Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Cook-Off 57: Bolognese Sauce

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

I never got around to making this back in November, but tonight I found myself with a big hunk of leftover rare roasted leg of lamb in the fridge, so I decided to do something like a Bolognese. The bones plus some scraps of meat and fat are simmering in the crock pot now, and earlier I sauteed sofritto, then added the lamb along with a big blob of tomato paste. Once the meat was cooked I added a bit of milk, just enough to make it a little saucy, then turned off the heat. This mixture is going to sit out on my deck overnight while the stock simmers. Tomorrow morning, I'll strain and defat the stock and add it back to the crock pot along with the meat mixture, then set it on Low (or maybe on Warm?) and let it go all day.

Note: I have no wine in the house, and while I do have some bacon, my wife doesn't like it.

#152 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

My bolognese
Shredded carrot, diced onion and celery sweated in Bacon fat. Lots of crushed garlic ...6 big cloves ...added to the sofrito at the last minute. Ground beef rendered and added to the sofrito. One big can diced tomatoes... two cups red wine...simmered for an hour...then reduced and a can of toasted tomato paste added. Simmer for an hour and probably longer.

#153 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

If making Bolognese for lasagne, do you adjust the recipe at all? The lasagnes I've had have all had a more liquid sauce (with more tomato in particular) than what appears to be typical of true Bolognese sauce.

Or perhaps an authentic Lasagne alla Bolognese is a considerably less "saucy" lasagne than I'm used to...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff