• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter 2024

What is happening to us that we aren't talking about this?  It's Easter Sunday at 5:00 pm my time and no thread lol.

We don't do a big family thing on Ronnie's side anymore for which I'm totally fine with.   So, it's the two of us.  We bought a big bone in ham on sale last week but decided we wanted lamb chops so ham went in the freezer.

SV chops

Spinach/garlic/butter/parm cheese concoction

Deviled eggs

Scalloped potatoes

Maybe some artichokes...but maybe not

Key lime pie for dessert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My SIL and BIL hosted an Easter brunch for 9 people.  I was asked to make Greek yogurt which I did.  I also made 4 batches of ginger pumpkin muffins, I batch per family.  The brunch was today.  John went but I couldn't go because I was under the weather.  Sad.

• Sad 5

First time in over 30 years we didn't have guests/family for Easter. Kids are distant.  Just us and the animals.

We had orange/soy pork tenderloin, braised savoy cabbage, deviled eggs. It was good

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Classic Easter dinner? Uh, no. We hit the highway this morning on our road trip to Texas. Easter mid-day meal was PB & Raspberry jam sandwiches on homemade bread. Downhill from there with misc fridge cleaning items. This was at a godforsaken rest area in the middle of nowhere under storm clouds. Now ensconced in a generic Holiday Inn Express, also in the middle of nowhere. Tomorrow will be sunny and we'll be in Palm Springs by afternoon!

• Like 6

Doing ours today, because the other grandparents had theirs yesterday. Got a turkey because my GF can't eat ham or lamb. Thinking I might break it down and roll up 3/4 of the bird inside its skin as a boneless roast. Got broccoli, cauli and asparagus for veg, and a small buttercup squash that was on sale. Treatment of same, and a final call on dessert, TBD.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Costco filet mignons, butter basted

SV gold potatoes in mushroom sauce

SV carrots in butter/honey mustard glaze

Steamed green beans

cranberry relish

fresh fruit for dessert.

I won the egg battle this year.

• Like 6

I'm afraid our Easter dinner was a bust. My husband has been (badly) under the weather for a couple of months, and it's affected his appetite and my energy. Nonetheless I tried to do a nice pork tenderloin...and did the poor thing a disservice.

Milk Street had a schnitzel recipe for pork tenderloin medallions, of all things, and I considered it then rejected the idea. I also saw some delightful-looking recipes for pork curries. But no, in the end I tried adapting an old favorite treatment of pork shoulder. What the heck: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I seasoned the tenderloin, then tried to brown it in a Dutch oven. It didn't brown well, but I was trying not to overcook it. At least I got it started.

20240401_103543.jpg

Then I removed it, browned and partially cooked baby potatoes (cut in half) until they were well on their way. Put the tenderloin pieces back in the pot, slathered the whole thing with Lipton's Recipe Secrets (fka Lipton's Onion Soup mix). Gave it a bit of time steaming, then finished in the oven.

As I said, it was a disservice to the pork. See the top half of this collage to see how it turned out to be much more like pulled pork.

20240401_103432.jpg

The potatoes were the star of the show, and we'll be enjoying them! These photos are of the leftovers. They're better warm.

The asparagus was pretty good, somewhere in the middle of the good / not so good continuum. Barely cooked, then tossed with toasted alnuts and a browned butter / vinegar sauce. No pictures.

So...yes, it was Easter dinner but I'm glad we didn't have guests. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to do pulled pork, to finish up that meat!

• Sad 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmm … I already posted Easter linner here, but maybe you’d be interested in breakfast, too ?

I picked up fresh croissants from the only decent bakery open on Easter Sunday some 10 km away from our home. They came fresh out of the oven …

IMG_3032.thumb.jpeg.cebba79bb9278ff67f47e7a00d86ac3c.jpeg

The full monty:

IMG_3033.thumb.jpeg.5d4df922232ea53c75f4b6abf6a0d334.jpeg

And at least my favorite: the cold cuts …

IMG_3034.thumb.jpeg.ec5f6f42c9716e3191454a4b09d6a233.jpeg

An oddity: Easter Brötchen with carrot inside …

IMG_3037.thumb.jpeg.ab457e4213580917ca5b9c5ad9f8ef35.jpeg

The mona or Easter bread. A brioche dough with an hard boiled egg. Perfect with Nutella !

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.58ef00b6aa83e979efe31dbb9a96ac99.jpeg

And just in case you were wondering about the rabbits: the big one is callled Mr. Brownie and turned 20 years this Easter. My mom sent it to my then girlfriend (now wife) on our first Easter living in Japan 2004. The little one is called Hasi and belongs to our little one. We bought it 2 years before he was born, and gave it to him upon his birth (his second picture ever is with Hasi). They celebrated Mr. Brownies birthday together …

b5323604-bc4b-4a5d-82f3-834c726fd921.thumb.jpeg.dbec9fdb0316132ec9808f03b41040cc.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

@Duvel

Outstanding.

are the croissants made w butter ?

interesting history re :croissants in France

the curled shape , vs the straight shape.

and Pork Products !  

nice to see God's Bologna ( Mortadella )

is the version w/o pistachios.

what is the blue item , just to the lower left of center ?

PXL_20240401_194243240.thumb.jpg.f7d209e2da682de62128586dd2f767cb.jpg

Roast lamb, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, honey and soy glazed carrots, Yorkshire pudding.

PXL_20240401_195936932.thumb.jpg.27a61f5e082a8c1fff7b75605f6f4f5e.jpg

Tarte Tatin.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

Outstanding.

are the croissants made w butter ?

interesting history re :croissants in France

the curled shape , vs the straight shape.

and Pork Products !  

nice to see God's Bologna ( Mortadella )

is the version w/o pistachios.

what is the blue item , just to the lower left of center ?

Here’s the “blue item”. 
It's a fun butter dish. I had to hunt to find a linkable pic in blue. I think there were many more colors available in the late ‘90s.

• Like 4