Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

All About Rye Whiskey

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#331 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone else had McKenzie Rye from Finger Lakes Distilling? It is completely unlike other ryes that I've had (Russel, Wild Turkey, Baby Sazerac). It has an extremely spicy, dry rye presentation. I enjoy it neat, but haven't had much luck mixing with it so far. (And when I'm in the mood for something neat, it's likely to be Scotch.)

http://www.fingerlak...hp/our-products
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#332 biskuit

biskuit
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

Just picked up the new Bulleit 95 Rye, 95% rye mash, 90 proof, probably made at LDI who does Templeton Rye as well (though these are definitely not the same thing w a different label). It's a real nice sipping whiskey for $25, but is surprisingly lacking in rye character.

I did a little comparison w Rittenhouse BIB and Russell's Reserve at http://www.thirstyso...hree-fine-ryes/

The Rittenhouse BIB is a ridiculously good deal, picked mine up for $15. But hard to find.

#333 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

Where do you live? We've settled into stable Rittenhouse distribution here in RI for a year or so now.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#334 biskuit

biskuit
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'm in Atlanta - it's not that the Rittenhouse doesn't have distribution, but that it SELLS OUT!

Edited by biskuit, 01 March 2011 - 07:11 AM.

#335 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'll be visiting my mother in midtown in a couple of weeks and need to fortify myself since she's cranky these days. Where can I find a good selection of ryes (and decent prices) walking distance from 6th Ave and 57th St? The selection of ryes here in the east bay seems limited. I've finally located a source for Redemption, and I like that very much. To me it seems rather delicate (yes, apple-y) in flavor, and I like it for sipping. I've never seen any Rittenhouse here, but I would try it if I found some in NY. Any shopping tips?

#336 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Katie Meadow, "The selection of ryes here in the east bay seems limited."

East Bay as in Berkeley-ish?

Have you checked Ledger's?

Otherwise, a short BART trip can take you to Cask at Market and Kearny in San Francisco (Montgomery stop).
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#337 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

Place an order ahead of time. DrinkUpNY in Brooklyn is free shipping for >$100. Astor is down in the Village, but I bet they deliver, too.

I just returned from NYC, but alas didn't get it together to either order ahead of time or make it to a good store. Opportunity lost. I had 6 bottle of Massachusetts Contraband in my e-Cart before I realized I couldn't guarantee it would arrive before I left.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#338 philadining

philadining
  • society donor
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Has anyone else had McKenzie Rye from Finger Lakes Distilling? It is completely unlike other ryes that I've had (Russel, Wild Turkey, Baby Sazerac). It has an extremely spicy, dry rye presentation. I enjoy it neat, but haven't had much luck mixing with it so far. (And when I'm in the mood for something neat, it's likely to be Scotch.)

I like that Rye quite a lot, and I've had no trouble getting good results mixing it - I found it makes a delicious Manhattan with Carpano Antica (but then, what doesn't? so maybe that's not a good test...) and was also quite happy with it in a Sazerac with Herbsaint Original.

But I'll agree that it's got an interesting enough flavor that I like it straight too. I think it might be the sherry barrels they use for finishing that gives it an unusual twist. I look forward to seeing what they come up with when they can leave it a little longer to age, it's a little young, but surprisingly complex for its youth.

I recently noticed that Fingerlakes has released a bourbon as well, but I haven't had a chance to taste that yet.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

#339 Boilerfood

Boilerfood
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Katie Meadow, "The selection of ryes here in the east bay seems limited."

East Bay as in Berkeley-ish?

Have you checked Ledger's?

Otherwise, a short BART trip can take you to Cask at Market and Kearny in San Francisco (Montgomery stop).

For that matter, Draegor's in Blackhawk had a decent selection. I found close to a dozen bottles of Rittenhouse BIB there this summer. Cask is always dangerous, I go in there for one thing, and leave with six.

#340 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Field trip to Ledger's scheduled for tomorrow, thanks! Blackhawk maybe not so convenient, but I'll try to remember next time I pass by that way.

