Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#271 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Today, 06:32 AM

On sale Now :

http://www.surlatabl...Convection Oven

179.  if you are a first time buy-er at S la T

and give them your email  ( not gmail ! )  they send you a 10 % off one time coupon.

decent deal   might have free shipping.

+ Tax you state/provence.

• FauxPas likes this

#272 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 241 posts

Posted Today, 09:41 AM

Had a quick look at your Thermador link and saw a great idea-skinning tomatoes by steaming them at 210F for a couple of minutes. Sounds like an easy way to accomplish this task.

It does work well, but I seem to recall needing more than 2 or 3 minutes to loosen the skin. Probably at least 5. 

#273 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 241 posts

Posted Today, 09:56 AM

179.  if you are a first time buy-er at S la T

That's an excellent price! And the site says free shipping for orders over $59. Though you might not be able to combine that with the 1st time discount. I don't think they ship to Canada, though. 

I'm tempted to buy a second one at that price and keep one in both houses. 

#274 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,296 posts

Posted Today, 12:16 PM

i was able to combine the sale price at the time w the extra 10 % off at the tme

but things change

one think about their sales, they dont tell you how long they are for.

Edited by rotuts, Today, 12:18 PM.

#275 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 241 posts

Posted Today, 04:51 PM

It does work well, but I seem to recall needing more than 2 or 3 minutes to loosen the skin. Probably at least 5. 

Just tried this, as I wanted some peeled tomatoes. Five minutes with 210F Steam-only did not loosen the skins much on the tomatoes I have. So I put them on Steam-Bake at 350F. And then I got distracted with a phone call and it was 15 mins before I checked them, at which point I had to let them cool a bit but then the skins slipped right off.

So, you need less than what I did, but almost certainly more than the 2-3 mins that the Thermador people say! But depends on what you want to do with your peeled tomatoes, of course. The cooking time I used today extracted some of the water from the tomatoes but left tomatoes with lovely concentrated flavour. I've done the same thing before when I wanted tomatoes to peel and use for a sauce, but at a slightly higher temp. 

IMGP2851.JPG

ETA Here is the link to a more formal cookbook by Thermador:

http://www.thermador..._9000882530.pdf

Edited by FauxPas, Today, 05:03 PM.