• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: robirdstx (2011) - My Spring Break: By The Bay And Throug

Those grilled lobster tails are magnificent. What kind of lobster, and how was it grilled? Served with? Thank you!

We all loved them! They were cold water tails, from Sam's Club, taken out of their shells, sliced length-wise and cooked on a gas grill at my mom's home. While the tails were cooking, they were basted with a softened butter and granulated garlic mix. Along with the lobster, we had a boneless prime rib that was roasted in the oven, a salad of chopped romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with bottled Caesar dressing, and homemade rolls made by a friend in my mom's bridge club. We dined on the patio under the stars, again! We could not have asked for better weather for this family gathering.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Great looking rellenos! I had my first in Santa Rosa NM on a marathon trip from the east to Arizona and have never come close to the goodness since. But that looks like a worthy contender.

And thanks for the photos of the pottery.

Yes, my sister thought they were very worthy! And you are welcome regarding the pottery. I just love bowls!

Good point on the cold water tails. We often have sales here in Southern California and some markets have the warm water ones and other the cold. I understand the difference in firmness is significant. I recently had a lobster mac and cheese so I am planning a run to get a live one and doing the tail per your scenario and the rest of the meat in the M n' Ch

I am home again. It is so comforting to be back in my own home and kitchen. Even though I had a great time on my trip, I really missed cooking while away. Dinner tonight - Baked Potato Skins.

Baked Russet cut into quarters.

PotatoSkins-01.jpg

Most of the "meat" scooped out. Brushed with melted butter and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper.

PotatoSkins-03.jpg

Shells topped with shredded cheddar.

PotatoSkins-04.jpg

Shells baked for about eight minutes, at 400F, until skin is crispy and the cheese is melted.

PotatoSkins-05.jpg

Topped with bacon crumbles and thin sliced green onion; served with sour cream.

PotatoSkins-06.jpg

Comfort Food!

We all loved them! They were cold water tails, from Sam's Club, taken out of their shells, sliced length-wise and cooked on a gas grill at my mom's home. While the tails were cooking, they were basted with a softened butter and granulated garlic mix. Along with the lobster, we had a boneless prime rib that was roasted in the oven, a salad of chopped romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with bottled Caesar dressing, and homemade rolls made by a friend in my mom's bridge club. We dined on the patio under the stars, again! We could not have asked for better weather for this family gathering.

That sounds like a perfect outdoor surf & turf feast. How often do you do such combos?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I am bringing four jars home in my luggage - one each of his Flame Roasted Green Chile, Salsa de Jalapeno (El Macho Hot), Sun Dried Red Chile Sauce, and Salsa de Piquin (this one is his personal favorite for tacos). :biggrin:

Those salsa's look great! As does Don Rogelio!

How do you handle packing breakable food containers in your luggage for air travel?

I love extending the fun of travel by cooking at home with an unusual ingredient I've brought back with me.

Prior to the liquids ban, I used to love to bring home things like that, taking them carefully in my carry-on. I hate to check bags to begin with and they get so manhandled that I'm reluctant to pack breakables so I've been avoiding them.

Any tips for doing that successfully?

Thank you for blogging! Your photos are lovely and the Southwestern sunshine a treat to see on this very rainy weekend here in So Cal.

That sounds like a perfect outdoor surf & turf feast. How often do you do such combos?

Hi Peter, its one of my favorites, especially the surf part. At the family gathering, we had a couple of people that don't do seafood, for different reasons, so the beef was mainly for them - which left more lobster for the rest of us! :biggrin: At home, when I have grilled lobster or even shrimp, my DH will grill a beef ribeye. We probably do the surf and turf once every month or so.

I am bringing four jars home in my luggage - one each of his Flame Roasted Green Chile, Salsa de Jalapeno (El Macho Hot), Sun Dried Red Chile Sauce, and Salsa de Piquin (this one is his personal favorite for tacos). :biggrin:

Those salsa's look great! As does Don Rogelio!

How do you handle packing breakable food containers in your luggage for air travel?

I love extending the fun of travel by cooking at home with an unusual ingredient I've brought back with me.

Prior to the liquids ban, I used to love to bring home things like that, taking them carefully in my carry-on. I hate to check bags to begin with and they get so manhandled that I'm reluctant to pack breakables so I've been avoiding them.

Any tips for doing that successfully?

Thank you for blogging! Your photos are lovely and the Southwestern sunshine a treat to see on this very rainy weekend here in So Cal.

Hi blue_dolphin, I was a little torn between leaving the salsas with my mother or trying to wrap them well enough to make it home in my luggage. I finally decided that I really wanted to bring them home, so this is what I did. First, I put each jar in a quart sized ziplock baggie. Second, I wrapped each one individually in some of my clothing - I had enough t-shirts for this. Third, the cloth wrapped jar went into a plastic bag. The luggage I had turned out to be the perfect piece for this. I was able to put a protective layer, using other clothing, between the wrapped jars and the front and back sides of the suitcase. I'll filled in the exterior edges around the jars with more clothing. Finally, I used the straps in the case to keep the jars securely in place and crossed my fingers. The first thing I did when getting home was to check on the jars - and they all made the flight just fine. I can't wait to start playing with them.

And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. Hope you guys get some sunshine soon.

Took me until now to get to your blog, and I just read it in its entirety. Marvelous! Particularly loved the potato skins, one of my family's favorites as well (and quick and easy to make if you bake your potatos in the microwave). Your kitchen is lovely, and I envy you being so close to the coast with your access to good, fresh seafood, and far enough south there's fresh produce so much earlier than here. I'm making my first New Mexico trip in about six weeks, and will be looking forward to some of that wonderful food!

Oh, and add me to the list of those with kitchen envy. :)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Took me until now to get to your blog, and I just read it in its entirety. Marvelous! Particularly loved the potato skins, one of my family's favorites as well (and quick and easy to make if you bake your potatos in the microwave). Your kitchen is lovely, and I envy you being so close to the coast with your access to good, fresh seafood, and far enough south there's fresh produce so much earlier than here. I'm making my first New Mexico trip in about six weeks, and will be looking forward to some of that wonderful food!

Oh, and add me to the list of those with kitchen envy. :)

Thank you so much. We had some of the jalapeno salsa with chips today. Awesome! Have a great trip.