Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Buying tea in Singapore and Hong Kong

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarkinHouston

MarkinHouston
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

My wife will be in Sinapore, Manila, and Hong Kong on business, and i am going along for the experience. Are there partiular places to purchase quality teas, maybe for a better price than is available in the states? Any rare or special Chinese blends that are worth trying? Thanks for any insight--I usually drink iced Luzianne or Tetley's to accomodate the Houston heat.

#2 Sartain

Sartain
  • participating member
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

In HK, try Sun Sing Tea House, which has branches in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong. They offer quality teas, teaware and tastings. The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about all kinds of tea, brew methods, etc.

Check out the site to see an example of what they offer (there are lots more in the shops than on the site) and prices (anywhere from $6-7US to $36-21 for 75g depending on the tea).

For a more traditional feel, try Ying Kee Tea House, which was founded in 1881 in Guangzhou and moved to HK in the 50's. It has branches all over HK.

Hope this helps. Happy tea hunting.
Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

#3 MarkinHouston

MarkinHouston
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

In HK, try Sun Sing Tea House, which has branches in Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong.  They offer quality teas, teaware and tastings.  The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable about all kinds of tea, brew methods, etc.

Check out the site to see an example of what they offer (there are lots more in the shops than on the site) and prices (anywhere from $6-7US to $36-21 for 75g depending on the tea).

For a more traditional feel, try Ying Kee Tea House, which was founded in 1881 in Guangzhou and moved to HK in the 50's.  It has branches all over HK. 

Hope this helps.  Happy tea hunting.

View Post

Thanks, Sartain! These are excellent resources, and I look forward to stopping into both places.

#4 memesuze

memesuze
  • participating member
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

You might contact the woman who does this blog Cha Dao - she recently returned from a trip to China [and possibly other countries] - she may know of Singapore and Hong Kong haunts. She could, at the very least, give you some clues on how to go about shopping, wandering around, and sampling. I do recall being mesmerized by some of her adventures in the countryside and cities.

Edited by memesuze, 23 August 2007 - 06:31 PM.