Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, robirdstx said:


Hi Patti,

 

Can you share your recipe for the rice dressing?

 

We make rice dressing a couple of different ways. These days after we make the meat mixture, we freeze half as it's just too much. Half is ample for the two of us, plus leftovers.  (I say "we" because both my husband and I make it, but we do it pretty much the same way.) 

 

1 lb of ground beef

1 1 lb container of dressing mix. Frozen dressing mix is easily found in south Louisiana. Depending on the brand, it usually contains pork, chicken liver and gizzards. Our favorite brand is Harold's, but Richard's and Savoie's brands are more popular. Harold's was the first commercially made one and we've stuck with it. When we don't have a prepared mix, we use 1 lb of ground pork and don't add in chicken livers or gizzards, cuz we're lazy like that.

1 diced white or yellow onion

1 diced bell pepper (we use red, traditional is green)

A stalk or two of diced celery is traditional. I use some if I have it, but I don't worry about it if I don't.

1 cup of stock, either beef or chicken

4 or so cloves of minced garlic

White rice (3 cups of raw rice, cooked)
Green onions.

Sauté the veg in fat of choice. Add ground beef, browning and chopping it up kind of finely as it browns. Add thawed container of dressing mix (otherwise, add ground pork at the same time as the ground beef). Mix and add a little stock. Season generously with Tony's (or salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika). Let it simmer for 20 minutes or so. If you're freezing some, remove half from the pot now. Add white rice, folding and mixing it in until it is well mixed. Taste for seasoning, adjust, and then add chopped green onions.

Re: dressing mix. Some people don't mix it with ground beef, but use it as is. It's a stronger taste than we like. Some people don't want any hint of liver in theirs, we like some. Recipes vary over south Louisiana. My mother always used short grain rice for hers. My mother-in-law used long grain. I use medium grain.

 



1856528868_Harolds-Cajun-Rice-Dressing-Mix-350x350.jpg.3e44c39ab8b591cb3556a6d2d6e09eed.jpg

 

1308224433_Richards-Premium-Rice-Dressing-Mix-175x175.jpg.27d1ffa3fd487671fc20ee30f9cdf1a7.jpg

 

981794697_savoiesdressingmix.jpg.e6cc8bd6cc66b79667f47f66b467c0b5.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites

For my birthday dinner last night, I requested a pasta, with no red or cream sauce.  Mi esposo made penne with cauliflower, bacon and toasted bread crumbs.

 

 

pasta.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I need this in my life.  Could you post the chicken liver recipe please?  I actually have pomegranate molasses.

 

The recipe is easy peasy. Also, I forgot to add the sugar and didn't miss it.

 

http://www.kathrynbruton.com/recipes/chicken-liver-with-pomegranate-molasses/

 

Ingredients

SERVES 4

500g chicken liver, washed and trimmed of any sinew

4 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses

5-6 garlic cloves, sliced thinly

Knob of butter

1-2 tbsp of olive oil

1 tsp of caster sugar

Pomegranate seeds and coriander to garnish (optional)

Method

  1. Heat the oil in a pan big enough to hold the chicken livers
  2. When hot, fry the chicken livers until browned on each side, about 7-10 minutes, depending on how you like them cooked
  3. Remove from the pan and set aside momentarily
  4. Add the butter and allow to melt, it should foam
  5. Add the sliced garlic and fry for about 30 seconds
  6. Return the chicken liver, add the pomegranate molasses and sugar and stir
  7. Allow the molasses to bubble on a very low heat for about 1 minute
  8. Season to taste - I like to serve mine garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander or parsley
 
PS - I had some pomegranate seeds in the freezer and they may have been there a while. The color didn't pop.
Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, patti said:

 

The recipe is easy peasy. Also, I forgot to add the sugar and didn't miss it.

 

http://www.kathrynbruton.com/recipes/chicken-liver-with-pomegranate-molasses/

 

Ingredients

SERVES 4

500g chicken liver, washed and trimmed of any sinew

4 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses

5-6 garlic cloves, sliced thinly

Knob of butter

1-2 tbsp of olive oil

1 tsp of caster sugar

Pomegranate seeds and coriander to garnish (optional)

Method

  1. Heat the oil in a pan big enough to hold the chicken livers
  2. When hot, fry the chicken livers until browned on each side, about 7-10 minutes, depending on how you like them cooked
  3. Remove from the pan and set aside momentarily
  4. Add the butter and allow to melt, it should foam
  5. Add the sliced garlic and fry for about 30 seconds
  6. Return the chicken liver, add the pomegranate molasses and sugar and stir
  7. Allow the molasses to bubble on a very low heat for about 1 minute
  8. Season to taste - I like to serve mine garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander or parsley
 
PS - I had some pomegranate seeds in the freezer and they may have been there a while. The color didn't pop.

This sounds heavenly.  I must find some livers soon.  Thank you!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That version of chicken livers also works really well with caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar reduction, if pomegranate molasses is too hard to source.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

That version of chicken livers also works really well with caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar reduction, if pomegranate molasses is too hard to source.

 

Or hot pepper jelly. Duck livers make it special. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scamhi said:

pan seared Bryan Flannery hangar steak with sautéed broccoli

and a nice Langhe Nebbiolo to drink

IMG_2574 2.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

The steak looks beautiful!  Too bad there's that vile green weed on the plate... hehehe....  How were the tannins on the nebbiolo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The steak looks beautiful!  Too bad there's that vile green weed on the plate... hehehe....  How were the tannins on the nebbiolo?

the langhe nebbiolo was light in color and quite open. no grippy tannins.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, patti said:

chicken livers with pomegranate molasses

 

Yum, yum, Patti!
I see you've already posted instructions, so thanks.

Edited by TdeV (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

As they say in real estate, location, location, location.

You now live in Florida so you really can't expect the restaurants to be great, I'm sorry to say (as someone who visited the state many times over 20 - 25 years). 

 

However, if you find yourself in Tampa, there's always Bern's. 

 

 

One further. When in Tampa, go down into Ybor City and go to Columbia. The flamenco dancers are worth the trip, but the food ain't bad, either.

 

 

@CantCookStillTry, in those occasions, I recommend wine. However, a full Southern Special (eggs @your choice, bacon or country ham, biscuits, gravy, sliced tomatoes, fried apples, hash browns) never goes amiss.

 

  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pasta with cherry tomatoes, spinach salad. 
 

21C058AF-CB71-458E-835E-FB9A58E25FA1.jpeg.9f1b721f4c339f363d30ba06a79d824a.jpeg

 

 

A1EBADE4-F5D7-46DA-B2D2-06923FD9F98E.jpeg.67739d62999c3f2bf8b20eab76ef986a.jpeg

 

 

BC2ED826-8EC1-43CE-8025-56DB95F86270.jpeg.55fee3c1cf0add6fa560ce52fa19fa16.jpeg

  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, son #2 (17) just bought a small home and is preparing to move out in December. Suddenly he has realized that he needs some cooking skills!

 

Tonight our oldest daughter took him under her wing and they made pizza and salad. One was a like a margherita but with a balsamic reduction sauce, and the other had a basic tomato sauce, with salami.

 

They did great at everything except the cleanup...which is par for the course I guess.

62966496-D372-427C-845E-811DCEDBE019_1_201_a.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My eG Food Blog (2011)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supper was Maple and Mustard Salmon, except I used steelhead trout. Same colour😊
Trying to use up some hash brown potato patties I picked up for the grandkids.
Liked this recipe by Chef Michael Smith. I did the fish on a baking sheet with ridges and in the oven. It was easy and quick.

 

                                                     1852712692_MapleMustardSteelheadTrout2487.jpg.057c63b81bcd75c7534bf51046964802.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what I do, I can't really make this look as delicious as it actually tastes - even Rosie rolls her eyes...

 

425276290_Chirashi10-28.jpeg.09ec635b9f3ecfd48b37b52b8885c473.jpeg

 

Chirashi.  With poached shrimp, poached scallops, ikura, and Sockeye salmon, which I smoke roasted (barely cooked) in the CSO (don't ask).

 

And avocado and pickled ramp!

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

No matter what I do, I can't really make this look as delicious as it actually tastes - even Rosie rolls her eyes...

 

425276290_Chirashi10-28.jpeg.09ec635b9f3ecfd48b37b52b8885c473.jpeg

 

Chirashi.  With poached shrimp, poached scallops, ikura, and Sockeye salmon, which I smoke roasted (barely cooked) in the CSO (don't ask).

 

And avocado and pickled ramp!

 

 

What are the beige discs just north of the scallop?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is an old Lidia Bastianich recipe of spareribs roasted with vinegar, honey and red pepper.

Served with sautéed cabbage. cumin seeds, onion, garlic and serrano chili

Fleurie to drink- no picture

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Indonesian inspired noodles - a mixture of both egg noodles and flat rice noodles. Sauce with some caramel, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, coconut, chili, turmeric, toasted coriander seeds, lime, makrut lime leaves. Marinated fried tempeh, stir fried zucchini, peanuts, Thai basil. Pickled chilies on the side.

 

PXL_20201020_191310968.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...