Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Noisy Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 cookingdiva

cookingdiva
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Here in our country (Philippines), most customers will consider it rude if the restaurant is so noisy. We just want to relax and eat peacefully. I think it's much better if restaurants would be a relaxing background music that's not loud. It will allow the customers to easily hear each other. Plus, customers will be more relaxed without realizing that it's because of the music. :)

My Hungry Stomach - my personal food blog

Follow me on Twitter @YsabelaMeraz

#62 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

It is the curse of NYC dining.

There was a recent article, I think in the Times, pointing to research showing that people chew faster and eat more quickly in noisy settings, which of course enables restaurants to turn tables faster and make more money.

People also consume more alcohol in those settings - I know I do, it's one way to deal with the pounding chaos around you - and that is where the biggest profit margins are.

Sadly some of the restaurants serving the best food in New York these days have reflective surfaces, no carpeting, tables very close together, and loud music. The recent trend is also not to take reservations. So incredibly frustrating.