• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

On 5/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Actually Bhavani and likely his engineer are going to be coming on Thursday and driving back to NJ on Friday. Unfortunately they don't have one of their new winnowers to show us - but I've seen the prototype when we were in Italy in 2020 and it's works so much better than other winnowers. But they do have lots of melangers they can bring along with the new stones that have the metal bushings.

Do you think if I were to order something from them they could deliver it to Tomric? I need some epoxy for my bowl...

20 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

Do you think if I were to order something from them they could deliver it to Tomric? I need some epoxy for my bowl...

They should be coming - so we will ask them to bring.

Ok - so talking with him now - he will bring the epoxy but says it's a bit tricky and if you want to bring your bowl he'll fix it for you. So he can send you home with epoxy and instructions or one of the bowls mentioned below.

Also he will bring some slightly used/damaged but perfectly functional bowls. He will also complete sets of stone holder, roller stones and drum for a very good price, as well as the lock knob and center rod required to replace old stones with new stones. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Let me get an idea of how many people might want to take home the following so he brings enough stuff with him - 

1. 8 pound melanger (check website to see preferred version)

2. 10 pound tilting melanger (same) 

3. new version of the small bowl for either of the above (still in beta but I have one and it's the cat's meow) - it's not on the website but if you look at the large bowls with the stainless stone holders - it's essentially a small version of that 

4. new version of the big bowl with the metal bushings and stainless holder which is a set that includes the new metal rod and locking nut - version for the 8 lb and the 10 lb tilting 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

3. new version of the small bowl for either of the above (still in beta but I have one and it's the cat's meow) - it's not on the website but if you look at the large bowls with the stainless stone holders - it's essentially a small version of that

When you mention the small bowl -- is that the micro-batch set accessory but a new stainless steel version?

4 minutes ago, curls said:

When you mention the small bowl -- is that the micro-batch set accessory but a new stainless steel version?

That is correct.

I made a lid out of a part of my Donvier and a takeout food container that I cut with an ultrasonic knife. But the small bowl didn't spit the way the larger one did. 

IMG_5122.thumb.JPG.4433520bacd9fda2a1b404e61a715afe.JPGIMG_5125.thumb.JPG.a44d3a0d92ee18540a3f518e8e018de6.JPG

IMG_5121.thumb.JPG.f8fb94b3d7ce3dc10b0c115c9f11048d.JPGIMG_5127.thumb.JPG.06e5c979ff6422761a03ba5c11b86207.JPGIMG_5130.thumb.JPG.5b46a5f87b8ad176700e72b040db2466.JPGIMG_5131.thumb.JPG.cc00e2487912f93cd030810f11720394.JPGIMG_5142.thumb.JPG.f6113c9ec0fbe6e8cc8c72359e53151e.JPGIMG_5145.thumb.JPG.45a6067deebb68959b213931634e3200.JPG

One of the bonbons I made for the workshop uses this batch of strawberry chocolate. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Let me get an idea of how many people might want to take home the following so he brings enough stuff with him - 

4. new version of the big bowl with the metal bushings and stainless holder which is a set that includes the new metal rod and locking nut - version for the 8 lb and the 10 lb tilting 

I am very interested in the new 10 lb. tilting melager with stainless steel holder along with the micro-batch set accessory but I'm not sure that I am ready to buy them. So, I'm a maybe. Thought I was the only one attending this workshop that doesn't already own a melanger.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

That is correct.

I made a lid out of a part of my Donvier and a takeout food container that I cut with an ultrasonic knife. But the small bowl didn't spit the way the larger one did. 