#341 Ian McCarthy

Ian McCarthy
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Digging the new Bulleit rye. A little heavier mouthfeel, and a bit sweeter than I am used to. It's not punching through other broad-shouldered ingredients quite like Rittenhouse BIB does, but it is shining through well in simple preparations. Very, very, very good old fashioneds were made the last few nights.

#342 PetersCreek

PetersCreek
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Place an order ahead of time. DrinkUpNY in Brooklyn is free shipping for >$100.

Thanks for mentioning DrinkUpNY. I'd never heard of them but gave them a look and wound up ordering a couple of whiskies. Of course, I don't qualify for the free shipping (Alaska rarely does) but the shipping cost was quite reasonable at $19.99 for the two bottles.

As for what I ordered:

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Cask Strength Straight Rye Whiskey
Parker's Heritage Collection 10-Year-Old Wheated Mashbill Cask Strength KSBW (off topic for this thread, of course)

#343 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

eje, thanks so much for the Ledger's tip. I never knew about it, but I've driven by it a zillion times. Incredibly sweet people. So, I bit--bought--the Bulleit. It's delicious! And price seems great, compared to Redemption. The Redemption is $27.99 and the Bulleit is $21.99 at Ledgers. BevMo is now selling Redemption for the same price, but other places sell it for more.

#344 Kohai

Kohai
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Just picked up a bottle of Templeton at Cask. The employee who grabbed it for me said that what was currently being sold was actually whiskey from a different distillery - she didn't know where - that Templeton was bottling because its own whiskeys weren't ready for bottling yet (not aged long enough).

This sounded strange to me but the employee wasn't really able to tell me much more. Can anyone shed any light on what she was talking about? Other people have told me that this information was not correct.
Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

#345 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

Templeton has a small still at its distillery in Iowa, with which it produces some small batches of products which are sold locally.

The product that it sells commercially as Templeton Rye is produced by LDI in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and only bottled at the Templeton plant.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#346 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

FWIW, as far as I know, the Ryes currently known to be made by LDI, (and you can tell if the brand plays up the 95% Rye and 5% Malted Barley Mashbill,) are:

Bulleit Rye
Redemption Rye
Willet 2 Year Rye
Templeton Rye

I believe High West also sometimes sources some Rye Whiskey from LDI for their Whiskies.

edit, oops, the Willet made at LDI is the 2 year rye.

Edited by eje, 12 March 2011 - 12:58 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#347 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Does anyone think Templeton tastes and smells like dill? Is this what Chris means by "rye flavor"? I think rye bread tastes a bit like dill.

I did a side-by-side comparison with Rittenhouse BIB, and I still like Rittenhouse much more. I thought it odd that Templeton is almost devoid of any wood taste.

Edited by Kent Wang, 12 March 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#348 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

Ouch ouch. Can anyone explain this price disparity? At Ledger's in Berkeley we bought a bottle of Bulleit for $21. Now I'm in NY and today I shopped my mother's midtown neighborhood (admittedly pricey all around) for some rye to last me the week. Did find one place that sells Bulleit....for $52 a bottle! How's that even possible? No Rittenhouse (so elusive!), no Redemption. So I settled for comfy Old Overholt, which only cost me a few dollars more than I pay at home. I don't plan to keep searching, but I'm curious to know if east coast prices are typically higher.

#349 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

No, prices aren't that much different on the coasts. I've shopped all around LA, SF, and Portland, and prices are more or less comparable, taking into account distribution issues. That makes me wonder whether Bulleit got a container of cases out west but only a few made it into the NYC market. Who knows.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#350 Kohai

Kohai
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info, Erik.
Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

#351 Corinna

Corinna
  • participating member
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I like that Rye quite a lot, and I've had no trouble getting good results mixing it - I found it makes a delicious Manhattan with Carpano Antica (but then, what doesn't? so maybe that's not a good test...) and was also quite happy with it in a Sazerac with Herbsaint Original.

