• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2024

Kerry Beal

Well - after finally pinning down our location for this year we have settled on a weekend for this year's workshop to be held in Toronto. 

Looking at May 17, 18 and 19 which is the Victoria day long weekend in Canada - so hopefully that won't interfere or put up the cost of hotels. It will mean a lot of traffic driving across the top of the city on their way north to their cottages. 

We will be holding this year's workshop at the Cake Collective  - a rental commercial kitchen owned by two sisters who are friends of @Alleguede's who have agreed to host us. It is close to the Toronto airport (it's actually in Mississauga).

Lots of details to hammer out - but having a date is a start!

This will be the first year I don't have Anna to help keep me organized so it might be a bit more of a dog's breakfast than usual - so you'll have to bear with me. 

Once we get a better idea of costs for the rental, and flesh out the food and supplies we are going to need - we will set a price. Think experience has taught me that a set price will probably make the most sense as I just read back through last years planning thread!

Thoughts on Master's classes for Friday am and afternoon? Shall we teach them ourselves or struggle to find someone (who if experience has taught me anything - will cancel part way through).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RobertM said:

I’m willing to help, however I can!

We've got a couple of the Firemixer 14's - maybe you could teach big batch caramel! 

• Like 1

I'd love to be there!

Master Class?  Would really like detailed analysis of ways to reduce Aw and the properties of various sugars, etc, to do so.  I think it would be fun to see how low we can go and still be palatable and have a fluid filling.  I can bring my Aw meter.       Also, if we are sharing techniques, I have been playing with candying in the instant pot, and happy to teach that.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Eat.Choui said:

I would like to join too! Any chance there will be a panner? I would like to fine-tune polishing with agents and also alternatives to capol.

@VistaGardens I would be very excited to learn candying in the Instant pot!

We can arrange a small panner for sure - I made a bunch a few years back that are quite nice to put on the front of the kitchen aid. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 8:28 AM, Kerry Beal said:

We can arrange a small panner for sure - I made a bunch a few years back that are quite nice to put on the front of the kitchen aid. 

I would love, love, love to learn panning!!  Just got a small panner and have been looking for classes on this...

Me! I’m interested in anything and everything. I was amazed at how much talent was in one room last year. I’m not sure you need to look very far for “masters” to teach. 

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

24 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

Damn, they finally released the graduation date for Maddie’s HS class, and it’s the 17th. Looks like we are out this year.

Damn!

4 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

I’ll check and see if Maddie wants to try to go up for an abbreviated trip, but likely we will be waiting until next year.

Good way to celebrate graduation!