred.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#92 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

My cocktail last night was Erik Adkins' Fort Point with Bulleit rye, Cocchi Barolo Chinato, and R&W apricot liqueur. The chinato and apricot liqueur created a very pleasant apple flavor in the cocktail.

14109803105_caf7b994af_z.jpg

#93 Tzatziki

Tzatziki
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

My favorite is a cocktail I tried at Bourbon and Branch a year or so ago, that they call the "Agent Smith". There are a lot of flavors happening, and I haven't been back to SF in a while, so I have a hard time judging the correct proportions. I still mess around with them (and suggested modifications would be awesome!), but right now I lean towards:

- 2 oz rye

- 1/2 oz punt e mes

- 1/2 oz green chartreuse

- 1/4 oz maraschino

- 3 dashes chocolate bitters

• FrogPrincesse likes this

#94 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

My favorite is a cocktail I tried at Bourbon and Branch a year or so ago, that they call the "Agent Smith".

Tzatziki, is there a garnish on this?  I first tried it with a full oz. of Punt e Mes, but I'll try your original ratios next.  This is a nice one!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#95 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

For my first manhattan I went with a simple straightforward recipe:

2 oz Rittenhouse

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 dash Angostura

Stirred.  The first stirred drink I can say I have really enjoyed.  No garnish.  Where, by the way, does one find real maraschino cherries?

I tried my manhattan with and without Angostura and found I liked the Angostura version better.  If truth be told I forgot to add the Angostura the first time arround.  Maybe I should stick to less complicated drinks till I've warmed up a bit.

#96 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

Try orange bitters and a twist.

Do you have a WF near you? The one I shop at stocks the cherries.

Or here, perhaps.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#97 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thanks.  I see amazon has the cherries.  Why am I not surprised.

#98 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Rittenhouse/Carpano/Ango - what perfect place to start. The only problem is how many combinations out there will pale in comparison. 

When it comes to garnish, I almost always skip the cherry and go for a twist. 

I find an orange peel has the ability to make the drink seem sweeter, and a lemon peel seems to dry a drink out. 

Especially with Carpano, I find the lemon peel is the perfect balance. 

#99 Tzatziki

Tzatziki
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

Tzatziki, is there a garnish on this?  I first tried it with a full oz. of Punt e Mes, but I'll try your original ratios next.  This is a nice one!

If memory recalls, there was a slice of orange peel floated in the drink (which was served up), but I could be mistaken - it's been a couple years.

#100 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

Thanks.  I see amazon has the cherries.  Why am I not surprised.

That's a big 'un. If I had 4 cocktail-luvin' friends near me, I'd buy one and split it, which would be rather economical. They have a hard candied outer skin/shell and are bursting with concentrated fruit flavor. I liked the ones I made, but I love these.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#101 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

That's a big 'un. If I had 4 cocktail-luvin' friends near me, I'd buy one and split it, which would be rather economical. They have a hard candied outer skin/shell and are bursting with concentrated fruit flavor. I liked the ones I made, but I love these.

When we all first got together, donbert, johnder and I split a can of these.  My portion lasted me about 2 years.  Now, I buy the smaller jars.

Had a nice Manhattan the other night (out).  The place I was at had Wild Turkey 101 rye.  Pretty good stuff.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#102 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

huiray, on 11 Mar 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Whatever the variation, how cold do you folks like it?  With or without ice bits floating in it?  Shaken or stirred?

As cold as i can get it through stirring, into a frozen glass.  No floating ice;  There shouldn't be any if you've stirred.

I never did respond.  Thanks for your answer.  I myself also don't like ice bits floating in it, and for myself it should be stirred, NOT SHAKEN.  When I have gotten shaken ones they have almost always had teeny micro-bits of ice (sometimes quite a lot) in it, let alone the opaque Slushy-Drink look it will have.  They invariably get sent back.

#103 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

huiray, on 11 Mar 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:snapback.png

When I have gotten shaken ones they have almost always had teeny micro-bits of ice (sometimes quite a lot) in it, let alone the opaque Slushy-Drink look it will have.  They invariably get sent back.

There should be a hotline to report this sort of thing  :angry: 

• Rafa likes this

#104 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

You learn to develop a tolerance for that sort of thing ... and you make sure to get something else next time (like beer or wine!).

#105 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

I tried:

2 oz Whistlepig

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 teaspoon FP Dry Curacao

1 dash Angostura

Still no garnish.  I like this better than my previous manhattan which was:

2 oz Rittenhouse

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 dash Angostura

If using curacao as an ingredient would one still consider using orange bitters?

#106 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Rhythm and Soul (Greg Best). A Manhattan leaning in the direction of a Sazerac, described as having "the rhythm of a Manhattan and the soul of a Sazerac". Rye (Bulleit), Averna, sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), Angostura bitters, absinthe verte (St. George), lemon peel, served Sazerac-style.

14047844960_21229a4034_z.jpg

#107 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Rhythm and Soul (Greg Best). A Manhattan leaning in the direction of a Sazerac, described as having "the rhythm of a Manhattan and the soul of a Sazerac". Rye (Bulleit), Averna, sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), Angostura bitters, absinthe verte (St. George), lemon peel, served Sazerac-style.

I may have to try this over the weekend.  I've got a little bit of Meletti left which I'll use in lieu of the Averna.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#108 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

14047844960_21229a4034_z.jpg

Hmm, have always liked Greg Best's concotions (supposedly he is opening up a new place in town soon). Tend to like the rye in my Sazerac to be a bit more on the lower rye and higher corn side like Baby Saz or Rittenhouse. I wonder how this would work with one of those compared to Bulleit. I guess it is a good thing it is a long weekend!

Edited by tanstaafl2, 22 May 2014 - 02:45 PM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#109 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

In the mood for a Manhattan like something, I landed on the Antiguan Plaza (Link). It was originally listed in my notes as the Cuarto Trimestre, so I had a bit of trouble re-finding it.

Antiguan Plaza

0.75 Oz Banks 7 Rum ( I used Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Buffalo Trace (Wild Turkey 101)

0.75 Casa Mariol Vermut Negre (Punt e Mes)

0.25 Oz Benedictine

1 ds Orange Bitters

1 ds Angostura Bitters

Stir, strain, rocks, orange twist.

A very tasty, rich Manhattan alternative. Really hit the spot

#110 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just a simple one last night: 2 ounces Canadian whisky (Pike Creek), half an ounce Punt e Mes, and a good couple (three) dashes of Élixir végétal de la Grande Chartreuse. Man, that stuff takes over a drink fast. I think it could have handled a dash less Elixir and a quarter-ounce more Punt e Mes, but it was still plenty tasty.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#111 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Historic Core by John Coltharp. This cocktail was created as part of a competition that was included cocktails named for the subdistricts in Downtown Los Angeles.

1 oz bonded rye (Rittenhouse), 3/4 oz apple brandy (Daron XO), 3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), 1/4 oz green Chartreuse, dash Angostura bitters, lemon twist.

A very harmonious Manhattan variation.

14341596395_24eefec178_z.jpg

#112 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

Your supply of Rittenhouse appears to be getting dangerously low!

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#113 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Good eye. There was exactly 1 oz left in that bottle, and now it's all gone...

#114 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Can it be called a Manhattan variation if it contains some shrub?

I just made a shrub! My appetite for stone fruit is once again (happens every year this time) greater than my ability to eat it, so I took a combo of peach and plums that were very ripe and juicy and made my first shrub. I haven't tasted it yet, as it is mellowing in the fridge, but I don't see how it can not be yummy. But what do I do with it?

We love a standard rye Manhattan, so what can we do to add some shrub and come up with a good drink? We have a variety of vermouths, Cocchi di Torino, Bonal, Fernet Jelinek and Amaro CioCiaro. We also have a few very basic bitters: peychaud, angostura, Regan's orange. Also I kinda need a name for my hybrid fruit shrub: It is one peach, one black plum and one Santa Rosa plum. Peplum? Peachum? Plump? Make me a Plump Manhattan, please!

#115 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I've never had this Manhattan variation myself before...wonder what it tastes like.

http://safr.kingfeat...zAzXzM4NS5naWY=

#116 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

I've never had this Manhattan variation myself before...wonder what it tastes like.

http://safr.kingfeat...zAzXzM4NS5naWY=

That's great.  How about Suntory Whisky with Sake; call it a Tokyo.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#117 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Last night I went with a Manhattan/Brooklyn variation by Erik Ellestad, The Dix-Huitième, aka Eighteenth Cocktail

Rye (Bulleit), white vermouth (Dolin), Gran Classico bitter, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo).

A tad on the sweet side as Erik noted, balanced by a nice level of spice and some intriguing flavors from the Gran Classico.

14543048710_de815d973c_z.jpg