• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

Well folks - it has been a long time since our last report in 2019. 

We are here in Buffalo getting ready to head off to start our first of 3 days of play!

IMG_5620.thumb.JPG.52ac3c1525e5b202a4634e3e38b5a928.JPG

Breakfast will be ready!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Willow, Gaylene and Ruth have been in NYC for the past couple of days - walking their feet off!

So I'm looking forward to them adding a small report here if they will. They visited some chocolate shops and some iconic sites. 

Rodney, Patty and I shared dinner last night from Falafel Bar - so falafel, deep fried cauliflower, brik, chicken cutlet, Israeli salad and pita.

IMG_5622.thumb.JPG.c0f23ee8601ca34ec9b63fa862f6d056.JPG

IMG_5626.thumb.JPG.23c6c732432039f6b126e5cda392bd01.JPG

IMG_5624.thumb.JPG.3a2f944a23d066efda28482d9a01bdeb.JPG

IMG_5627.thumb.JPG.4dc268bdfd1113bf75104ed94030f150.JPG

A little more food than required!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

It it's permitted, and if you have the time...which I can't wonder how you might have...could you please identify the folks in the upcoming photos?  Thanks.  Wish I could be there.  

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I WANT THAT SALAD AND FLATBREAD. :x You've barely started, and already I'm drooling! I love falafel. What did you think of the cauliflower?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

I WANT THAT SALAD AND FLATBREAD. :x You've barely started, and already I'm drooling! I love falafel. What did you think of the cauliflower?

Falafel Bar is one of my favorite restaurants and I order the cauliflower almost every time I eat there. This time it was underseasoned (unseasoned, actually), but the yogurt red pepper sauce almost made up for that. I’ll still order it every time.

• Like 4

Patty

IMG_5628.thumb.JPG.f752e4e42a68486b6f93010e9f31327a.JPG

Breakfast - made for me by @patris - hope the ketchup won't offend.

IMG_5630.thumb.JPG.61a58f6eccaaf2ab5b243bff214cc48f.JPG

Lunch set up - Rodney's breads 

IMG_5631.thumb.JPG.f3168713850544387746a79a892e5d72.JPG

Forgot breakfast pastry pics - hope someone took 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Breakfast - made for me by @patris - hope the ketchup won't offend.

Glad that someone is spoiling you for a change.  Rodney's breads  are always amazing. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First item being made in the melanger. @patrismade a banana "chocolate". This will be used as a component in tomorrow's experiments. 

A number of melangers and melanger parts were purchased and will be heading home with happy chocolatiers. We were joined by the company owner and his chief engineer!

20230519_124227.thumb.jpg.0258e1f47bc2af4bc400f061174a04be.jpg

• Like 5

I'm confused about the scale in the photos above. The airbrush masks look much larger than the finished confections. Is that simply the photographic angle, i.e. the camera was much closer to the mask than to the finished pieces? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm confused about the scale in the photos above. The airbrush masks look much larger than the finished confections. Is that simply the photographic angle, i.e. the camera was much closer to the mask than to the finished pieces? 

The 3D printer masks are sized to fit the egg mould. I included a photo of the egg with the sprayed rabbit. I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last nights communal dinner held outside on the patio at TCB - Taco's Community and Beer 

IMG_5636.thumb.jpeg.b597c075f9e04976e02d50f389eb9206.jpeg

Served buffet style for our group - chicken, barbacoa and a vegetable option. 

IMG_5637.thumb.jpeg.ff9b4c27857daea4511ee4ee1ea4cd15.jpeg

Chips, salsas, guacamole

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Kerry Beal 

thank  you for for allowing us  follow along.

I do love darker chocolate 

ie   See's , way back then  

[ ed. West Cost Only ]

and I do love 

The Right Stuff , w numbers ( that change ) :

image.thumb.jpeg.e1eb2e722a630075ea72fd70bd461f4d.jpeg

and the pots im sure are , the best pots , having been looked into 

my question is :

Goya ?   

very fine stuff Goya indeed has 

Soo   I count make out the label .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, curls said:

First item being made in the melanger. @patrismade a banana "chocolate". This will be used as a component in tomorrow's experiments. 

A number of melangers and melanger parts were purchased and will be heading home with happy chocolatiers. We were joined by the company owner and his chief engineer!

20230519_124227.thumb.jpg.0258e1f47bc2af4bc400f061174a04be.jpg

I notice that the additional part (what I referred to as a splash guard) is not installed on the melanger.  Was there a reason for that?

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

thank  you for for allowing us  follow along.

I do love darker chocolate 

ie   See's , way back then  

[ ed. West Cost Only ]

and I do love 

The Right Stuff , w numbers ( that change ) :

image.thumb.jpeg.e1eb2e722a630075ea72fd70bd461f4d.jpeg

and the pots im sure are , the best pots , having been looked into 

my question is :

Goya ?   

very fine stuff Goya indeed has 

Soo   I count make out the label .

That’s Goya coconut milk. I can’t recall what it was being used for, though.

• Like 1

Patty