Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Coffee Mugs

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

I should have mentioned ceramic. Here's the kind of mug we've been using:

https://www.dogmt.co...etings-Mug.html

It meets almost all my criteria -- large capacity, 4-finger handle that doesn't get hot, tasteful (or at least amusing) design. The only problem is LEAD! With a simple pattern or plain color and lead-free glaze, it would be just right. Doesn't seem like it should be hard to find, but so far...

#62 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

It meets almost all my criteria -- large capacity, 4-finger handle that doesn't get hot, tasteful (or at least amusing) design. The only problem is LEAD! With a simple pattern or plain color and lead-free glaze, it would be just right. Doesn't seem like it should be hard to find, but so far...

I think some of the mugs at MUG HEAVEN  will fit your requirements.  I have two or three -  16 oz  Sedona moon, and Ocean moon and one of the tankards - Cobalt mocha - that I use for iced coffee in the summer. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#63 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Why do you think these cups have a leaded glaze? Have you asked?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#64 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

A web search brings up lots of sources that say any glazed ceramic mug that's cheap and made in Asia should be assumed to contain lead. Also, the one I showed is almost identical to several we got as public radio premiums, and our station recently sent out a warning about lead found in their mugs. 

#65 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

I understand the concern.  However, I was asking whether you know where the Dog Mountain mugs are made.  Even if the ceramic mugs are made in a country that's less lead-conscious than the Unites States, the finish may be done in Vermont at Dog Mountain.  They would be required to meet FDA approval for lead content as well as EPA approval for the amount of lead that can leach from the mug.  I don't know this particular operation except for what I've seen on their web site (what charming artwork!) but they sound like the type of operation that would be fairly safety- and health-conscious.

Here are links to a few of the many web sites I found discussing the likelihood of lead in a glaze, where you're likely to find it, and factors that affect its likelihood of leaching into your food:

Lakeside Pottery's article, "Lead in Ceramics and Pottery - Consumer Issues", discusses the issues for the consumer as well as the potter.  Note their assertion that if the glaze is fired properly the lead should be bound and not leachable.  I ran across that assertion more than once, at different sites that did not seem to be quoting each other.

This peer-reviewed article from the University of California's Agriculture Department, "Lead Leaching in Ceramics Difficult to Predict",  may be enough to convince you that you'll only want to use clear glass dishes forevermore.  However, they also have tips on the types, styles and sources of new ceramic dishware that are most likely to be safe, and they give information on how you can test for lead.  Test kits are inexpensive and readily available, by the way, but I understand that you'd rather purchase without having to test.  

The Australian government's Department of the Environment has posted this fact sheet titled "Lead alert facts:  Lead in ceramics" that you may also find useful.

My sense is that new ceramic mugs made in this country are likely to be safe enough to purchase without worry.  Back in 2004 I tested several of my glazed pots for lead and satisfied myself that they were safe to use.  However, as the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary.   :smile:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#66 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I was an art teacher with a major in ceramics and made these on the wheel.  If I had not retired, I could make some for you but now that I don't have a kiln anymore I can't.  The face mug would fit your requirements I think.  They are stoneware, lead free and don't get hot in the microwave.  I generally preferred to make smaller ones so the coffee didn't get cold before the cup was empty.

DSCF1848_zps8c620c46.jpg

DSCF1849_zps1fef8fc0.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews, 26 March 2014 - 07:47 PM.