Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#331 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Speaking of heat and crushed ice, it was summer in San Diego this weekend, so I decided to make a Queen's Park Swizzle. I used J.M rhum agricole (it's the 40%) which works great in a daiquiri but got lost a little in the swizzle. I want to try it with an aged agricole next.

13208390794_c9b419f61f_z.jpg

Bloody weather. 70º two days ago and 8 inches of snow on the ground today. That 70º had me hankering for a Mai Tai, Test Pilot, or some swizzle, but it didn't happen, and now all I want is hot chocolate!

I see you used a mix of bitters, too, how did that work out?

Edited by Hassouni, 17 March 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#332 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Inspirted by Campus Five's Fern et / Campari mix, I tried equal parts Campari, Aperol, Apricot liqueur, and Malacca  plus 1/4 tsp citric acid per 4 oz.

The Apricot was a mistake. I thought I had Giffard Pamplemousse in hand (which might have been less complex but better).

It was promising enough to invite further exploration. I'd like to try something high in alcohol and very flavorful in lieu of the gin which gets lost. Fernet obviously works, but I'm looking for something without the menthol. Maybe Sibilia or Nonino.

I might up the citric acid too, but there is a fine line beyond which it tastes like your kid's sour candy.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#333 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I went looking through Kindred Cocktails looking for something Irish-Whiskey based to make tonight.

Ended up with a Wilde Heart (Brandon Josie, 15 Romolo, San Francisco, CA)

http://www.kindredco...ail/wilde-heart

1.5 Irish (calls for Black Bush)

.75 Cio Ciaro

.25 Cherry Heering

stir, strain, up, orange peel. 

I was using Redbreast, and even then, it was way too sweet. 

I ended up adding .25 oz of some George T. Stagg to up the proof. 

Next time, I'll definitely up it to 2 oz Redbreast, and even then, I don't know if the whiskey can stand up. 

#334 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

I am a failure.  It's been a very stressful day, culinarily speaking.  But as of tonight my Appleton is now restocked and I set out to make the following mai tai:

1 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico

1 oz S&C

3/4 oz Grand Marnier

1 1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

However, by mistake I measured out 1 oz orgeat.  "Fine," I thought, I'll save half of the orgeat for another mai tai.  But after the drink was built, I saw that the measure was empty and I couldn't find the orgeat anywhere.  Needless to say what happened.  The mai tai was far too sweet, like something from a tiki bar.  I could hardly taste the spirits.

After I drank the level down by half I shook up and added some lime juice, an ounce of Pusser's and an ounce of W&N, with a quarter ounce of Cointreau.  The result was still too sweet so I topped the tumbler with a generous float of Lemon Hart.

I can't say it's good, but it's not half bad, and I've managed to use six rums in one mai tai while waiting for my sous vide to finish.  Not that I'm hungry as I've been filling up on peanuts.

#335 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Inspired by this, I stirred an ounce each of El Dorado 15 and Redbreast 12 (two simpatico spirits) with a couple of dashes of Bittermens Xocolatl bitters. Lovely.

I just made this with Bushmills in place of the Redbreast. I figured Bushmills might be a little closer than the almost syrupy Jamie 18. I don't doubt it's a different beast to what you made but it's lovely all the same.

• Rafa likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#336 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

I see you used a mix of bitters, too, how did that work out?

The mix of bitters is good in this drink, especially with a dark rum like a Demerara or Appleton. You cannot really taste the Peychaud's by itself, but it gives another layer of spices to the drink.

#337 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I went looking through Kindred Cocktails looking for something Irish-Whiskey based to make tonight.

Ended up with a Wilde Heart (Brandon Josie, 15 Romolo, San Francisco, CA)

http://www.kindredco...ail/wilde-heart

1.5 Irish (calls for Black Bush)

.75 Cio Ciaro

.25 Cherry Heering

stir, strain, up, orange peel. 

I was using Redbreast, and even then, it was way too sweet. 

I ended up adding .25 oz of some George T. Stagg to up the proof. 

Next time, I'll definitely up it to 2 oz Redbreast, and even then, I don't know if the whiskey can stand up. 

A favorite post prandial cocktail for me and I like it with the sweet Black Bush. Then again I rarely find anything to be too sweet for my sweet tooth!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#338 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Nightcap from a few nights ago. Bourbon ice cream (I think I can do much better than this commercial ice cream; the bourbon flavor is very very light) with St. George Breaking & Entering bourbon on the side.

I love this bourbon; it's not too sweet and has a ton of personality.

13182866243_3dae5b4775_z.jpg

#339 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Work till midnight or so.....

So, to celebrate being done for the night, and scoring a below-face value ticket for Cut Copy tomorrow night:

Mai Tai

(2 oz Scarlet Ibis, 1 oz lime, half or so homemade orgeat, ditto Senior Curaçao, quarter or so rich damn simple syrup)

Gone in record time. Used up all my ice.

So, with remaining crushed ice in glass (quite a lot since I gulped that damn mai tai down), my signature Lion's Tail Swizzle, which is a normal Lion's Tail, but swizzled, obviously. In unusually strong proportions (a whole large lime, an ounce or so of my homemade pimento dram, a very generous glug of Bulleit bourbon, and a Herculean quantity of Angostura bitters. Oh, and per my notes a "tiny squirt of SS," because my pimento dram is spicy, funky, and dry)

I think this one will take longer to finish...

ETA - the Bulleit REALLY stands out in this LT swizzle. My default bourbon is WT101, and that blends in better. 

Edited by Hassouni, 19 March 2014 - 09:26 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#340 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

I just finished important work I had to do.  The last three nights I botched my drinks in one way or another, so I made my standard mai tai of two ounces of Pusser's and one of W&N.  I could not face another failed drink, and this way I knew there should be no surprise.

I was rewarded.  So I made another.  Now, alas, I, too, am out of ice.

What's the recipe for your Lion's Tail??  No rush, once you sober up.

#341 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

usual is

2 bourbon 

.5 lime

.5 pimento dram

1 dash Angostura

"tiny squirt SS" (given my ultra dry pimento dram)

Shaken, served up

#342 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

If only I had ice...

Oh, and I suppose one could substitute rye for bourbon?

#343 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

You could.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#344 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

Thanks!  I will in the morning...I mean tomorrow night.

#345 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

A Manhattan. Punt e Mes/High West Double Rye/homemade Boer bitters. Turns out allspice gets along with all of that. Lekker. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#346 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

A long, cold draught of Gerolsteiner, served in a crystal Collins glass.  No garnish.  Beautiful refraction of the light, and refreshing just to listen to.

#347 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

usual is

2 bourbon 

.5 lime

.5 pimento dram

1 dash Angostura

"tiny squirt SS" (given my ultra dry pimento dram)

Shaken, served up

Thanks!  I would make this again.  My lime was closer to three quarters, and I think next time I would go with the small touch of syrup.  The flavor profile almost demands to be a little sweeter:  basically marshmallow and pumpkin pie.

Speaking of limes, at the store today the limes were a dollar each.  I had no choice, but I almost wept.

#348 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

If my lime (or half) is over what I need, I just drink the surplus. Yeah, I like lemon and lime juice neat.

My current batch of pimento dram is seriously seriously dry, to the point of being almost bitter. Commercial stuff is sweeter and it doesn't need the extra bit of syrup.

#349 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

For those who have run out of ice, in order to avoid this direful fate I find it a good discipline to empty out the ice-cube trays into a Tupperware and refill the trays every time the ice in the Tupperware runs out. Of course you have to sacrifice some extra space in your freezer, but I've never regretted that call.

#350 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

For those who have run out of ice, in order to avoid this direful fate I find it a good discipline to empty out the ice-cube trays into a Tupperware and refill the trays every time the ice in the Tupperware runs out. Of course you have to sacrifice some extra space in your freezer, but I've never regretted that call.

Not Tupperware in my case but otherwise that is exactly what I do.  I empty and refill the ice trays daily.

#351 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Since I had a pasturized egg yolk that needed immediate attention,  my after dinner libation is a Bosom Caresser:

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

3/4 oz Cointreau

1/4 oz raspberry syrup

1 egg yolk

I just love to say it over and over.

#352 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Sadly I haven't any ice because of other demands on my freezer right now  :hmmm:

#353 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Sadly I haven't any ice because of other demands on my freezer right now  :hmmm:

Bernet Frankenstein

You will thank me or curse me. No other options.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#354 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I despise fernet. I don't have any at hand,  obviously, so neither thankings nor cursings bestowed! Although perhaps a thank you for thought, after all that's what counts  :smile:

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#355 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

I've got two suggestions for you - Hotel Room Temperature and Heart of Glass. Both from beta cocktails and both completely ice- and Fernet-free.

#356 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Bernet Frankenstein

Well, I don't have an ice problem, but this post did remind me that this has been on my list ever since I acquired Punt e Mes. 

Wow, how to describe this. It smells like a leather bound book soaked in gasoline. It is important to note that this is not a bad thing for me. It tastes - beautifully medicinal. Not like modern medicine, no, this was devised to knock out a truly demonic prehistoric plague. The menthol from the Fernet is very strong, but there is so much else going on. I get cherry for some reason, and an odd sourness. I love the complexity here. It may not be something I have often, but when I am in the a contemplative mood and want to be smacked in the tongue with flavor, this would be one to go for.

• Rafa likes this

#357 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Wow, how to describe this. [ blah, blah, l loved it but it almost killed me, blah blah]

Thanks. May I quote you?

• Czequershuus likes this

#358 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Ward Eight, surprisingly enough:

3 oz Taylor rye

3 oz valencia orange/lemon juice

1/4 oz grenadine

No complaints here, the rye spice still shines through!

#359 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Bernet Frankenstein

I tried it last night, because how could one not?

What was remarkable about it is how the Laphroaig and PeM between them sent the Fernet to cower in the corner.  I could barely taste it!

Think I'd prefer it with ice, really ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#360 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

I made a batch of this Hibiscus Milk Punch, which Erik credits to the fine people of Drink in Boston. I mixed up the base a bit...a little more than half was Caña Brava rum, with the rest split between a couple of nearly empty bottles of pisco (Mosto Verde de Quebranta and Moscatel from Estirpe Peruana), with a splash of Wray & Nephew Overproof added to the mix. The finished result is pretty stellar. The lime, in particular, presents a really fun character after the milk clarification...like that jello and sweetened condensed milk creation that your wacky aunt would bring to Thanksgiving, but in a good way. It certainly doesn't hurt that the final product is a gorgeous pink color with an amazing floral aroma.

ETA Photo:

On the right, punch over ice with grated nutmeg & cinnamon. On the left, 1:1 with coconut water. Both delicious.

20140323_123250.jpg

Edited by KD1191, 23 March 2014 - 09:37 AM.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour