• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

Host's note: this topic is broken into sections to improve server efficiency; the previous section is here: Trader Joe's Products (2015-2017).

IMG_4086.JPG

Picked these up yesterday - not sure what I should use them for - perhaps low carb canapes

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Picked these up yesterday - not sure what I should use them for - perhaps low carb canapes

Somebody here today showed hearts of palm soup which looked very interesting.   You might have to do a search for it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

Somebody here today showed hearts of palm soup which looked very interesting.   You might have to do a search for it.

Here it is!  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 1:46 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4086.JPG

Have you tried these yet?  I saw them yesterday was was surprised that those are shelf-stable pouches.  Although every palm heart I've had has come from a can, when I saw your photo, I wrongly assumed they were a refrigerated or freezer item. Link to TJ's info page.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Have you tried these yet?  I saw them yesterday was was surprised that those are shelf-stable pouches.  Although every palm heart I've had has come from a can, when I saw your photo, I wrongly assumed they were a refrigerated or freezer item. Link to TJ's info page.

Not yet

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

As you might guess, the nugget with the mic is saying "Crispy"; the one on drums, "Crunchy."

On 2/1/2017 at 9:08 PM, Franci said:

IMG_6311.JPGIMG_6313.JPG

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

after getting my Bangers, my WineBuds at Tj's gave me a taste of this :

58cad78e0dddc_THswine.thumb.jpg.29326bafac94c03d51b0ce5a2716493e.jpg

its medium bodied  and seems like a match for some Italian-ish food .  $ 5.99    no chemical ( i.e. benzine ) flavors or oak.

pulled out a TurkeyRagu puck and its back in its mold  for a thaw so it will be this wine and

TurkeyRagu tonight.   as mentioned the TR is best removed from the VacBag while frozen as its a mess to get out of the bag if thawed.

leaned that the hard way.

PS   the bottle I opened above  just now needs some time to breathe .  the one I sampled from TJ's had been opened for

a few hours in their refrig.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

well

I could not stand it any longer ;

I carefully saute'd  2 of the TJ's bangers

tried to get a nice brown light crust all around

Tj's bangers do not taste in any way like the the ones ones Ive ever had

they were bland  ( and that's not ' spice ' )   and very watery   

with no real flavor 

so do not go in this direction  

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well

I could not stand it any longer ;

I carefully saute'd  2 of the TJ's bangers

tried to get a nice brown light crust all around

Tj's bangers do not taste in any way like the the ones ones Ive ever had

they were bland  ( and that's not ' spice ' )   and very watery   

with no real flavor 

so do not go in this direction  

So disappointing. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

they demo'd this the other day :

GSC1.thumb.jpg.efc8a7db79962da5e473e6abbea62eda.jpg

GSC3.thumb.jpg.24286baa629a37d8ba57c955325e49e3.jpg

GSC2.thumb.jpg.02cc5677e67cd7b6455b61d1be49e7f0.jpg

I brought one home.   it was superb ! the chicken was moist and tender !  all the flavorings worked well together and the kalamata olives made the dish.

I plated the contents rather than use the plastic tub , and carefully micro's the chicken in stages.

I did put no more than one drop of white wine I was drinking on each pice of Ck. :

GSC4.thumb.jpg.a5281d7a51419865bb79b56197a972fe.jpg

I don't know if this is a permeant refrigerated item at TJ's or not.

Ill get this again for sure.

• Like 7

Last week, I tried the Wild-Caught Frozen Crab Meat.  It's $7.99 for 8 oz.  Ingredients:  crab.  Nothing else.  Inside the box are two 4 oz packets.  Instructions say to thaw in the fridge for several hours or quick thaw in cool water.  The way they are packaged in little flat packets helps them to thaw quickly.

As a mostly single eater, I liked that I could easily use one packet at a time.  I found the flavor and texture to be quite good.  Much better than any canned crab product I've had and it doesn't have the faintly pickled or preserved taste that I often get with refrigerated crab. 

The flavor is very mild, not as crabby as fresh picked, just out of the shell meat but I didn't pick up any off- or fishy odors or taste.  It tastes like crab, just not quite CRAB!

IMG_4610.thumb.jpg.c2481405072414e2cc748f2cf2f8bd94.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of the thawed packet contents but here is one after I'd mixed it up with the dressing for a recipe I was following.  Not all that appetizing looking but it gives you an idea of the size of the pieces.  

IMG_4612.thumb.jpg.874e708071f393a693e57fa5154b1302.jpg

The finished dish looked more appealing :D

IMG_4615.thumb.jpg.fc4ee762bd1c26abd26d5ac6badc352d.jpg

• Like 10

@rotuts

I am most unlikely to sample the chicken and orzo dish from Trader Joe's but it gives me a great idea for making my own and freezing it so that I would have an instant meal available.  Orzo is my favourite pasta. Thank you for this inspiration. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

the Kalamata bits made this dish by the way.   a drop of House White / trance of CkBr made me feel good , but I doubt it made a difference.

if this dish is ' from time to time " at Tj's and not a standard , this is so good Id consider getting 3 or 4 and vacuum freezing them some how

maybe Ill luck out and its a Tj's standard.

P.S.:

@Anna N  

if you come up with an idea on what the herb coating might be Id like to know.

Ill get another one soon and separate out the chicken and the orzo and try to reverse engineer it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1