• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I remember a cookbook I read years ago quoting a Nicaraguan as saying wryly that "for breakfast we have rice and beans, for lunch we have beans and rice, and for dinner we have gallo pinto."

That is true for both Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Years ago we went to an all inclusive Hotel on an island in Lake Nicaragua for fishing. For breakfast we had beans and rice and an egg, for lunch we had beans and rice, a slice of tomato and a piece of fried lunch meat and for dinner we had beans and rice, a salad and a piece of fried meat. This was repeated for 3 days. The only variation was the piece of fried meat for dinner. One night was chicken, one night was pork and the third night was unidentifiable. To this day I think it was a Tapir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

For breakfast we had beans and rice and an egg, for lunch we had beans and rice, a slice of tomato and a piece of fried lunch meat and for dinner we had beans and rice, a salad and a piece of fried meat. This was repeated for 3 days.

Many years ago, I flew Bangkok, Thailand to London and back again on the Bangladeshi national airline with a stopover in Dhaka each way. Dhaka has probably the worst airport in existence. It was the only flight I could get at short notice. Long story.

On the flights, I was served lentil curry and rice for breakfast, lentil curry and rice for lunch and lentil curry and rice for dinner. In both directions.

That was in their attempt at 'first class'. I don't even want to think about what they served in 'cattle class'.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I call this Dutch breakfast not sure why. I think I once had something like it when visiting Holland ages ago. Anyway it’s just a fried egg on toast and a slice of cheddar cheese on the other half.

51469B5F-83CB-4F8B-82BF-44B5E9CEC1E4.jpeg.186e1dd02762f07b5e61dce7ecbb1733.jpeg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That is true for both Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Years ago we went to an all inclusive Hotel on an island in Lake Nicaragua for fishing. For breakfast we had beans and rice and an egg, for lunch we had beans and rice, a slice of tomato and a piece of fried lunch meat and for dinner we had beans and rice, a salad and a piece of fried meat. This was repeated for 3 days. The only variation was the piece of fried meat for dinner. One night was chicken, one night was pork and the third night was unidentifiable. To this day I think it was a Tapir.

better than capybarra

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I picked up a side of Atlantic salmon yesterday. Two thirds went into starting material for gravlax leaving the tail portion (enough for two dinner portions) and the trimmed belly section.

Soft scrambled eggs with red Thai chili, Thai basil, green onion and cilantro. Pan fried and steamed salmon belly, cherry tomatoes toasted baguette and a mix of blood orange and apple.

DSCN1647.thumb.JPG.d6e998dd9fec17ac2177321f54a51a9e.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I picked up a ham steak from the local abattoir. Sliced off some thin slices and made ham, egg, and cheese on an English muffin. It was good but the mass market muffin is pretty bland. 

I had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch but no photo. 

IMG_0953.jpeg

Edited by dans (log)
  • Like 9

Two recent breakfasts:

The first is something I rarely have as I usually don't care for a sweet breakfast. Waffles with blackberries and maple syrup with a hot chorizo on the side to balance out the sweetness.

Second is eggs scrambled with a king oyster mushroom, a small piece of hot chorizo, spinach and green onions with aged cheddar on a toasted baguette. A shot of gazpacho and a tangerine on the side.

WaffleswithBlackberriesMapleSyrupandChorizo.thumb.JPG.bef4a32e21fa07ff53134eaf5638ca12.JPGDSCN1659.thumb.JPG.d8ec3fbb16365c55002bfca5f601032a.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Sticky gochujang Brussels sprouts with rice and yogurt from Tenderheart, sesame sweet potatoes from Veg-Table with a fried egg and tangelo wedges.

242D51E9-FD75-4653-AE9E-918D17987441_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fac3fd4d8e7e4278f04e7c65c42cc0c0.jpeg

I used some of the gochujang marinade from the sprouts to drizzle on the egg.  I really liked the sprouts.  The sweet potatoes get drizzled with sesame oil before roasting but it didn't add a ton of flavor.  They look pretty though and were good when I added more of that gochujang marinade!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The sweet potatoes get drizzled with sesame oil before roasting but it didn't add a ton of flavor.

I'm not surprised. Sesame oil is prized in East Asia for its aroma and flavor, both  of which are highly volatile and are rapidly destroyed by heat. 

It is only used as a condiment, sprinkled on finished dishes immediately before serving.

So many recipes want you to cook it. You'd get the same result pouring it down the drain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Creamy Harissa Mushrooms with a side of sugar snaps

CC46B04D-32C9-4E55-AD1E-9452469767B3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0a7df8daeb2a9340fb15f9c8fd5db105.jpeg

This recipe, which couldn't be easier, came in an e-mail from the Zwïta peeps, makers of harissa. 

Cook the mushrooms, add harissa to the pan, stir about, add the cream, simmer a bit and spoon over toast.

They recommend drizzling some balsamic glaze over the top. I tried a little balsamic vinegar and the acid is welcome but I don't think I'd care for the sweetness of a glaze.  Maybe a pickly garnish of some sort?

Edited to add that I will put my little brain to work on that because the stuff is really good.  You could spoon it into a baked potato, on polenta, over chicken, as a pasta sauce, etc. for a quick meal.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Such delicious breakfasts blue_dolphin.

Fresh tomatoes with grilled cheese on top. Possibly my all time fav breakfast.  I don’t mind the burnt bits. 

216641A3-0596-4FC4-88C4-DB71A7E099AD.thumb.jpeg.f3452e010a84b697df0c45c356c4dfbd.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neely said:

Such delicious breakfasts blue_dolphin.

Fresh tomatoes with grilled cheese on top. Possibly my all time fav breakfast.  I don’t mind the burnt bits. 

216641A3-0596-4FC4-88C4-DB71A7E099AD.thumb.jpeg.f3452e010a84b697df0c45c356c4dfbd.jpeg

Looks outstanding! The kind of brekkie that could get me in trouble.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

And although neither of us are big on leftovers, this is one of Moe's favourite ways to have leftover roast beef.
LeftoverroastbeefandyorkshirepuddingwithscrambledeggsFebruary1st2024.thumb.jpg.4786fae2a0742e33829e477e2317e3b4.jpg
Yesterday's breakfast with leftover gravy and Yorkshire Puddings, roast beef and scrambled eggs.
RoastTopSirloinonSourdoughforbeefdipJanuary31st2024.thumb.jpg.ef9674da75c9e5123a9644af94d98c79.jpg

And I made a beef dip sandwich on a fresh baked sourdough baguette.  I'm going to take it to work for lunch.  
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I made southern fried chicken with a cream gravy for breakfast.

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I made southern fried chicken with a cream gravy for breakfast.

SouthernFriedChickenwithDumplingsandcreamgravyFebruary2nd20241.thumb.jpg.bd959cfd7f53d7d4f992cf75ae8e69ff.jpg

It was suppose to be last night's dinner. Had intended to make mashed potatoes, but made dumplings instead.

Looks great but honestly if I ate that for breakfast I would have to go back to bed!

I made these mussels and rice noodles in green curry broth for lunch yesterday. I still had more mussels in the fridge and this was so good and easy that I made it again for breakfast. 

A delicious and warming bowl for a cool, cloudy morning. 

Still enough mussels for one more dish... hopefully I'll branch out and make something different but I really wouldn't mind having this again!

69C0D2C3-849E-4869-B7C2-A59C4271BE08_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.845c2b3098d6fa5993e08395bb09797f.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
fixed photo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Looks great but honestly if I ate that for breakfast I would have to go back to bed!

Moe has always loved breakfast.  Including dinner for breakfast.

I don't care for breakfast or most breakfast foods.

So I take most of these "dinner for breakfast" meals to work for lunch.

• Like 4