Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024


liuzhou

Recommended Posts

Breakfast sandwich with odds and ends from the fridge.

From the bottom: lettuce, tomato, mortadella, egg, seared shishito peppers, mushrooms, green onion tops and aged cheddar on a toasted brioche bun. Tasted great with good structural integrity (although I wouldn't recommend consuming in your vehicle). With fruit, juice and coffee.

 

EggMortadellaShishitoMushroomCheddarTomatoGreenOnionandLettuceonBrioche.thumb.JPG.aa3d434aa6316d252091a6e5c04af1ef.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Senior Sea Kayaker – your French toast has me asking Mr. Kim to rummage through our shed freezer for the package of panettone French toast I’ve got in there!  It looks so great.

 

For various reasons I’ve been MIA again and I’m trying to get caught up in many areas of my life including eG.  I am caught up in this thread, so I thought I’d post some recent breakfast/brunches. 

 

Got up unusually ravenous one morning, so:

IMG_6244.thumb.JPG.9b86be167e29e66794e717e3d1eea065.JPG

English muffin, potato cake, mandarin orange, Smokehouse bacon, sage sausage, and a fried egg.  It took me awhile, but I ate every bite 😊!

 

IMG_6287.JPG.852ad79c1d00b0c00328c548522f631a.JPG

Mandarin orange segments, toast, eggs, and Benton country ham.  Wish I’d had a biscuit! 

 

One morning, Mr. Kim brought home donuts from of local place:

IMG_6298.JPG.e8384b233b24db680c021df13d350cb2.JPG

Peach filled, Boston cream, strawberry filled powdered, toasted coconut (my favorite), and two glazed.  Therefore, brunch…

IMG_6299.JPG.f42f9055457ecbbfa2b85aee91da766f.JPG

Donut, sage sausage, and the best scrambled eggs I’ve made in forever – soft and fluffy without being wet.

 

IMG_6316.JPG.f81ce5885f13bc83292ee8eb36503003.JPG

Grilled ham, egg, and cheese.

 

IMG_6341.JPG.7b49edd9ea171129a39112122a2b2cce.JPG

Yet another grilled ham, egg, and cheese – fried this day.

 

IMG_6350.jpg.d3d0077507b461d23b24497bbc8870df.jpg

some of Jessica’s egg salad and ham. 

 

Yesterday leftover pork chop, cornmeal rolls and a couple of fried eggs: 

IMG_6368.thumb.JPG.8d1dbef3c736dc058d33de8224927137.JPG

 

Today was a ham and cheese quiche from a local food purveyor, Ukrops:

IMG_6375.JPG.d3d5a2f0da43cb3985d46574de9fbc65.JPG

They are a family in Richmond that used to have grocery stores in the area, but sold off all the stores.  They continued to make many of their specialties – deli, prepared, and bakery items mostly – and sell them through the other grocery stores in the area.  Incoming companies have learned that in order to thrive in Richmond, they needed to give people Ukrops products.  They still sell through other stores, but now have a food hall that is very successful.  Richmonders are very traditional and have LONG memories 😄

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Carrot Peanut Satay Ramen from Tenderheart. Recipe available online at this link

AB03AE9A-4933-43F8-988F-C8F0B7C24054_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0e5f8f53be10a39988ecaa637adb4aff.jpeg

 

That link had several recipes that intrigued me! I definitely want to try the lasagne with gochugaru sauce and the rhubarb upside down cake. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NadyaDuke said:

 

That link had several recipes that intrigued me! I definitely want to try the lasagne with gochugaru sauce and the rhubarb upside down cake. 

 

If you like the recipes you try, the whole Tenderheart book is pretty great.  She uses a lot of interesting flavor combinations and most of the vegetables she features are readily available most of the year. The book is nicely laid out with a recipe on one side and a photo of it on the facing page.  Hetty takes the photos herself as she's developing the recipes so there's no weirdly styled stuff.  It's quite a big book, so an e-book format could be a good idea. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Scrambled duck eggs with mushrooms.

 

IMG_20240309_115233_edit_58559316865542.thumb.jpg.7f467ae3e1784b7c78dded645ccf018a.jpg

 

黑皮鸡枞菌 (hēi pí jī cōng jūn), 'black skin chicken fir mushrooms', Oudemansiella Raphanipes.

 

IMG_20240308_175701.thumb.jpg.b0ccf389d4c9592d924e0b319cd749f5.jpg

 

松茸菌 (sōng róng jùn), (Japanese: マツタケ), matsutake, Tricholoma matsutake.

 

IMG_20240308_175447_edit_99389463472334.thumb.jpg.12b051f2524f4583e4249de99b881058.jpg

 

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@weinoo

 

im going to have to open a new folder 

 

next to the Roast Chicken folder

 

and call it Breakfast p0rn.

 

that Tor-Fri  will be its first member.

