Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Middle Eastern Cookbooks

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

We definitely love Najmieh Batmanglij for Persian cuisine, especially the new edition of Food of Life

#32 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

We definitely love Najmieh Batmanglij for Persian cuisine, especially the new edition of Food of Life

Ah yes, another great one

#33 biscuta

biscuta
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

Flavors Of The Nile On Your Budget is a perfect e-book for Egyptian and Middle Eastern food lovers. The book includes recipes that come straight out of the heart of Egypt. And the book is perfect for beginners.   

Amazon Link

#34 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm glad to hear there's now an e-book for Egyptian cooking. I'll have to check that out.

Since the last time I checked in on this topic, I've fallen in love with "Alice's Kitchen: My Grandmother Dalal & Mother Alice's Traditional Lebanese Cooking", by Linda Dalal Sawaya. It's the family cookbook, with bits of family history and photos, and charming artwork by Ms. Sawaya. It's a small paperback book, easily carried around and inexpensive to purchase. I particularly appreciate it now that I've gone to the trouble of putting together and distributing a collection of family photos with stories for our extended family. But best of all, the recipes work... and they work in the way that practical, practiced homemakers develop ways to cook meals for their loved ones. I now can make crackers, thanks to this book. I'm getting a grip on making 2 or 3 different styles of flatbread, and the thomeyya (Lebanese version of aioli) is closest to what I remember from a favorite Lebanese restaurant in Cairo.

I keep coming back to this book and digging deeper, and I'm a big fan. I'll add an Amazon link. Moderators, please feel free to make it eGullet friendly.

Amazon Link

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#35 bethesdabakers

bethesdabakers
  • participating member
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Flavors Of The Nile On Your Budget - a mere £1.88 on UK Amazon - didn't take a lot of buying.

Mick Hartley
The PArtisan Baker
bethesdabakers
"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

#36 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

$18.00 $USD! WTF? Dayum, not so cheap after all! Oooops, looked again, saw the "used" price; for .48 USD + shipping $3.99, I'll think about it! May need a Happy New Year to Me present, too!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#37 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

$18.00 $USD! WTF? Dayum, not so cheap after all! Oooops, looked again, saw the "used" price; for .48 USD + shipping $3.99, I'll think about it! May need a Happy New Year to Me present, too!

I guess it IS all relative, isn't it? I was thinking in terms of cost for a new cookbook, and you must have been thinking in terms of cost for a new paperback. :-) I've bought plenty of used books over the years and been just as happy with them.

At any rate, I think it's a great little book.

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#38 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Am I missing something? Wrong link? Try Biscuta's link, not Smithy's. On my pooter, it shows $3.00. Or free if you borrow under Prime membership.

Edited by Ttogull, 15 December 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#39 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Am I missing something? Wrong link? Try Biscuta's link, not Smithy's. On my pooter, it shows $3.00. Or free if you borrow under Prime membership.

I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I thought Judiu was talking about "Alice's Kitchen".  If she meant something else, I apologize for the confusion.

#40 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

I love this book. It has a variety of recipes, not just couscous recipes:
The Great Book of Couscous: Classic Cuisines of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia

Amazon Link

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#41 ash

ash
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

i always find myself referencing saha (greg malouf) and jerusalem (ottolenghi) and i'd recommend both of them in a heart beat. they're both great books.

#42 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

The three books by Yotam Ottolenghi, Ottolenghi - The Cookbook, Jerusalem, and Plenty all are really good. Ottolenghi came out in 07 in England I guess, was just released here in the US and is sitting 3 inches to my left right now, together with my shopping list for sumac, Za-Atar, rose and orange water. Which I'll get momentarily I hope, in the little middle eastern store here. Great looking recipes, fun little stories with most (all?) of them, which I love. Puts dishes in a nice context.

• Pam R likes this
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook