• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

3 hours ago, YvetteMT said:

I am not a morning person or a food in the morning person- the thought makes me nauseous. I need hours before I want anything more than a coffee.  The exception to that is when traveling for work and don't know when food will happen- I choke down hotel eggs and steal a yogurt or two for later. I leave next week for a 3 week work trip, I'll be sure to share at least one hotel egg pic!

On weekends I typically make breakfast for partner and I- I've been up for hours sipping coffee by the time he rolls out so it works.  During the week I don't typically have something for at least 5 hours after rising- and then it's usually dinner leftovers or sausages/meatballs/hunk of cheese type fare.

Welcome to eG, @YvetteMT!  I'm glad you came out of lurkdom and am looking forward to your sharing future weekend breakfasts or brunches here.   

I think your reaction to breakfast is quite common but for further discussion of foods that make you nauseous or that you have to choke down, I'm going to gently suggest you visit topics outside of the actual Cooking forums.  For a site that attracts people who love food, it's pretty funny how many topics are devoted to stuff people don't like!  

Here are a few options:

Foods You Just Don't Like

Time to Eat

Hideous Recipes

Personal Taste

Foods that are Divisive Because of their Taste/Aftertaste

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

Most revolting use of condiments

How Important is Breakfast

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I finally got around to following @NadyaDuke's lead and made Eric Kim's Gyeran Bap from NYT Cooking.  I made the version from his book, Korean American, a couple of years ago (here in Breakfast 2022), so it was about time to repeat.  

98B4D473-88DB-40AC-BF0C-E9EC8BB5F2BD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.28ec71950534ad3f16f255245e28f0ef.jpeg

The egg itself was cooked per the slow fried egg recipe in Max Halley's new book, Max's World of Sandwiches.

It starts in a cold pan with a generous amount of oil and takes 15-20 min to cook the white and leave a runny yolk. Not your everyday egg, but I had to try it.  Max says it looks like a cartoon or emoji fried egg and indeed it does. 

I kinda missed the capers from the version of this in Eric's book so I reached for some leftover kimchi and onions from the mussels I made yesterday and added some of that to the bowl after I took the photo. 

Looks prettier than mine! Would you do the slow fried egg again?

Used up some of the leftover chicken schnitzel (see Dinner thread) in a grilled sandwich with sharp cheddar. If I’d been thinking I would have added a relish, like the onion jam I bought on a whim.

IMG_1472.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

Looks prettier than mine! Would you do the slow fried egg again?

Yeah, I would.  Takes a while but leaves you free to do other things and provides an alternative to quickly frying eggs at the last minute to put on top of something. I generally like a crispy fried egg but this is a pretty low fuss way to get that look of a pristine fried egg without any brown bits. It uses a fair amount of oil (at least 1/8") and starts in a cold pan so the yolk kind of bobs on the surface while the white cooks gently as the oil warms up on the lowest of simmers. I have small cast iron skillets that would be good for 1 or 2 or 3 eggs. For a crowd, you'd need a big skillet and a lot of oil.

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Started the Tourtiere filling and the quick puff pastry last night and this morning
I made Tourtiere turnovers. Eight larger ones and 8 minis.

TourtiereTurnoversApril23rd2024.thumb.jpg.317f55cccdaf5053f561c8307d8bc824.jpg
Moe had two for breakfast. One with the chile sauce I canned for his Christmas Eve tourtiere, and one with chicken gravy.
I'm going to freeze the rest so Moe can have them whenever he feels like it. On the days I work, he can just take one or two out the freezer and warm them up in the oven.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yeah, I would.  Takes a while but leaves you free to do other things and provides an alternative to quickly frying eggs at the last minute to put on top of something. I generally like a crispy fried egg but this is a pretty low fuss way to get that look of a pristine fried egg without any brown bits. It uses a fair amount of oil (at least 1/8") and starts in a cold pan so the yolk kind of bobs on the surface while the white cooks gently as the oil warms up on the lowest of simmers. I have small cast iron skillets that would be good for 1 or 2 or 3 eggs. For a crowd, you'd need a big skillet and a lot of oil.

Does the egg cooked in that matter differ from an egg started in a bit of butter or oil, a splash of water added, pan covered until the white is set and the yolk runny? I don't like eggs with crispy bottoms so this is my usual method.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Does the egg cooked in that matter differ from an egg started in a bit of butter or oil, a splash of water added, pan covered until the white is set and the yolk runny? I don't like eggs with crispy bottoms so this is my usual method.

If I cook an egg as you describe, the surface of the yolk starts to set up a bit from the steam and has a more opaque pinkish white appearance. The slow fry yolk remains a bright yellow as it stays above the oil. 
When I dropped the egg into the cold oil, the white stayed together more and didn’t spread out as much as when I crack one into a hot pan so the white was thicker but evenly cooked.  That may vary with the freshness of the egg. Max said fresh eggs were a must and low heat is key. 

• Thanks 1

Salmon croquettes from Jubilee topped with another novelty slow fried egg

8C3017D8-DA25-4D2E-8203-65F6B060FDBF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.80f91d8a956714c7977a26499ad9bfcc.jpeg

Here's the egg, cracked into a cold pan, showing the yolk bobbing above the oil. 

42291F56-4E9F-43E1-8FA8-79985E2C4796_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f0718de0544609d33bf4c40b02984249.jpeg

Here we are almost done. These eggs weren't the freshest so you can see I have a little skirt of loose white but most of it is hanging together and the yolk is still above the oil.

7FCDEFFC-2D1C-4EB9-B537-11C429661AEC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.92a721846e6b28f658d05de7a3e840a2.jpeg

And done, on top of the salmon croquettes. It really does look like an egg emoji!

9CE5E173-574E-4B5F-BDF7-67BF320B9239_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c6322ec206a7452a46d467d92b30e74e.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Just now, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

interesting.

how much oil do you use ?

neutral oil ?  can you taste the oil in the finished egg ?

id there  a ref. for this technique you can post ?

It turned up in Max Halley's new book Max’s World of Sandwiches (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Yes, neutral oil. No, I can’t taste the oil though I’ve blotted the egg on a paper towel after scooping it out of the oil.
He says to use at least 1/8 inch of oil, a fairly standard amount for shallow frying. 

• Like 1

Salmon croquettes again.  This time with kimchi slaw.

D3E6604F-42CE-4DE5-BD6F-7535D8874A1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited to add that I mixed up the croquettes yesterday and fried a few for breakfast.  I put the mix in the fridge and this morning, I shaped and baked the rest of them so I have a few more to enjoy. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

Id like to hear more about that kimchi slaw.

thank you.

For my usual kimchi slaw, I just put some kimchi and kimchi juice in a bowl, use scissors to chop it up, add a little mayo and that's the dressing for a bunch of finely sliced cabbage and any other shredded veg (carrot, radish, turnip, broccoli stems, kohlrabi, etc) I want to use up. 

Now, today, I actually used a recipe in The Global Pantry Cookbook and more or less followed it:

1/3 cup mayo

1T toasted sesame oil

1t sugar 

1/2 t salt 

2 c finely sliced cabbage

3/4 c finely chopped scallions

1/2 cup finely chopped kimchi

I eyeballed everything probably used less mayo and sesame oil and just a pinch of salt and sugar but you get the idea. 

• Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

do you salt , drain , rinse your cabbage before use ?

I do not. I usually just toss it together and eat it.  I like the crunch of the fresh veg.  If there are leftovers, the cabbage will indeed give off some liquid and I'll either drain it off or mix it in, depending on how it looks. 

• Like 2

Chipotle cream sauce for leftover potatoes and green beans, topped with feta cheese and a quick shallot pickle. Shallot pickle is getting crisper and spicier. Chipotle sauce included fried onion and garlic, freshly ground cloves, cumin, and Mexican cinnamon, and cilantro.

Would make again. 🙂

Chipotle_potato_202404-2.thumb.jpg.b3144246e3babf95b045e314107b67fa.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday's breakfast was pretty boring and I failed to take a photo.  Toasted English muffin with peanut butter and banana slices.  

Today was the last of the salmon croquettes with another quick slaw - this one dressed with a mix of mayo and TJ's yuzu kosho hot sauce.  

BB2A635B-DDB5-4168-89B0-D3F20FD000E2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7878b056552069cee100cfcd4b2f1d92.jpeg

Slaw veg were cabbage, Brussels sprouts, an oddly pale watermelon radish and scallions plus a sprinkle of black sesame seeds. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

A few recent breakfasts.

Egg, chorizo, mustard green, green onion, green Thai and finger peppers, cilantro and aged cheddar on a WW tortilla with a shot of freezer gazpacho and kiwi.

Egg, chorizo, mushroom, tomato, mustard green, green onion and aged cheddar on a WW bagel with freezer gazpacho and a blood orange.

GreenWrap.thumb.JPG.4351ab68411ac5f9efe94b8eabb30082.JPGEggChorizoMushroomGreenOnionTomatoMustardGreensandAgedCheddar.thumb.JPG.2e5a36ea8df3286e43bd6dc2d8bdcfb8.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast sandwich of shredded romaine, blood sausage, shishito pepper, egg, chives and aged cheddar on a WW bagel.

Shot of freezer gazpacho and fruit with yogurt to provide acidity to balance the sandwich.

Enjoyed in the evolving sunrise.

DSCN1989.thumb.JPG.1c3c18128f47af369c5c1f5284a2aa71.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1