• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

This morning I added chilli to left over spaghetti sauce 

plus an egg to make shashouka

So here I go again attempting to put on a photo. 31527F7A-B586-45FA-B173-460E4C2D3241.jpeg.5c9893b0918323e08b5c2932fb9deda2.jpeg
Seems to be OK. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

The McBEACH (although it's unlikely you'll find one at your local Mickey D's): Blood sausage, Egg, Arugula, Cheddar and Habanero sauce on a toasted WW english muffin. V8, coffee and oranges and cherries on the side.

DSCN1615.thumb.JPG.9b12df02d93987abe41647803895453c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Leftovers for breakfast can be a good thing.  Yesterday's breakfast was the leftovers from the previous day's lunch:

AB78876E-924D-4216-9A8C-31D1486F7A7C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.98d1214ba70e18bf91deeb6bafb3a27d.jpeg

Today's breakfast was a halibut sando with some of the slaw from yesterday's lunch.  

8B332BBD-DE9E-4A0F-A241-925A3242F83F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3a3a990bd05d1b1da36a7d00264d4e43.jpeg

I saved the beaten egg and seasoned panko from yesterday so it was quick and easy to coat and sauté another piece of fish. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Easy quick breakfast of basted/steamed eggs with cherry tomatoes, arugula, green onions a few dashes of green Cholula and a liberal grinding of black pepper.

Toasted baguette, oranges and coffee to accompany.

EggswithGreenOniosBlisteredTomatoesandArugulaandToastedBaguette.thumb.JPG.b0813aa3c81f233cfc58ba97fc6e50dd.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Because it’s summer down here we have tomatoes and basil growing. So breakfast was egg, tomato and a couple of little slices of Speck as opposed to bacon. 

EBF13C4D-0981-4030-8DB0-DA562BDA2884.jpeg.304fc56091e9fed61955c3f64265de93.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

@Neely, that's a delightful-looking breakfast! Where did you get the basil and tomato? Your garden, a commercial source, friends..?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This morning I took some home made but frozen 馄饨 (hún tún), wontons in American Chinese, from the freezer, renamed them tortellini and cooked them, then drizzled them with EVOO and freshly ground black pepper. 

Breakfast. Sorted.

Forgot to take picture.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Neely, that's a delightful-looking breakfast! Where did you get the basil and tomato? Your garden, a commercial source, friends..?

Hi smithy, Yes I’ve got tomatoes growing in the garden and lots of basil that lasts till the first cold weather of winter. Many other herbs as well. I like to go out into our small garden and pick herbs to add into the meal or as a garnish. 

• Like 4

Soft scrambled eggs with red Thai chilis, Thai basil, cilantro and green onions with a small sole fillet sauteed in butter with green onions.

Toasted baguette with orange marmalade, orange and cherries, V8 and coffee.

Will keep me going until I get home sometime this afternoon.

ScrambledwithThaiChiliThaiBasilCorianderandGreenOnionswithSolewithGreenOnions.thumb.JPG.7e7710e187cf3ec1aec93dc10162bb64.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

ChickenYakiUdonNoodlestirfryJanuary21st2024.thumb.jpg.deaeaf6ba46728063451b8938e5bc535.jpg

I had intended to do a Udon noodle stir fry with chicken for dinner last night.
BUT, Moe wasn't hungry for a big dinner so I made it this morning for his breakfast and I'm working today so I'll take it for lunch.
This is a bastardized version of a Chicken Yaki Udon dish. I adjust it to reduce the sodium and spiced it up a bit.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Prima Taste instant Singapore curry noodles have been recommended by several eG members so I decided give them a try.

098349A4-FCA0-45AA-8D25-CE12CD7D349D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.651d494218d46cd0f565bb47d147403c.jpeg

I added sugar snap peas, orange bell pepper, shrimp, scallions, cilantro and an egg.  Rather excessive in the sodium dept but very good. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Gallo pinto (per this recipe) topped with a fried egg with chile manzano salsa (recipe here), avocado and an orange from my tree.

D476EC6E-1084-4D6A-A361-9E8E092EBA8B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0355b383c4834900358e1d98086b5022.jpeg

Looks like you are back in the game - good to see! Your gallo pinto looks much more interesting than that which we ate at least once or twice a day in Costa Rica. I love beans and rice in many forms but that which we had in CR was usually just beans and rice with little if any seasoning and never any added veg. Granted we mainly stayed at B&B type places and ate at "sodas." I'm sure that @Tropicalsenior has had better versions and probably makes a fine version herself. Our (abriviated due to Covid taking over the world) trip to Costa Rica was fabulous in every regard, don't get me wrong but for a long time after we got home I wasn't interested in any type of beans and rice!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Your gallo pinto looks much more interesting than that which we ate at least once or twice a day in Costa Rica.

Yes, no doubt it’s not traditional but it sounded good to me!  I used Rancho Gordo Chiapas black beans and Massa Organics brown rice, also not traditional!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

which we had in CR was usually just beans and rice with little if any seasoning and never any added veg.

Unfortunately, that is the typical gallo pinto. I have had some better but it's all been made by nicaraguans. Myself, I do not make it because I do not like it. If I'm going to make beans and rice I wanted to have some flavor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Unfortunately, that is the typical gallo pinto. I have had some better but it's all been made by nicaraguans. Myself, I do not make it because I do not like it. If I'm going to make beans and rice I wanted to have some flavor.

I remember a cookbook I read years ago quoting a Nicaraguan as saying wryly that "for breakfast we have rice and beans, for lunch we have beans and rice, and for dinner we have gallo pinto."

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning