• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

New Year's Day lunch will be a similar menu to that for Christmas. In Scotland, New Year is more important than Christmas and I've kind of kept up that tradition.

I've been spending this evening taking stuff out of fridges and freezers in preparation. Smoked sturgeon, caviar and cheeses mainly.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

New Year's Day lunch will be a similar menu to that for Christmas. In Scotland, New Year is more important than Christmas and I've kind of kept up that tradition.

I've been spending this evening taking stuff out of fridges and freezers in preparation. Smoked sturgeon, caviar and cheeses mainly.

How many hours to Hogmanay where you are now?

@Kerry Beal

Actually, the original meaning of hogmanay referred to a type of cake which people gave as gifts on the day.

hogmanay Sc. and north. Eng.

(ˈhɒgməˈneɪ)

Forms: 7 hogmynae, 8 hagmane, -menai, 8–9 hagmena, -menay, (hagman heigh), hogmanay, (9 hogmena, -menay, -maney, hanganay).

[Of obscure history, noted only from 17th c. App. of French origin: see note below.]

The name given in Scotland (and some parts of the north of England) to the last day of the year, also called ‘Cake-day’; the gift of an oatmeal cake, or the like, which children expect, and in some parts systematically solicit, on that day.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

similar to my dinners

earlier

IMG_3105.thumb.jpg.256af5fc0f0d8779645310a605dc62ed.jpg

wonderful campari tomatoes from TJ's  w window green onions and TJ's green hatch dried chili flaks 

usual soft scrambled eggs , no butter or EVOO :  just egg tastes

and  ****  scrapple  *****  Jones brand , from Fz

dry fried , in the 12 " FondLess , until crispy on the side , the flipped , and crispy on the other side .

very nice .

Happy New Year Lunch !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

PXL_20240101_174035497.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.bb32cf8969e140ac9f1c06c152a067b0.jpg

Finally back from vacation (our flight home on the 30th was cancelled due to mechanical problems and we didn't wind up leaving until the 31st), so a NY buah keluak curry for lunch.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

@MetsFan5 

thank you .  they are perfect .  here is how you make them :

get a non-stick pan , that's in decent shape.

scramble the eggs .   get the non-stick pan hot . 

how hot ?  hot enough that the you add the eggs to the pan , the eggs really sizzle.

let sit for a few seconds , then move around w a silicone spatula.

the silicone spatula that has a sharp flexible edge

as soon as i start to move the eggs around , I turn off the heat under the pan.  

keep moving around until you are almost to your donees point, then plate.

that's it.

if interested in how the ****  perfect **** scramble-pple was cooked

let me know .

N.G.:  no butter , no EVOO  just eggs , 

its fine to use butter or EVOO , as they make tasty eggs, but then you taste butter or EVOO.

these days I like eggs plain , as the flavor is all eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Smoked salmon (smoked by local expat who goes by, Canuck Bob) and goat cheese quesadillas.  Also inside are grilled onions, red peppers and poblanos and big squeezes of chipotle molido.

q's1.jpg

q's2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Wonton Soup for a snowy day!

WontonSoup3261.jpg.87d4ebb61bf9ce1a57829c1c11848011.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Back to work today after two weeks in Spain - why do holidays always have to end 😪

At least I got a lunch meeting in our company restaurant. It’s called “quick lunch set”, but it did the job …

Double boiled goose consommé with roasted apple pieces …

IMG_2200.thumb.jpeg.c8f862045e5c7eaea3ce1bab21aee584.jpeg

Venison filet with Spätzle, roasted chestnuts, blanched Brussel sprouts and the most dense & aromatic sauce I’ve had a in while …

IMG_2202.thumb.jpeg.5a85e0d719017daa574a969cf5767f18.jpeg

Petit fours and coffee to finish. I am reconciled with the day ☺️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Back to work today after two weeks in Spain - why do holidays always have to end 😪

At least I got a lunch meeting in our company restaurant. It’s called “quick lunch set”, but it did the job …

Double boiled goose consommé with roasted apple pieces …

IMG_2200.thumb.jpeg.c8f862045e5c7eaea3ce1bab21aee584.jpeg

Venison filet with Spätzle, roasted chestnuts, blanched Brussel sprouts and the most dense & aromatic sauce I’ve had a in while …

IMG_2202.thumb.jpeg.5a85e0d719017daa574a969cf5767f18.jpeg

Petit fours and coffee to finish. I am reconciled with the day ☺️

Do you work in a palace?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

... middle-aged, woman from Kansas that loves to eat but not work very much.

Sorry, position's taken. They do have the male version of that already 😝

• Haha 9

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sorry, position's taken. They do have the male version of that already 😝

Listen, @Shelby is simply trying to ensure your company's gender equity initiatives are being accounted for....

Cut her some slack and put in a good word.  She does amazing holiday decorations! 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Momo in kwati. My Nepalese heritage by marriage.

PXL_20240113_135121826_MP2.thumb.jpg.80cf450ef9a37954390057e94c0fc53b.jpg

Chicken dumplings in a stew of several different types of beans and lentils. Made for January wherever you are. Especially good if it's winter.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3