IMG_5122.thumb.JPG.4433520bacd9fda2a1b404e61a715afe.JPGIMG_5125.thumb.JPG.a44d3a0d92ee18540a3f518e8e018de6.JPG

IMG_5121.thumb.JPG.f8fb94b3d7ce3dc10b0c115c9f11048d.JPGIMG_5127.thumb.JPG.06e5c979ff6422761a03ba5c11b86207.JPGIMG_5130.thumb.JPG.5b46a5f87b8ad176700e72b040db2466.JPGIMG_5131.thumb.JPG.cc00e2487912f93cd030810f11720394.JPGIMG_5142.thumb.JPG.f6113c9ec0fbe6e8cc8c72359e53151e.JPGIMG_5145.thumb.JPG.45a6067deebb68959b213931634e3200.JPG

One of the bonbons I made for the workshop uses this batch of strawberry chocolate. 

If I had health, wealth, and energy for culinary projects beyond canned soup and once a month orgeat, I'd sure be interested in that new small bowl.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Haley said:

I don’t have a melanger yet, but I definitely want one! I’ll for sure want a small bowl for whatever I get. I’ll look into them and let you know @Kerry Beal. I have never used one so I have tons of questions!

@Alleguede has been assigned to guide people through melanger use! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

I would like to have a stone grinder, to make "healthy" nutella with the fat from the hazelnuts, but it is very expensive.

They are sold in Europe as well with a 220 V option. 

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I would love to get a new version of the big bowl for our  tilting melanger....and maybe the small one as well.

26 minutes ago, Sue PEI said:

I am so looking forward to this - we still use the information and techniques we learned at the 2018 workshop.

Out of curiosity - what would be the thing you learned that you use most?

I've been keeping an eye on the weather forecast and it appears that we can expect some rain showers next Friday, which means that show and tell on my patio is probably not going to work out. Fortunately, I was able to switch our Saturday reservation at TCB to Friday night, so Saturday dinner is now Friday dinner. Those who are bringing goodies for Show and Tell can bring them with you to the restaurant and we can enjoy them after dinner. Just a reminder - the $25 charge for the Saturday dinner was food only, so we will all need to take care of our own beverages via the restaurant's bar. Dinner will be a taco bar with plenty of fillings and toppings to suit omnivores and vegetarians.

At the moment it looks like showers will continue into Saturday morning, but I am hoping the promise of clearing later in the day will hold and we can enjoy Saturday dinner at my place. I'd so love to host you all, so fingers crossed the weather gods cooperate!

• Like 1

Patty

On 5/12/2023 at 8:03 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Out of curiosity - what would be the thing you learned that you use most?

How to use the Melanger in our chocolate production.

Thanks to Rodney, we make our own nut pastes and gianduja, and we also make a coffee chocolate.  Still working on the fruit varieties - have yet to find one we think tastes great.  

5 hours ago, Britney said:

I would love a small bowl melanger! I can’t wait to meet everyone!

So you mean an 8 lb melanger with an additional small bowl?

On 5/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, patris said:

Time flies - we are two weeks out from the workshop! I'm shifting into serious planning mode for the Friday evening show and tell - I'm not going to jinx us by saying anything about the weather, but the plan is drinks (red/white/rose and seltzers, both hard and ...soft?) and enough goodies to make a meal and then some (think pizzas, charcuterie, veggie  and cheese trays, and assorted other treats and nibbles), all enjoyed al fresco on my patio. To help me plan quantities, please let me know if you won't be joining us so I don't overdo it, either culinarily or budgetarily.

I will just offer a recommendation that you plan to bring a sweater or jacket - a 65-degree evening in Buffalo is practically swimming weather for us natives, but those of you from warmer climes might want to make sure you've got what you need for your own personal climate control.

I will be unable to make it, now that we've switched the evening at your home to Saturday night due to the weather.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:17 AM, lironp said:

@Kerry Beali am happy to demo any of the design techniques i use for my store if there is interest. Also, in my previous life in eguullet there was a lot of interest in a whipped ganache i had learned that i am happy to share the recipe for

Yes please!  

33 minutes ago, Sue PEI said:

I will be unable to make it, now that we've switched the evening at your home to Saturday night due to the weather.

As a Buffalo native I should have known to wait a bit, but this may yet change! Now it is looking like Saturday will be showery. I’m going to wait until later in the week to call it and hope the restaurant can accommodate.

• Like 1

Patty