Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your favorite brand of pasta

Italian

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

the fortification isn't the problem. It's the use of durum flour instead of only semolina, which makes barilla pasta made in america SUCK.
I use De Cecco and Di Martino Bronzo.

Maybe this is the time and place to ask: What is durum and semolina flours - how are they different?
I have seen one package of pasta recently that was made with "Durum Wheat Semolina" flour. What's that?

.... Shel

#62 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

My favorite brand of dry "pasta" (note quote marks) is actually Cipriani, with their egg-noodle line.  Wonderful stuff, just not exactly a buck for a pound.  Actually, quite a bit more.

WRT semolina-type non-eggy dry pasta, I don't have a particular overriding favorite.  I buy and eat various brands, both USAmerican and imported, but not the stuff along the lines of Muellers's or equivalent.  Brands I frequently buy include De Cecco, Ferrara, Garofalo, etc etc; with clearly artisanal types more infrequently.  (I used to buy Barilla's not infrequently but will no longer do so, and have thrown out my remaining Barilla stock)  Fresh pasta from local producers, of course, is the best in many (but not all) cases - when I make Pasta Carbonara, for example, IMO fresh pasta is not the best choice and a good DRIED pasta is much, much preferred.

ETA:  Would "pasta" include "noodles"?  After all, there are a great number of "pasta"/"noodle" products from all over, NOT just Italy - and one could murmur various things about all sorts of wonderful Chinese-type things in this field. ;-)

Edited by huiray, 11 October 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#63 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Maybe this is the time and place to ask: What is durum and semolina flours - how are they different?I have seen one package of pasta recently that was made with "Durum Wheat Semolina" flour. What's that?

Durum flour is what is called in Italy semola rimacinata (remilled semolina flour), it's a very fine semolina. I basically use it for bread making and fresh pasta southern style, or to cut white flour for egg pasta. Semolina, farina di semola, is used mainly for dry pasta. Only in Sardinia I believe they use it for fregula and other pastas or breads. It needs much longer kneading.
The coarser semolina, semolino in Italian, is used for gnocchi alla romana, dumplings, for semolina cream. That I know, not for fresh pasta like I've seen here. All of it is of course durum wheat.

#64 Jon Savage

Jon Savage
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Barrila's OK but I prefer TJ's (organic) even better  home made. YMMV.

Edited by 6ppc, 12 October 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

#65 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

For the past few months I've been using DelVerde, 'cause it's good, and about half the price of DeCecco. Then the other night I cooked some DeCecco and remembered why it is my favorite brand.

#66 Meredith380

Meredith380
  • legacy participant
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Always use Barilla no idea why, perhaps copying my mom and what I grew up,with other than fresh pasta.
  • annabelle likes this

#67 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I prefer Barilla, too.  The other pastas available here are American Beauty and the store brands.  Yuck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian