• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: robirdstx (2011) - My Spring Break: By The Bay And Throug

Hi all. Time has sprung forward, so its time for My Spring Break Blog to begin. Today, DH and I will be going down to Galveston Island, but first let me welcome you to our home and show you around a bit.

Please take a seat and I'll show you my kitchen.

Kitchen-01.jpg

We are fortunate to have a good sized kitchen with lots of counter space and lots of cabinets and drawers.

Kitchen-02.jpg

Kitchen-03.jpg

See my new rice cooker. Love it!

Kitchen-10.jpg

Kitchen-12.jpg

The double ovens come in handy. The top one has a broiler and is self-cleaning.

Kitchen-13.jpg

Kitchen-15.jpg

Time to make some breakfast. I'll be back soon.

Looking forward to following your foodblog! I've only been to Galveston once, but it was a fascinating place. I'm eager to read more about the foodways there.

Which Zojirushi is that?

Thanks Chris. I live less than 25 miles from the Island but always feel like I'm on vacation when I go down there. We'll be having lunch there today and we'll be sure to take photos to share.

My rice cooker model is the NS-VC05. I haven't made a bad batch of rice since getting this around Christmas last year. I particularly like the keep warm feature.

Just a light breakfast today - want to leave lots of room for lunch! I love my "new" old Toastmaster toaster that I found in an antique shop last month. My mom says its just like the one we had when I was growing up and it turns out my sister got one at a yard sale a few years back.

Breakfast-01.jpg

Breakfast-02.jpg

And my avatar doggie, Morgan, had her usual this morning - some moistened Innova kibble and part of a thawed frozen raw food chicken patty.

Breakfast-03.jpg

Time to get ready to roll on down to Galveston. See you when we get back later this afternoon!

And I would join Darienne in the maiming. Fantastic kitchen! And I adore your toaster – it is EXACTLY the one that I grew up with. My parents got it as a wedding gift in the late 1950’s and I don’t think that my mother replaced it until the 1980’s. I would love to find one. I am really looking forward to your week!

And I would join Darienne in the maiming. Fantastic kitchen! And I adore your toaster – it is EXACTLY the one that I grew up with. My parents got it as a wedding gift in the late 1950’s and I don’t think that my mother replaced it until the 1980’s. I would love to find one. I am really looking forward to your week!

We had that same toaster, too!!!

Looking forward to this week. I've always wanted to visit down there!

Darienne and Kim Thanks! I didn't know how good I had it with this kitchen when we bought this house. My priority at the time was a good backyard for the dogs (we had four at that time).

My mom says she doesn't remember exactly when she got her toaster but she thinks it was a wedding gift when she and my dad got married in 1953.

Lovely kitchen. Is that a wireless weather station on the right hand side of your breakfast bar?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely kitchen. Is that a wireless weather station on the right hand side of your breakfast bar?

Thanks Anna. Yes, that is one of my DH's toys. The breakfast bar is where we have most of our meals but we also have the option to use our dining room (it faces east and is nice in the morning).

Kitchen-18.jpg

And when the weather is nice we like to eat out on the patio by the pool.

Patio.jpg

Galveston Island Part I - Seawall Blvd. After crossing the causeway to the Island, we made our way over to Seawall Blvd at 61st and cruised down to 12th, with stops for photo ops and shopping at Murdochs.

The Spot

Seawall-01.jpg

Fish Tales

Seawall-02.jpg

Benno's

Seawall-03.jpg

We stopped at Benno's for a brew and some fries and had a sit down to listen to and watch the waves. Beautiful day - lovely breeze, low humidity, and temps in the low 70s.

Seawall-04.jpg

Galveston Island Part II - Katie's Seafood Market. After finishing our sit down at Benno's, we crossed the Island to the harbor side. Katie's, at pier 19, is where I took the snapper teaser photo. Today we were in search of a whole fresh fish to cook on the grill for dinner tonight. And we found it at Katie's.

Galveston-01.jpg

We chose a 2 lb red snapper.

Katies-01.jpg

Gutting and scaling our fish of choice. (Sorry about the blur.)

Katies-02.jpg

While we waited, I took some more photos to share with you.

Katies-03.jpg

Katies-04.jpg

Katies-05.jpg

Katies-06.jpg

Katies-07.jpg

Condiments and Sauces for your fish.

Katies-08.jpg

Our fish is ready. (Not shown, but the fish went into our cooler and was topped off with lots of ice to keep it cold until we got back home.)

Katies-09.jpg

Behind the scenes - go out and around and behind Katie's to where the boats pull up and you may see this:

Galveston-04.jpg

Local Fishermen!

Galveston-05.jpg

And if you look towards the harbor you may see this:

Galveston-08.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

I'm loving this... getting a guided tour of a place I know and learning something new! Benno's is one of my favorite stops on the Island; I've heard of Fish Tales and The Spot but never stopped but Katie's is brand new to me.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more.

I love to eat outside. Please include pics of your dogs. Do you still have four?

Hi Karlos. I agree, eating out of doors always takes me back to picnics in the park. We purchased this house nine years ago so, sadly, only one of the dogs is still with us. But she is a treasure! Every morning after she has her breakfast she enjoys her jerky treat. Her snood helps to keep her ear feathers clean while she eats.

Breakfast-04.jpg

I'm loving this... getting a guided tour of a place I know and learning something new! Benno's is one of my favorite stops on the Island; I've heard of Fish Tales and The Spot but never stopped but Katie's is brand new to me.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more.

I'm so glad and thanks!

Galveston Island Part III - Harborside, The Strand, And More. After leaving Katie's we found a place to park just off The Strand and took off on foot to work up an appetite for lunch. Here is some of what we saw on our stroll.

The Olympia Grill - Greek food - haven't dined there yet.

Strand-01.jpg

Willie G's - good stuff!

Strand-02.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf - one of my favorites - great deck for dining outside!

Strand-03.jpg

We wandered into this wine shop!

Strand-04.jpg

Strand-05.jpg

Strand-06.jpg

Black Pearl - I dined here last time I was in Galveston

Strand-10.jpg

and this is what I had - wonderful grilled fish tacos!

Strand-11.jpg

Today we are having lunch at the Gumbo Bar.

Strand-12.jpg

First up, a thirst quencher.

Strand-13.jpg

Many choices!

Strand-14.jpg

After placing our order, we watched the action.

Strand-15.jpg

Strand-16.jpg

DH had the Lil Daddy Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. This is the small size!

Strand-17.jpg

I had the Shrimp Po-Boy Shorty and the Fresh-cut Potato Fries.

Strand-18.jpg

After lunch at the Gumbo Bar we strolled back to our car and left the Island for Alvin to get some strawberries at Froberg's Vegetable and Fruit Farm. They have the best strawberries and other great produce!

Frobergs-01.jpg

You can purchase already picked fruit, like we did

Frobergs-02.jpg

Frobergs-03.jpg

Frobergs-04.jpg

or you can pick your own!

Frobergs-05.jpg

The atmosphere at the farm was awesome! The pictures don't show it but there were families everywhere. The farm has a playground for the children and tables for having a picnic.

Frobergs-06.jpg

Frobergs-07.jpg

In addition to the strawberries, we bought this little thyme plant to put in the garden.

Frobergs-08.jpg