But I'll agree that it's got an interesting enough flavor that I like it straight too. I think it might be the sherry barrels they use for finishing that gives it an unusual twist. I look forward to seeing what they come up with when they can leave it a little longer to age, it's a little young, but surprisingly complex for its youth.

I recently noticed that Fingerlakes has released a bourbon as well, but I haven't had a chance to taste that yet.

I have tasted both in their tasting room a couple times (I live in the region and work in the industry.) They recently released a nice wheat whisky as well. I haven't splurged for a bottle of their whisky yet, so I haven't played with mixing. I've been very happy with the gin and fruit liqueurs I have purchased though.
Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna
Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

#352 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Grabbed a bottle of Bulleit rye this week and have been playing around with it. Made a great Improved OF with homemade bitters, maraschino, and Marteau absinthe. Lovely stuff.

I just did a tasting of Rittenhouse BIB and the Bulleit. I think that the Bulleit has a more pronounced rye flavor and is significantly drier than the RIttenhouse. Don't prefer one or the other; both have a nice place in my cabinet. Unlike, say, Redemption rye, which I was glad to finish off and not replace.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#353 Dan Perrigan

Dan Perrigan
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Chris -- have you tried the High West Rendezvous Rye yet? I find it delicious for sipping, and the best rye I've had in a Sazerac.

Dan

#354 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

No, I haven't. But I do have a second bottle of Thomas H. Handy rye... um... handy, and that has been just fine, just fine.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#355 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

Grabbed a bottle of Bulleit rye this week and have been playing around with it. Made a great Improved OF with homemade bitters, maraschino, and Marteau absinthe. Lovely stuff.

I just did a tasting of Rittenhouse BIB and the Bulleit. I think that the Bulleit has a more pronounced rye flavor and is significantly drier than the RIttenhouse. Don't prefer one or the other; both have a nice place in my cabinet.

Is it widely available - sounds like a must have.

Chris -- have you tried the High West Rendezvous Rye yet? I find it delicious for sipping, and the best rye I've had in a Sazerac.

Agreed, good stuff.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#356 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

The Rendezvous Rye is one of my absolute favorites. I need to pick some more up next time I'm somewhere I can get my hands on it. Maybe in Chicago next week.

#357 davidkeay

davidkeay
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

I'm curious to know if east coast prices are typically higher.

An old comment, but to weigh in - your midtown store was an anomaly! I picked up the bulleit rye near brooklyn heights for around $32. I'm also sure I saw their bourbon for a similar price around 23rd and 7th, so they're around!

Still, I'd love to be able to pick it up for $21.

#358 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

An old comment, but to weigh in - your midtown store was an anomaly! I picked up the bulleit rye near brooklyn heights for around $32. I'm also sure I saw their bourbon for a similar price around 23rd and 7th, so they're around!

As I mentioned in another thread, a friend of mine found Bulleit Rye for me somewhere in Maryland and reported that it was selling for $21.99.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#359 Mark Muller

Mark Muller
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, a friend of mine found Bulleit Rye for me somewhere in Maryland and reported that it was selling for $21.99.

Yesterday I bought Bulleit Rye in Austin TX (specs on airport) for ~$23. It was about $1 more than Rittenhouse BiB, and $2 more than Wild Turkey. I sipped some and compared with Rittenhouse BiB. It is different than the Rittenhouse, but not hugely so, and I don't think I really have a preference for one over the other - both make a tasty Manhattan. It is less aromatic than Rittenhouse. My next project is to make a side by side comparison of Manhattans and Old Fashioneds made with each.

Interestingly, they also were selling (ri)1 for ~$20 - a far cry from what it was priced the first time I ever saw any. At $20, (ri)1 isn't a bad buy at all.

#360 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Interestingly, they also were selling (ri)1 for ~$20 - a far cry from what it was priced the first time I ever saw any. At $20, (ri)1 isn't a bad buy at all.

For $20, I might be tempted.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes