Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Largest Sous Vide?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

You may have seen the video of Heston's sous vide whole pig in a hot tub.

What is the largest piece of meat you have ever cooked sous vide?

How did you do it?

I have sous vided an 18 lb turkey.

I have done whole racks of spare ribs a few times.

I use oven baking bags for large size items and a beer cooler.

dcarch.

#2 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I believe my equipment has the ability to do this. Certainly think 3 packer briskets would fit in my 70 quart Coleman Extreme. Wonder how many days that would take?

That being said- nothing bigger than the size of my palm... :blink:

#3 doorkfood

doorkfood
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

How did you do the Turkey!? I'd considered this for Thanksgiving, but most of what I've read recommends splitting it up and cooking white/dark meats separately - which put me off.

I've done ribs many times, in brine and bagged. Generally the brine has produced better results, finish those up in a smoker. We often do large cuts of beef, my favorite so far is shoulder clod but I've done brisket, tri-tip, and others as well from about 10-30lbs. I'll cook it in the bag for 12-24 hours depending on the cut & thickness and then finish it with a rub & sear on the grill. I've done a small, whole pig in brine as well! Browned it on a spit before eating and it was delicious.

For this kind of big stuff, I use a Marshalltown bucket heater with my company's temp controller- either in a 5 gallon bucket with a towel over the top or an ice chest for the really big stuff. I find that the bucket can benefit from circulation (I use a bubbler) but the ice chest is fine without it. The only downside to this approach is that for brine items- like the pig- the bucket heater can get grimey and is tough to clean without a pressure washer! To solve that problem, I'd like to pick up something that's smooth on the outside instead, with no cavities, such as a heating tube for aquariums like this one.