• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, patris said:

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone (some for the first time altogether, and some for the first time since the Toronto workshop) in a few weeks and welcoming you all to Buffalo!

As Kerry mentioned upthread, I will be hosting the Friday night show and tell on my patio. I'm planning a heavy hors d'oeuvres and drinks situation with wine and hard and regular seltzers, and will be doing some of the cooking myself and ordering a few things in. If we get rained out, I have a backup plan but hopefully we will not need to use it.

Saturday dinner will more than likely be at Tacos, Community and Beer, where they have a covered patio with heaters if we need them. I have heard great things about their food (tacos, unsurprisingly) but have not yet eaten there myself. It will be a buffet-style service and as Kerry mentioned, drinks will be on your own.

If anyone has any dietary restrictions (assume omnivorous menus throughout the weekend with lots of vegetarian choices), please let me know so I can make sure we create an inclusive and accommodating experience. Similarly, if anyone has any mobility challenges, please let me know that too - my house is a ranch with just one step up from the patio but our rain plan is a second-floor event space with no elevator or lift.

At this early stage, our weather in Buffalo is encouraging - this past weekend I got the patio entirely set up and there's no sign, at least for the next couple of weeks, that I'll regret that. Hoping it stays that way!

One of us is vegetarian (lacto-ovo), so options would be great.  Thank you so much for hosting Friday - let’s all hope the weather is fantastic!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Audrey Brown said:

One of us is vegetarian (lacto-ovo), so options would be great.  Thank you so much for hosting Friday - let’s all hope the weather is fantastic!

As a lacto-ovo-vegetarian myself, I fully intend to provide robust veggie options. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Patty

2 hours ago, patris said:

As a lacto-ovo-vegetarian myself, I fully intend to provide robust veggie options. Looking forward to it!

Good to hear. My daughter, Maddie (she will be my +1) is mostly vegetarian - occasionally eats seafood. Thank you for hosting!

• Like 1

Kerry Beal

lironp

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

Audrey Brown +1 (Melanie)

alleguede 

tikidoc +1 (maybe Maddie)

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

kimmiq

Haley + Kelsey + Britney

Matcha Wizard - aka Jenna

VistaGardens

Gwbyls

Bernie Mueller (+1 maybe)

Eat.Choui - can't believe I missed putting her on the list cause she was one of the first who contacted me 

Kerry Beal

lironp

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

kimmiq

Haley + Kelsey + Britney

VistaGardens

Gwbyls

Eat.Choui - can't believe I missed putting her on the list cause she was one of the first who contacted me 

Best get your hotel rooms booked - looks like April 18th is the last day for our special rate. 

https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/deeplink/?ctyhocn=BUFDTHX&groupCode=CHHTCT&arrivaldate=2023-05-18&departuredate=2023-05-21&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT

Also if everyone could pay the for the workshop by Friday April 21st - it will allow us to start getting the supplies we need. 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Also if everyone could pay the for the workshop by Friday April 21st - it will allow us to start getting the supplies we need. 

As @Kerry Beal mentioned earlier, I can accept your payments via PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, or Zelle - just PM me with your preferred method and I'll send you my details.

Edited by patris
punctuation corrrection (log)

Patty

5 minutes ago, dhardy123 said:

Hi Kerry

I will attend. I can help you bring supplies if you need me

I appreciate that Dave - how do you feel about smuggling?

• Haha 3

Kerry Beal

lironp

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

Sue and Jane 

Maggie Smith

Anniebakes

kimmiq

Haley + Kelsey + Britney

VistaGardens

Gwbyls

dhardy123

It will be good to see you and Maddie - if you could send the payment to @patris via the friends and family option ASAP - that would be great 

Looks like a few of you missed the link to the payment - going to recopy it here. If you could get the payment done ASAP so you don't lose your spot. 

Well - went digging back to the last time I did this and discovered that I had used PayPal.me to receive funds. So @patris and I discussed it and it would appear that if I use use my Canadian PayPal account I'll get charged on the conversion from US to CAN and then again when we purchase stuff on the conversion from CAN to US. 

So we have decided that we will collect the funds via your choice of PayPal, Venmo, cash app, Zelle sent to @patris. If you PM @patris she will send you a send a link for your choice of payment method. Make sure you send it Friends and Family if it's PayPal. 

Cost is $225 US for the workshop and $25 US for Saturday dinner - booze on Saturday not included. 

With 3 weeks left to go, my house is becoming a frequent UPS stop with vast quantities of goodies coming from all directions - samples of all kinds thanks to @Kerry Beal and @Chocolot’s relationships with terrific and generous vendors. Here’s a preview - chocolates from Guittard, colored cocoa butter and other cool stuff from Chef Rubber, and fruit and hazelnut pastes from MEC 3. Time to get inspired!

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

• Like 6

Patty

Woo hoo!!! Thanks for the sneak peaks @Kerry Beal and @patris!!! I see a few things that I am interested in working with and trying out!

Does anyone have a cheesecake bonbon recipe that they are willing to share? I'm seeing cheesecake bonbons all over the place (and they have even made it to Trader Joe's) and would like to try making at least one version at the workshop.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, curls said:

Woo hoo!!! Thanks for the sneak peaks @Kerry Beal and @patris!!! I see a few things that I am interested in working with and trying out!

Does anyone have a cheesecake bonbon recipe that they are willing to share? I'm seeing cheesecake bonbons all over the place (and they have even made it to Trader Joe's) and would like to try making at least one version at the workshop.

I think we made one a JM's place in Vegas and I run across it occasionally hidden deep in the bowels of my computer - let me see if I can find it again. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, curls said:

I use the felchlin mascarponosa that I see a little tub of in one of the samples pictures! I usually like to make as many fillings from scratch as I can, but I make an exception for a 3 layer cheesecake bonbon (pate de fruit, mascarponosa, cookie crust layer)

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Haley said:

I use the felchlin mascarponosa that I see a little tub of in one of the samples pictures! I usually like to make as many fillings from scratch as I can, but I make an exception for a 3 layer cheesecake bonbon (pate de fruit, mascarponosa, cookie crust layer)

That sounds like a great approach that would have good shelf life! If you have any that you can bring to the workshop show & tell, I would love to try your version of a cheesecake bonbon. 

• Like 1

Kerry Beal

lironp

YetiChocolates

curls

chocolot 

patris 

alleguede 

tikidoc + Maddie

Sue and Jane 

Anniebakes

Haley +  Brittany

VistaGardens

Gwbyls

Bernie Mueller

dhardy123

So we've had a large number of last minute drop outs - which will be nice for the workshop end of things - but not so great for the finances as they were based on at least 6 more people.

Two workshops ago I was out a chunk of money when it was all done because I hadn't asked people to pay ahead and there were no shows that didn't let me know they weren't coming. So last workshop I determined that payment had to be ahead and that worked out well when there were an abundance of participants and if they wanted to drop out - they were responsible for selling their spot.

So looking at ways to reduce overall cost.  We had intended to provide breakfast at Tomric - but maybe folks could eat at their hotel before they come and we could just stick to beverages for the morning. 

Welcome any other suggestions. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So we've had a large number of last minute drop outs - which will be nice for the workshop end of things - but not so great for the finances as they were based on at least 6 more people.

Two workshops ago I was out a chunk of money when it was all done because I hadn't asked people to pay ahead and there were no shows that didn't let me know they weren't coming. So last workshop I determined that payment had to be ahead and that worked out well when there were an abundance of participants and if they wanted to drop out - they were responsible for selling their spot.

So looking at ways to reduce overall cost.  We had intended to provide breakfast at Tomric - but maybe folks could eat at their hotel before they come and we could just stick to beverages for the morning. 

Welcome any other suggestions. 

So, if we take care of our own breakfasts, are the costs covered or do we need to cut some other items as well? Definitely don't want you to be stuck funding the event!

I'm fine with omitting breakfast but it was nice to plan the day's events over breakfast. I would also be ok with paying a bit more if that will allow us to have breakfast at Tomric.