 

looks fabulous.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin – I love your perfect jammy eggs!  I feel like I could manage a half dozen of those with some ridiculously buttery toast any morning of the week.

 

Breakfast this morning was just a Lidl pain au chocolat:

IMG_6405.JPG.c99786e8303cbf8f7d027cdd57b9a9f9.JPG

I think this particular one looks uncommonly like a microscopic mite 😄.  They actually do a good job at Lidl bakery.  Obviously, they are frozen, but they have a decent texture and the chocolate is rich and dark:

IMG_6406.JPG.1dd2fc0bb906df19f4140cf1100e4a6b.JPG

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moe is having dental surgery today and won't be able to eat anything but soft foods
for the next few days and probably won't feel much like eating dinner tonight.
 
So I made him a big breakfast this morning.
 
AsparagusOmeletteMarch12th2024.thumb.jpg.72ae1a75a6fdeab93b67755fafccd50b.jpg
Asparagus Omelette with Coastal White Cheddar and a side of low sodium bacon.
Local asparagus won't be out here for another month or more.  
This was asparagus was from Mexico and was as good as any asparagus I have ever had.
 
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
Asparagus Omelette with Coastal White Cheddar and a side of low sodium bacon.
Local asparagus won't be out here for another month or more.  
This was asparagus was from Mexico and was as good as any asparagus I have ever had.

 

That omelette looks fabulous!  I got some big fat asparagus from Aldi recently (also grown in Mexico) and it was also excellent.  I only needed to peel the very bottom of the stems as the outside was a little fibrous but the inside wasn't woody at all so very little waste. 

Hope Moe's dental work goes smoothly and he doesn't need smoothies for very long!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

That omelette looks fabulous!  I got some big fat asparagus from Aldi recently (also grown in Mexico) and it was also excellent.  I only needed to peel the very bottom of the stems as the outside was a little fibrous but the inside wasn't woody at all so very little waste. 

Hope Moe's dental work goes smoothly and he doesn't need smoothies for very long!

@blue_dolphinNext time I have dental surgery, which is hopefully never,  I'm inviting you up to the Bay Area to put me on the popsicle diet. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – I love your perfect jammy eggs!  I feel like I could manage a half dozen of those with some ridiculously buttery toast any morning of the week.

 

Breakfast this morning was just a Lidl pain au chocolat:

IMG_6405.JPG.c99786e8303cbf8f7d027cdd57b9a9f9.JPG

I think this particular one looks uncommonly like a microscopic mite 😄.  They actually do a good job at Lidl bakery.  Obviously, they are frozen, but they have a decent texture and the chocolate is rich and dark:

IMG_6406.JPG.1dd2fc0bb906df19f4140cf1100e4a6b.JPG

So happy to see you posting again @Kim Shook!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2024 at 12:24 PM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Breakfast sandwich with odds and ends from the fridge.

From the bottom: lettuce, tomato, mortadella, egg, seared shishito peppers, mushrooms, green onion tops and aged cheddar on a toasted brioche bun. Tasted great with good structural integrity (although I wouldn't recommend consuming in your vehicle). With fruit, juice and coffee.

 

EggMortadellaShishitoMushroomCheddarTomatoGreenOnionandLettuceonBrioche.thumb.JPG.aa3d434aa6316d252091a6e5c04af1ef.JPG

 

Looks divine. Is there a princliple with sandwich making (besides the salt, fat, acid etc.)? What goes with what etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PetarG said:

Is there a princliple with sandwich making (besides the salt, fat, acid etc.)? What goes with what etc.

 

In the words of sandwich shop owner and hilarious cookbook author, Max Halley, the secret to delicious is captured in six words: HOT, COLD, SWEET, SOUR, CRUNCHY, SOFT. He says that if all of those things are present in your sandwich (or any plate of food), you're good!  I highly recommend his book, Max's Sandwich Book: The Ultimate Guide to Creating Perfection Between Two Slices of Bread and I'm looking forward to his new one out next month, Max's World of Sandwiches: A Guide to Amazing Sandwiches.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PetarG The only addition to @blue_dolphin's post is that there has to be a balance between those factors. A good example would be too much cheese that overpowers all the other ingredients.

Then there's the appropriate choice of bread........

 

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Breakfast wrap of eggs scrambled with bay scallops (snagged from later today's chowder cook), green onion, Thai basil, green Thai chilis, cilantro and shredded iceberg.

With some of last summer's cherries (not pitting them seemed like a good idea at the time) and a glass of V8.

 

DSCN1810.thumb.JPG.234bc199f303cd652970f11b301b58c4.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I riffed on a Roast Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat's Cheese from Roast Figs, Sugar Snow. 

2F327CC5-BDB4-45BC-80A4-D9B8374652E1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5b1ed0feeef5053a8414f640baf4f9ce.jpeg
Of course, I put an egg on it! Also greens underneath and tomato wedges on the side.  And I used a punchy mustard vinaigrette I had leftover from a recipe in Grist

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...