• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

No matter what I do, I can't really make this look as delicious as it actually tastes

I see you your delicious Chirashi and raise you my bland looking Bibimbap. I know it's not authentic, I used what I had, but it's a favorite around here! It was "sauced" after the picture with a soy mixture and Gochujang. 

1119490853_IMG_9635(1).jpg.87c5a295c59b5cd2adce5e8820ef356d.jpg

Here then is Tagliatelle with Sugo di Nana (Arezzo-style duck ragu). 

IMG_9745.jpg.cc13eaf3bb941f1f3ef3a4070129e407.jpg

And roast beef with little red potatoes. It might look a little overcooked. But it was fine. 

IMG_9671.jpg.d1fb524a0862d26ace57d19038c1b7e7.jpg 

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, kayb said:

One further. When in Tampa, go down into Ybor City and go to Columbia. The flamenco dancers are worth the trip, but the food ain't bad, either.

@CantCookStillTry, in those occasions, I recommend wine. However, a full Southern Special (eggs @your choice, bacon or country ham, biscuits, gravy, sliced tomatoes, fried apples, hash browns) never goes amiss.

I've eaten at the Columbia in Clearwater and agree - the food is pretty good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Creamy tomato bisque with sharp cheddar-chutney sandwich.  Both recipes are from the new Ina Garten cookbook

Looks really good but I draw the line at buying even one more cookbook at the present time! 😂 

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/27/2020 at 9:29 PM, patti said:

Yes, I will come back a bit later and post it!

Tonight’s dinner was chicken livers with pomegranate molasses. I’m so happy that it turned out as good as I’ve had it from a local restaurant, and was super simple to make. With parsley potatoes. Naan bread and salad didn’t make it into the pictures. 

444DA7DE-63B4-4CD9-984A-B6DEC01FCB6A.jpeg.563031f43722bed486dad4b6e880e0dd.jpeg

93582FEC-C549-4009-9893-92864C4BD32B.jpeg.060ce80eb550515b6161db3de38b6b43.jpeg

Got to  love a mess of chicken livers.   Looks delicious 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight was potato soup. Of which there are no photos because, well, potato soup just isn't photogenic. But it hit the spot on a chilly, dreary evening after a chilly, dreary day.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Shelby – I definitely have you fooled😁!  I am SO not organized.  I impose it on myself.  I grew up with a mom that was so naturally organized that she DIDN’T MAKE LISTS.   Maybe a shopping list for a major party or holiday, but pretty much no shopping or To-Do lists.  My life is chaotic enough – if I didn’t have a billion lists, it would be just wandering around in hip-deep crap chewing on raw/frozen food.  We would basically be cave men. 

@Franci– sorry you are having such bad luck with food in Sarasota.  My dad and stepmom live there and they say basically the same thing.  There are some fun German places and an “international” mini-mall on Gulf Gate Dr. near Gulf Gate Mall.  They say that the best food is at the Amish places, but that is really just American family-style food – not really your thing, I think.  If you’d like to try Columbia, there’s one in Sarasota, too – on St. Armand’s Circle.  We’ve been to the one in St. Augustine and liked it very much.  That opinion could be influenced by the fact that we were there on a scorching day and had a few too many pitchers of their delicious white sangria!

@patti – I’d love that liver.  But neither Mr. Kim nor Jessica will touch it.  And we aren’t entertaining.  I do have some frozen livers done in small amounts – maybe I can scale things down and do it just for me!

@CantCookStillTry – Happy Birthday🍰🎁

@Norm Matthews – your pork and potatoes look perfectly cooked.  When I want a really quick sauce for some breaded pork chops, I either do a pan sauce with a little Dijon and cream (evaporated milk works just fine) and shallots, if I have them or @Marlene's Easy Tonkatsu sauce.

@pastameshugana – Wow!  Congrats to the son!  Quite the successful young man!

@scamhi – I am not a fan of cooked cabbage, but that cabbage looks like something I’d eat (without the peppers).  Beautiful. 

Twelve cups of pork stock headed for the freezer:

IMG_3910.jpg.b6e960648750da0069e695296e9d4102.jpg

I started marinating country ribs for the char siu according to @Dejah's recipe.  These were some of the ribs after slicing:

IMG_3915.jpg.5ab5acfbdd41437e920c40658c0f1f57.jpg

I know that country ribs are fatty, but I’m wondering if these are too fatty.  Into the fridge:

IMG_3916.jpg.389a6d8cb471ec30c5a4979ebce4f800.jpg

Dinner last night – appetizer:

IMG_3917.jpg.9ae5583bdbccd9a6c742f0dada74c13d.jpg

Fixed up store-bought crab dip and baguette slices.

Chicken Kiev (frozen), long grain and wild rice, and broccoli salad:

IMG_3918.jpg.506a6b4f4162a562cf941ba273f00a56.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Looks really good but I draw the line at buying even one more cookbook at the present time! 😂 

Let your fingers do the walking

https://www.today.com/recipes/ina-garten-s-cheddar-chutney-grilled-cheese-recipe-t193304

https://www.today.com/recipes/ina-garten-s-creamy-tomato-bisque-recipe-t193306

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

1863093115_Congee10-29.jpeg.c4ecde88972dcf0177eb0eca9ac8654d.jpeg

Made my first-ever congee last night. Using Thai rice, with 50/50 just made vegetable stock and water. Happened to have a cooked pork chop from 2 nights before, so I threw the bone in to cook along with the rice. At the end, sliced up some of the chop, threw in some cooked mushrooms and onions, and topped with chili oil and scallions. Quite good.

To accompany...

866633174_Scallionpancakes10-29.jpeg.8c43fe1982950bb68fbb38a7f849aafb.jpeg

Scallion pancakes. But not the Chinese style knead the dough and then shallow fry. These are more based on the Korean style (pa jun) and are made with more of a pourable batter (pancake, right?).

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

1863093115_Congee10-29.jpeg.c4ecde88972dcf0177eb0eca9ac8654d.jpeg

Made my first-ever congee last night. Using Thai rice, with 50/50 just made vegetable stock and water. Happened to have a cooked pork chop from 2 nights before, so I threw the bone in to cook along with the rice. At the end, sliced up some of the chop, threw in some cooked mushrooms and onions, and topped with chili oil and scallions. Quite good.

To accompany...

866633174_Scallionpancakes10-29.jpeg.8c43fe1982950bb68fbb38a7f849aafb.jpeg

Scallion pancakes. But not the Chinese style knead the dough and then shallow fry. These are more based on the Korean style (pa jun) and are made with more of a pourable batter (pancake, right?).

I've never seen a brown congee before... then again, my congee experience is quite limited to basically hwat is served for breakfast on EVA airlines.  Do you know if it's commonly done that way?

• Like 1

Some days just really suck. But then you remember you have Bacon to cheer people up. 

Bacon Sammies for dinner to cheer up the kid. Yes he has Tomato Sauce, He's 7 and a heathen... I'm working on it 😂

Toasted bread because we're already in the humidity section of the year where even commercial bread only lasts 1 day if not fridged. 

20201026_194233.thumb.jpg.3bbff13a0e37eed7fe98a39fe90d0d98.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I started marinating country ribs for the char siu according to @Dejah's recipe.  These were some of the ribs after slicing:

IMG_3915.jpg.5ab5acfbdd41437e920c40658c0f1f57.jpg

I know that country ribs are fatty, but I’m wondering if these are too fatty.  Into the fridge

Sometimes, if there is a lot more fat than what I like, then I will trim some off. But, the fat chars 😋 and sorta melts off during cooking. And lean pork does not work for Char Siu Baos well.
I like this cut because it is done in strips and easy to do in the oven or BBQ  I used to hang the strips on a cross bar at the top of my oven...until it broke.
These are great on the BBQ outside, but this last week has not been pleasant to be outside.;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Quick IP Beef Stew with a small Sterling Silver round roast. It will never replace chuck roast for stew for me.
Made up some German potato dumplings from a package. Great for the sauce!

1634927515_StewDumplings2489.jpg.9170617edd6a8eb239e052e47dab4971.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Slow cooker venison stew over yellow rice- root veg, poblano, beef stock, red wine, etc. – not pretty (esp compared w Dejah's above) but good flavors and a strong anecdote to a cold, wet autumn day in NY!

20201027_184105.thumb.jpg.0ffcb43569522cf6fccc0addebe92357.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've never seen a brown congee before... then again, my congee experience is quite limited to basically hwat is served for breakfast on EVA airlines.  Do you know if it's commonly done that way?

Neither have I...but I did use the vegetable stock I had made, and it is fairly dark from mushrooms/red onions. And then I added mushrooms to the congee before serving.  I imagine most congee served here, like from the cart lady who used to be on the corner outside Wu's, or at Great NY Noodletown, et al. is made simply using water - because most of what I've had is fairly tasteless without the addition of lots of condimenti.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Neither have I...but I did use the vegetable stock I had made, and it is fairly dark from mushrooms/red onions. And then I added mushrooms to the congee before serving.  I imagine most congee served here, like from the cart lady who used to be on the corner outside Wu's, or at Great NY Noodletown, et al. is made simply using water - because most of what I've had is fairly tasteless without the addition of lots of condimenti.

I've never had the congee in NYC - only on the plane on EVA.  Interestingly enough, I think on EVA they use some kind of stock (probably pork) rather than water because it has a lot of flavor.  And they put some slivered ginger on top...  it looked like gruel, but definitely didn't taste like it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I've never had the congee in NYC - only on the plane on EVA.  Interestingly enough, I think on EVA they use some kind of stock (probably pork) rather than water because it has a lot of flavor.  And they put some slivered ginger on top...  it looked like gruel, but definitely didn't taste like it.

I had a ton of ginger in this one for sure.  And that chili oil I spooned on top I made with scallions, ginger and red chili.

Maybe it was also the red onion in that veg stock that added to the interesting color.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog